logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Koala
Koala
I was faced with the American Chinese buffet problem last night. We took my mother-in-law out for her favorite restaurant. I can't eat salt. Was there anything there without salt - very little. Oh the fresh fruit. That tasted like shoe leather. Depends on the restaurant. This place used enough oil and salt for 80 restaurants.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
It also depends on the kind of food you eat. If it's a roadside meal, then you don't know what's gone into the food.

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Personally, any food that you make yourself at home is healthy (or can be made healthier) since you are in control. You can adjust & decrease the amount of oil, butter, sauces, salt.....

Lightly cooked stir-frys with just a little oil & LOTS of flavor by way of aromatics, spices & herbs can make your veggies and lean proteins sing! Also, portion control & size are important too. Everything in balance & moderation :-)

When I visit China, the food there is very different -- more veggies, lighter sauces, not greasy or everything deep fried. It is however full of flavor!

This is the same for Indian food -- it's much healthier at home than in an Indian restaurant.

Last edited by SG_Indian_Food; 03/15/12 08:53 AM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
As with any other cuisine, it is what you make of it. I think traditional Chinese cooking is healthier than what you get at the local chinese restaurant (where everything is breaded, deep fried and covered in a sauce).

Steamed veggies in some broth with fish or chicken...yum

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lila-

I think the main ingredients have the potential to be very healthy. As Sadhana says, making it at home allows you to control the results.

I live 1 mile from China Town in Chicago and I find it rather oily. I often think a little now and then is okay, but eating it regularly couldn't be good for me. That said, I love the taste, but tend to go for Thai when I want it fast.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Dear Lila,
Where I live in the province of Quebec,you can have your food prepared in front of you,so YOU control what is put in your plate.

loong

J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
I have a favorite Chinese food dive here in Phoenix. The service is horrid the food is wonderful.I wonder if they barely pass health inspection. And on more than one occasion, I've wondered if they recycled food off of tables. A tall charge I know....but I do have strong reasons to be suspect. That said, Chinese food is healthy if you make healthy selections, avoid fried selections, ask for no MSG, and tell them to "go light" on the oil they use to stir fry. Funny note, the place where I go, the service is horrible and they would rarely follow any of my requests. And YES the food is still that good to overlook all of the other concerns.

b]JAMISE GRACE LIDDELL[/b]
[http://www.bellaonline.com/site/actionmovies] ACTION MOVIES[/url]

P
P
I think it is very much on the cooking of it. I used to buy alot of takeaway stuff that was definately not good for you! For the past year i have been cooking at home with ingredients i buy myself and so know what I am putting in it. I must say, there is a little thing called MSG that i had never heard of in my 'takeaway' days but will now not touch. It is an artificial flavour enhancer that nearly all takeaways had used, check labelling ingredients before buying your soy sauce and oyster sauce as it really is not good for you.

Last edited by Lila_Chinese_Food; 05/21/12 09:30 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I agree also that it very much depends on the ingredients used in preparation of the food. Most restaurants and pre-made box chinese food are laden with unhealthy ingredients.
My local newspaper ran a recipe for cashew chicken a while back, and the nutritional analysis showed the homemade version to be a healthy meal. It tastes better than already made, too smile

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
L
L
I think Chinese food is very healthy, Chinese exports to foreign things are carefully selected.Grew up in an eating Chinese food is very healthy. BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lila_Chinese_Food 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.