logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gecko
Gecko
I give my kitten (yeesh, he's nearly a year old now! Need to stop calling him that soon) a bowl of dry food every morning, and for "supper" he gets part of a can of wet food. Dry food is Iams, the wet is Purina shredded style.
My kitten has made it quite clear that if he decides that the type of wet food we bought is one he wants, it MUST be served chilled. wink I suppose he's odd in that he doesn't like people food at ALL. At the most he'll come sniff what we're having. Oh, except once when I made pork tenderloin, he did try licking the plate for that. I even tried giving him some chicken as a treat and he wasn't interested! Guess I trained him too well.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
See that's funny, I consider it *healthy* when cats lick up the gravy. They need moisture in their diet and they want that moisture. The gravy provides the moisture plus food. It's like us wanting soup - it fulfills both hunger and thirst at once. With the pouch food they will eat the "bits" too sometimes but sometimes they'll just lick up the gravy. We consider that fine in both cases.

It's much better for them than just drinking raw water - and considering how their tongues are shaped, the thicker liquid is much easier for them to ingest smile

When a cat eats dry food, the food actually acts as a sponge in their stomach, sucking the liquid out of them. So it dehydrates them, then eventually when it digests they get the liquid back again, but in the wild they don't really eat anything that's bone dry. So I definitely agree that even dry food should have a moisture sprayed on it smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
Oh I wasn't saying it's weird for him to like gravy, just THAT gravy when he won't touch any other kind if it's on people food.
Fortunately my cat does get enough water (not just from the wet food each night) but he LOVES his water fountain, I got a catit fountain, it has water that flows over a dome so he can lick it from the side.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes our cats love their fountains too! In fact Hamlet will run upstairs if we go into the bathroom, to make us turn on the bathtub faucet. Then he'll leap in and drink from it.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Quote:
I'm curious if anyone feeds their cats Taste of the Wild pet food?

We've never tried Taste of the Wild (I hadn't heard of it), but I did visit their website and (based on the ingredients) it looks like it would be a good choice.

We feed a mixture of dry Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken and Blue Buffalo Spa Select for their main food. And for a treat several times a week we feed canned - either Natural Balance or Spa Select.

One of our cats (Sophie - the orange and white Maine Coon Mix in my avatar) refuses to eat wet food of any kind. The first time we tried to give her some, she tried to cover it up!! Since then she turns her nose and walks away from it. She will only eat dry.

For more about my thoughts on cat food, please refer to my Choosing a Cat Food article.

Melissa Knoblett-Aman
Catholicism Editor | Cats Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Quote:
Yes our cats love their fountains too! In fact Hamlet will run upstairs if we go into the bathroom, to make us turn on the bathtub faucet. Then he'll leap in and drink from it.

Our cats love to get in the bathtub or the bathroom sink and drink! I do want to get them one of those fountains - I'm just trying to figure out where to put it. We're in a townhouse with limited space, but once I figure out the perfect place they will be getting their very own fountain. smile

Melissa Knoblett-Aman
Catholicism Editor | Cats Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Our cat is over 17 years old now. She always ate dry food until last year - hairball formula ever since it came out. Now she gets a can of Fancy Feast in the morning and a can at night.(Only chicken and liver!) She eats a little dry food now and then.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I've never heard or seen a catit fountain before so I just looked it up and it seems great! I think my kitty would love it. She's always trying to drink out of the bathroom sink when the water is on. Do they have them at Pet Smart?

Thanks for all the food suggestions. I will have to do some more research and then try something out. Possibly a mixture. But how exactly do you realize what is the best food for your cat?

Gecko
Gecko
I bought mine off of Amazon, no wait, it was on Amazon but there was a coupon for it on PetSmart.com so I bought it from there.
I think the way to figure out the best food is to read the ingredients. In all foods, for pets and humans, the ingredient that there's the most of is the first one to be listed. So if it says "Corn, chicken, ect" that means corn is the main ingredient, which really isn't good. There should also be a list of %, like amount protein. I decided to look it up, and found this interesting article:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

L
Shark
Shark
L
I feed my cats Gerber stage 2 meats (yes baby food), especially the turkey and lamb altho ham is their favorite. I use one jar for four cats--each gets a good spoonful then I swish some water in the empty jar and give them "gravy" on their kibble--which is exclusively GoodLife Formula since the big contamination scare last year. They eat the whole line of GoodLife formula--the treats too and so does the dog (kibble and 'cookies'). I also give them tuna and other canned fish or shellfish about once a week. And sometimes when I am feeling very ambitious I will grind up whole chicken thighs or breasts and feed them all a spoonfull or two as a treat. Chicken livers a couple times a month. They like their meat raw and cooked--I offer it raw and if it does not work I give it a quick stir in the pan with some olive oil. Incidentally I have found that I can get my dog to eat anything with olive oil and/or parmesan cheese on it! The cats like the cheese too.

(I mention te dog because she is an Akita and in Japan their main diet is rice and fish and for the first few years we fed her canned cat food to get the fish and nutrients--but I don't buy canned cat or dog food anymore after the tainted stuff last year and I read that they use euthanized sick animals and road kill in it too.)

Last edited by RavynG; 05/16/08 07:54 PM.

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.