Print Thread
#344540 09/28/07 06:35 AM
Vannie Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I received the following e-mail from a reader through the Comment Submission via Bio Page on September 12 concerning one of my On The Job articles "Move Up From Administrative Entry Level" and the issue of opening office mail. You can find the article here

I just wanted to note that your comment in the article "On The Job - Move Up From Administrative Entry Level" the suggestion to "read all the mail you open" is not only ethically questionable, it is as far as I know against the law. Anyhow, seems like its a great way to get fired rather than move up.

*** USER CHOSE NOT TO PROVIDE EMAIL ADDRESS ***

I did respond by reply but apparently it was lost somewhere in cyberspace. Since I was unable to respond directly, I am posting it in the forum.

Hi,

Opening and reading your bosses mail is usually expected as her assistant and right-hand person. It is a part of an admin's job, unless she had been directed not to open the mail, then she does not do it. People are seldom fired for doing their job well. They are most often fired for not being thorough or not paying attention to details. If a boss calls on the telephone and asks what kind of mail she has received, the next question will probably be what did this or that person want--you cannot tell her if you have not read the letter; she may not have time to wait while you run to her office to pull the info and read the letter to her.

Also, a good admin knows not to open mail that has 'personal' written across it.

This is not illegal and not a matter of ethics. It is simply being a top-notch administrative assistant. When I worked my manager expected me to not only read his mail but respond to parties and keep mail that I could handle myself. Some bosses may say. "give me my mail", or "just slit the envelope", then that of course is what the admin does.

This may be a good forum subject.

Thanks,

I think, generally once you reach administrative secretary level, opening the mail means to actually open the mail, not slit the envelope and pass it on. It means that someone higher up trusts you and believes that you are skilled enough to handle the chore of looking at the mail and knowing what's should be delivered ASAP or can wait to be delivered according to your routine. I would love to hear what reader admin's do with their bosses mail.

Last edited by Vannie; 09/28/07 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
You are right Vannie. I open all of my bosses mail. If I think it may be personal and leave it for him - he says "You could have opened it". Most bosses do not want the hassle of opening their own mail.

Vannie Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Yes Sue,

I have found that as well. Actually this can become a burden, amusing or somewhere in between. After placing mail in the in box, without a stickum :(, I have been buzzed and asked, "Do *we* know this Mr. or Mrs. Brown?"

Vannie

Gecko
Gecko
My boss actually laughs because I know more about him than his own wife! But that is job security.

I open the mail for my whole department, that is part of my job. If it is junk mail I am supposed to pitch it. They don't have time to deal with it. I also am supposed to give the mail to the person who will handle it not necessarily who it is addressed to. I was told of this the first day I started my job. I have never gotten in trouble for opening mail not addressed to me!!!

Vannie Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Colland,

That makes sense. Mail is often addressed to the wrong person, passing it on to that [wrong] person can creat a real delay in turning the wheels. It is no wonder a special day was created for sec's and admin's.

Moderated by  Vannie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.