logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
We all have those memorable moments in a game that stick with us afterward. Even if we can't remember the name of the arch-villain out to take over the kingdom, we probably remember getting jailed for insulting the King's cat.

One of my favorite moments was in a Call of Cthulhu game I was running, where one of the characters was a dance student who'd gone insane and somehow ended up in control of a powerful artifact (and through it, several guardian creatures and a group of cultists).

She decided that, obviously, she was meant to become the Queen of the United States. For the rest of the game (and several days afterward), the music to Abba's "Dancing Queen" was running through everyone's heads.

What's one of your favorite role playing moments?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
I have to say that they are too many so here are a few.
L5r is a game that resembles the social structure of fudal japan and china so....

1. The samurai/magistrate cannot touch dead flesh so he has a "slave"-eta (unclean) to touch the dead people and do the "forensics" part of the job. As a testament of my sense of irony i named him Corpse. The poor fellow ( an npc actually) finds himself on the wrong place at the wrong time and gets killed. The other players started joking about the dead "corpse". *corpse is dead* *no a corpse is dead. how can a corpse die ?* They were tormenting the player for weeks with that.

2.A shugenja aka mage/priest is in a place that casting doesn't fanction properly and while he is a capable fighter ( he could feed dust many fighters of the same lvl ) he elects to "fry" to goblins who attack him. He misses the spell's roll and falls on his knees nauseated and helpless. To save the pc i told the players that the goblins thought that he was bow to them and began to roll on the floor laughing.At that point the pc vomited. The player was named the "goblin vomiter".

3.The players are captured by the meanest, scariest and most powerful human villains in the game at the time. They are beaten to a bloody pulp ( john mc clain from die hard had only scratches compared to them ) and are finally brought before their captors master, the dreaded Buggy man of l5r.Now the players are all aware of how this guy is and what he is capable of and their characters are even more aware of what they are about to become so they decide to start an intellectual confrontation about samurai ethics in the off chance that they might live through the whole ordeal. At that point it was way late ( 3 am ) and i had grown a bit tired when suddenly the characters begin a verbal assault which i believe that is intended for me, surprised as i was i fell of the stool i was sitting on and the players around went from shivering terror to belly-holding laughter...

4.In the game there is an npc who is a clusso ( from pink panther)joxer ( from xena ) hubrid. I gave him as a help and guide to the players. As the story progresses they get attacked in an inn and long stories sort the guy actually gets the whole building crushing down. The attackers are killed, the characters are all badly wounded and he doesn't get a scratch. After that the players started joking about "unleashing the guy on the evil god-the poor god wouldn't stand a chance" and " watch it or the guy will fall on your head from a clear sky".

5.Super cool samurai with statistics to same many a high level fighter participates on a seige by monsters.He attacks an ogre and kills it with one stroke, then he attacks and kills two trolls and a demon. No damage on him. The player starts bragging about the chop machine he has created and is attacked by two goblins which he misses and gets killed by the first with a single stroke...

6. The player with the worst roll ( he always roll 1-3 in a 10dice,where you keep and re-roll 10s) is asked to roll for damage on a fellow player ( it was an act of mercy really) he roll 13 and knocks the other guy off the edge of a waterfall...

Well these are the ones that come in mind at this moment but i will discuss it with my players. They tend to remember how they get killed and worse better than i do.

Fool to the Queen of stories * Student of FuFu * Evil l5r GM
Male*Cute*Young Looking*Little Philosopher

"For the Queen of stories"

Amoeba
Amoeba
Oooops sorry about the spelling in many a word there. I will try to be more careful in the future.

On with the moments...

The pcs are in the shadowlands, a living place full of monsters and demons created by the evil god of the game. They are on a scouting mission trying to save a boy from the bad guy. The place has a sinister intellect of its own so they start to have hallucinations about the place -green hills instead of marshes and bogs, groves in place of sculls and flowers where there are only the hair of half buried zombies... The best part was that they Never saw the same thing as a group and were quite unsettled. After an incident where they actually sat around a fire and ate with a quartet of undead whom they "saw" as fellow scouts, the players lost all appetite, and i got "stuck" with all the food we had ordered. After i ate everything ( we were 4 ) they started calling me tsuburu which is the name for a demon with a huge appetite in l5r...

The pcs are trying to get admitted into another clan's castle. After failing many social rolls one of them shows the officer a medallion they had found on a crime scene..The officer rolls and with 2d10 ( rerolling 10s ) gets 74 and they and up in the dungeon for bringing a cursed artifact in the castle...

After being beaten by the bad guy on two alterations the pcs finally "corner" him in his lair only this time they have a few aces up their sleeve.
1. They have the element of surprise
2. They outnumber him ( 4 pcs 1 is a shugenja=caster )( 4 npcs 1 is a shugenja )
3. Most importantly they are about to carry off a huge marble chalice which the villain needs.
The villain comes into the scene just as they are pushing it off its place near a 10 floor stair. Furious he threatens them to leave the chalice in its position or else... The players comply but the thing is already pushed and once they stopped keeping it in balance it falls..on the 10 floor stair...breaking...leaving them trapped -the thing was huge and now they can't make a run down the stair if they want... They end up in a gloves off fight with the guy whom they witnessed massacre a dozen guards, survived an explosion that leveled a castle and has trashed them twice already. They never gave a thought of ambushing him nor did they bargain with him so in an 8 vs 1 fight they get their butts kicked. Not wanting to kill them off ( i was trying to make them understand that this situation required more brains and less violence ) the villain grabs one of the casters by the throat and demands the fight to stop. At this point most of them are no longer capable to actually defend themselves. The "leader" of the party, the guy who 9 out of 10 gets them into trouble- yes he is the "i roll 1-3 at best, get us thrown into dungeons etch", insults the villains by calling him a coward and so on. The poor pc that was used as a hostage gets his throat cut open and after another pc manages to do some massive damage ( the bad guy actually went crushing through a thick stone wall ) the fight ends... The players are dumbfounded ; that was their first true casualty, and they never believed that they could kill off the villain. It is time to return home but the the pc/player that got his fellow killed is wounded badly..The other pc/player that "saved the day" turns to me and without thinking how he can judge the situation -he had no relative skills- he ask me-the gm- if the guy is going to make it, no rolls on estimations, and through the only npc ( a scorpion which was played by a guy who couldn't make it that day )which Hates the wounded guy still on his feet I answer "no". Before anyone has a chance to react in this, "the hero of the day" pc cuts his fellow samurai's head to "preserve" his honor...

And now for maybe the best of all..

In l5r there is a campaign setting named "city of lies". Apart of the many plots and stories to be played there there is an adventure called "Night of a Thousand Screams" co-written by the one and only Ree Soesbee. After putting some elements to the adventure to make it stick in my campaign, the players start a chase in a huge city with the clock running against them. The "black sheep" player, a very good guy actually, is given a samurai from the dragon,a strange clan full of monastic orders, who is mute, in order to minimize the "threat" he posed. After the first encounter that practically bonds the pcs together the crab pc, a bulling samurai, thinks he has taken an oath of silence and tries to force him to speak every chance he gets which of course led to many a laugh since the guy started to make noises like Kenie from south park.
After we were in about the middle of the adventure and the players are starting to get a bit frustrated, they had a very bizarre encounter with an oni ( a demon )the dragon samurai almost gets killed by a mahobujin ( very very broken fighter ) i make the ultimate twist : I have them play the part of the true villains in the story. So they go on a restricted rampage in order to bring together the "components" they require to open a hellish portal in the middle of the city!!! Turns out they were better in being bad, no mess ups, everything goes as planned and now comes the good part. They lair is hidden next to the building their previous characters had their showdown with the demon they killed ( the players as villains went through the story from the beginning so some things were re-happening from the evil perspective this time ). The lair is exposed as the demon, crushes on the lair's wall and the debris falls on one of the villains burring him ; when he freed himself he had a quick fight with the mute samurai whom he almost kills. Now after a random pick the player with the dragon samurai was playing That mahobujin.. the guy had the ability to sense blood through solid objects and realized that somebody what battling with the demon at that point i ask him where he is standing and he calmly answers "next to the wall the fighting is taking place" at that he goes " oh [censored] the oni is about to drop on my head" and of course that was what happened, he got buried by the debris and when he got free he was attached by his previous character whom he attacks and does the exact same damage....

A believe i have given enough moments; i hope they were as entertaining for you as mush as it was for us. I hope other people will share their moments as well.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: njtriant

5.Super cool samurai with statistics to same many a high level fighter participates on a seige by monsters.He attacks an ogre and kills it with one stroke, then he attacks and kills two trolls and a demon. No damage on him. The player starts bragging about the chop machine he has created and is attacked by two goblins which he misses and gets killed by the first with a single stroke...

Oh, that's classic!

Amoeba
Amoeba
Yes but what about this one :

The players are trying to figure out what happened in the villains lair and how a previous character got killed. I am talking about the the messy alteration from the previous reply. They "corner" the Scorpion -because it is always the scorpions fault when somebody gets it ( not to mention the fact that he really did cause the pc's death, right on their faces )- and try to use the non existent evidence they think they have against him, to make him confess the "crime". After realizing there are no real evidence against him the player whom his previous character got killed exclaims in front of a large crowed :

Scorpion ( very calmly ): And how do you know that it was i who spoke at that moment

Player ( practically shouting from frustration ) : Because i was there with jim and nick and the other guys you @#@$@....

You can imagine the laughter after this one. We were having tears out of laughter, falling on the floor on all fours.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
You know your players are getting into the game when they forget their character wasn't there!

Amoeba
Amoeba
True but it was still hilarious. Not to mention the fact that the guy still believes he could have gone all the way to avenge his previous character. Fortunately he got wiped off the map with the rest of the party and the castle they were defending. You are correct : i am a shadowlands player :):):):)
The worst part, for them, is that the scorpion had left before the seige had begun, thus he is still out there...
Oh by the way the player wanted me to correct something, his exact words ( yes they still remember them as if they were spoken 1' ago) were :
Villain (holding the unconscious character with a knife on the throat " Stand down, don't throw your friend's life away "

The other player responds " What..A disciple of the Kami (gods).. hiding behind a simple mortal...and you were supposed to be some kind of a legend..."

Villain "You are correct" he executes the other guy and then beats them almost to death...

As you can see i am not a sadist, they are asking for it...*rolls 2d10 dice rerolling 10s gets a 58* Yep you believe me hahaha.

Gecko
Gecko
Recently, I had the privilege of playing with some folks relatively new to D&D. They already had a half-elven rogue (my favoured race/class), so I picked up and played a gnomish Bard named Simile Shortpipes.

The first time Simile met the party, the DM had to call the game on account of not being able to breath through his laughter...and they told me I was not allowed to drink Red Bull anymore (even though I had -just- opened it when I started in with Simile). Simile also fell instantly in love with the only female character--the Paladin named Faith. She spent the rest of the game trying to figure out how she could kill the Bard without changing her alignment.

The second greatest moment was with that same character. As Simile was a bard and I play bards like rogues (because I prefer 2.0 rules), he had no way of really attacking anything. And, of course, he had the highest initiative, so he began sining...for the Monk named Bao. The song went on for several rounds and was something like this:

"BAAAAAAA-O! Me say Ba-a-a-o.
De fight is on and we wan' go home!
BAO! Me say Bay, me say Bay, me say Ba-a-a-a-o.
Get de fight done so we can go home!"

I think they told me I wasn't allowed to play gnomes anymore...

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: Christa - This Date

"BAAAAAAA-O! Me say Ba-a-a-o.
De fight is on and we wan' go home!
BAO! Me say Bay, me say Bay, me say Ba-a-a-a-o.
Get de fight done so we can go home!"

Oh, that's great!

Bards do tend to have targets painted on them...they're great at annoying the other characters. ;-)

Gecko
Gecko
Oh, I forgot one. It wasn't face-to-face, but it was a table-top type game. It was over IRC, but we worked it like a table top.

I played a rogue (go figure) named Damaia. She was a Leathercrafter and Locksmith. I think her shop name was "Locks of Leather" or something silly like that. Anyway...

The party ended up at the Temple of our Paladin's deity. Damaia "followed Loki" as much as any rogue really...follows...a deity. So, within the temple, the half-elven rogue spots the jeweled doorknob on the Temple. NO ONE PAID ATTENTION TO HER...except the GM. She walked over to the door and leaned against it, fiddling with the knob behind her back. I got a message from the GM asking for a dex check, so I rolled and passed it. He laughed. When the party went to exit, Damaia opened the door for them and no one was the wiser that the door knob was missing....until we were out hunting things and the Paladin's "Divine Protection" spell didn't work. He couldn't figure out why and Damaia passed every bluff check. The next day when the GM updated our sheets, Damaia had a rather powerful artifact in her possession... <.<

It was fun and just goes to show that you really can get away with stealing stuff from a temple! :-D

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Leif - Role Playing Games 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.