Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#366623 01/15/08 12:37 PM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A little background....We are the new parents of a beautiful long haired black kitty. She followed my daughter home from the store one night and she just would not go away. It got cold and I couldn't stand to hear her crying outside. So I brought her in, gave her a bath (which she liked for some odd reason). Anyways, she is a very affectionate cat. Always sitting on someone, always wanted to rub foreheads with you, etc. Well you would expect to be hearing a normal loud kitty purr. But she doesn't make any noise. I have put my hand to her neck. I can feel a vibration but no noise. She meows and talks like any normal kitty but no purrs. Is this normal?

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Jeanette you may be able to find out why your kitty doesn't purr at www.catster.com

Rosie L
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
My cat is like that too. We've had her for six years, and she's a very friendly and affectionate wee thing. Like your cat she meows and rubs against people, but her purr is barely anything beyond just a vibration!

So I think it is quite normal behaviour. If you're worried you could ask your vet.

My maternal clock must be digital - because there's certainly no ticking!
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Thanks to both of you!

Parakeet
Parakeet
Is the cat very young? I've had a quiet purrer before, and I understand it's normal for some cats to just have a quiet purr. But I've also noticed with many of the cats that have been in my life that the purr seems much quieter when the animal is young. My current cat was a pathetic stray kitten of about six months with a barely audible purr when I met her. Now, at age two, she sounds like a lawn mower.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
It is hard to say how old she is. She isn't a kitten, she may be around 2ish. I will have to post a picture of here from the digital camera. She is getting more and more playful too. For the first week we had her she just wanted to be held and petted, wasn't into playing much. The past 2 days she has been running crazy during dinner time and while we sit in the living room playing games with the kids or watching a movie. It is really funny to see her do it. We also bought her some toys that she is taking to as well. Last night she laid on my pillow near my head and I could barely hear her purr. She is a sweetie though.

Parakeet
Parakeet
More noise may come with more confidence. It sounds like she's just starting to get comfortable in her new home. Even if she stays quiet, though, it sounds like you got a winner. Best of luck to you and your new pet!

PS: Even with an adult cat, the vet can give you an estimate on age. The guesses tend to be more accurate with kittens, but you can still get a ballpark figure.
Tip: If the vet think she's anywhere between one and four, they'll say "two or two and a half" almost every time. This error can be a bit of an issue later on, when the cat reaches her senior years (age seven or so -signs of aging vary) and starts slowing down a bit. You and the vet think she's only five or six and might think she's sick and run a lot of unnecessary tests only to find out she's just getting old. No fun for cat, owner, or wallet!

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I've always had purring cats, but I can imagine it's like with humans, every cat is unique and different! Maybe your cat learned early on to be super silent, and that skill helped her to survive smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
My 2 are both silent purrers. I have to put a finger on their throats to feel the vibration, but it is there! They are the first cats I've ever had that didn't sound like motorcycles; they are siblings, maybe it is genetic. They are 7 years old and I've had them since 6 weeks of age, so they are certainly comfortable and secure.

Gecko
Gecko
Are they longhairs? I've heard that persians have a very soft mew and purr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.