Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#366837 01/15/08 11:37 PM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
How do you prefer to get your reading material?

How do you prefer your books?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/15/08 11:37 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I have to say, for books I'd like to keep and read again, I prefer paper so I can underline, etc. For fiction, I buy many used books to save money and then sell them back, so again, paper is the only way to go.

I've just started doing audio books, which I download to my computer and make CD's so they are less expensive. I do like them but I don't think they'll replace paper for me.

I just don't care for ebooks! I sit at the computer enough and don't like reading books there-esp fiction. I've ordered a few ebooks but ended up printing them out, which ends up being costly.

Koala
Koala
I want a ebook reader but fot the prise they want I could get a brand new desk top....or too! there is always the hand held PDA and blackberrys and MP3 whatevers but the screen is so small that you cant read a whole word in one line and sometimes not even in one screen! I hate that!!! if I read an e book at the computer then I have to stop and read emails as they come in and IM and everything else and be sides that I feel traped by my computer!!!

but reading a book you have to get paper back because one the hard backs are $$$ and they dont travel in a purse very well because of the size. and I read romance so having a romance noval in site in a massage therapy clinic just sends the wrong impression!!! I like paper back but I forget to hide them when people walk-in so...

Audio books are great because I can clean house or do crafts or whatever and still read the book and plus they are so great because you can close your eyes and imagine the sceen in your mind instead of focusing on the words.....

I have to go with audio books!!!

D
D
Has any one used Amazon's new format: Kindle?

Tiger
Tiger
I have not but I would love the opportunity to do so. Unfortunately, they won't let me test drive one for free. Silly I know. smile They are a bit prices otherwise I would consider it.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I had a look too but rejected it on the grounds of cost. I am prepared to have another look at Create Space, but Amazon Shorts was closed last time I looked.

I am sticking with Lulu for the moment. I have actually downloaded lovely prose and poetry from there for free as e-books, as well as using it for my own book.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I like all formats - hardcover, paperback, computer and audio. We've read a TON of books on audio. I definitely like that I can listen to the story and do other things at the same time.

That being said an advantage for me of "real" books is that I can read them then pass them along to someone else. They're far easier to share. So that way I can read them then give them to a friend who I know will also like the book and get more bang for my buck. We have like 10 full 5-shelf shelves of books in the house already so I try not to add any more to the collection if I can help it.

I only have a few romance novels I've kept. Most I pass along. Back when I took the train in to work I'd read a romance novel a day so if I kept them all we wouldn't be able to walk smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
The reason I read is to find a quiet cozy corner where I can just get out of reality and enter into a romantic story. Listening to a story just wouldn't be the same for me. I have some Joseph Campbell tapes with Arthurian legends and I like listening to his voice, but I get bored after awhile and turn it off. I prefer real books.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
I can't listen to audio books, my mind wanders way too much!!! After I pop one in I realize 1/2 hour later that I don't remmber a single thing that was said the whole time. My husband on the other hand listens to alot of audio books on his commute for work, he drives alot for work, and he totally doesn't understand why I can't focus because he loves them. I need a real book in my hand to be able to keep focused on what I am reading.

Marci Ann Peterson
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
There's just something cozy about curling up with a real book. Easier on the eyes, you can have whatever voices in your head (as opposed to audio), it's tactile... feels like a friend to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.