Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gecko
Gecko
O_o The doorknob was an artifact? That is awesome. >;D

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I love playing light fingered rogues, too. I don't know that any of my characters have ever stolen a doorknob before, though...that's a great story!

Amoeba
Amoeba
Of course and GMs reward smart playing on behalf of their players. I am in quite a problem because of that myself. Here is why and please if anyone has a good idea please, please share it.

In a high pace, "see the pcs run,run pcs, run" story the party splits up to chase a band of thugs in a huge maze of a city. Their objective is to catch as many thugs as possible in order to extract information. The problem is that although they are pawns of the lowest level and the info the give ( and know ) is intended to push the story forward the leader knows more. Actually he knows enough to pose a threat in the continuity of the story. The pcs can practically skip the Whole story and change the story fundamentally. So guess what they manage to catch him alive. Smart thinking and good, really good rolls did it and now i can't just "suicide" him nor "execute" him before he talks. So with one pc a living lie detector, another an aspiring torturer and the whole party turning into guard dogs to guarantee his safety....you see my problem. Please if anyone has an idea please share because i am supposed to meet the players next weekend and i need to prepare.

Fool to the Queen of stories * Student of FuFu * Evil l5r GM
Male*Cute*Young Looking*Little Philosopher

"For the Queen of stories"

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Does the leader of the thugs *need* that much information? It's fairly typical for villains to not let their subordinates know enough to be a danger, especially low level ones. It'd be more in character (for most villains) to have the leader of the thugs know just enough to lead the party into the next trap, rather than enough to be a true danger.

Of course, you do want to reward the party for having done something that wasn't supposed to be possible. So perhaps the next stage of the plot *was* a trap, and the leader knows just enough to warn the party of the trap, allowing them to go into it better prepared.

Gecko
Gecko
Oh, here's where I'm totally cruel... >.>

The party knows the Thuggy guys has info, right? The Thuggy guy knows the info he was given to be true....

But who's to say the Thuggy guy has THAT HIGH of a roll to detect bluffs?? I'd totally set it up as a trap--that the Thuggy guy was supposed to be caught, tortured, and inquisitioned by the party. The information he gives them, to his knowledge and theirs, is absolutely 100% correct...except it leads them right into a trap. That way, the next encounter level can be more difficult without really altering the story... much...

*ahem* This is why Kryssie isn't allowed to DM much...

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: Kryssie - This Date
*ahem* This is why Kryssie isn't allowed to DM much...

Actually, that sounds more like a reason to force you to DM...the adventures would always be fun!

Amoeba
Amoeba
Ok you are right but ( my bad here ) the big problem is that the villains - who are actually dupes for the real threat, a kick butt shadowlands lost/oni/undead army waiting to be summoned by the dupes and some of their masterminding kin- Do Not Know that there is a gathering of potential heroes ( aka the party ) doing the impossible seem like a child's play in order to track some porcelain masks ( the only lead they truly got ). What is worst the next 3 parts of the adventure ( who the players are threated to skip ) is intended to give them Real information on what is really going on, plus allies And the Only means available to stop the total annihilation of the empire's second largest city ( not to mention that if this goes through then the villain of the story will be armed to the teeth for the next part of the campaign...

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Don't know my best, But I'll tell you my worst, I had got to level 5, a level noone else had done, and someone pulled the plug out I was mad LOL!

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Well you know you are allowed to decapitate the culprit and stick his head on a pike outside your door....sorry that is the sadistic, evil GM speaking.

Gecko
Gecko
My husband reminded me of this quote from one of our small sessions. I was duoing a half-orc fighter and an elven cleric while a friend was soloing a human fighter. The human failed every spot/listen check...to the point that we ended up fighting a horde of kobold, then he fell into a trap that my two boys had to try to get him out of (which isn't easy with a half-orc with a 3 int...but very entertaining). Upon pulling us into the trap (because the dice were cruel that day), he says, "First kobolds, now traps! Are dungeons just not safe anymore!?!"

We had to take five minutes to settle down from laughter.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Leif - Role Playing Games 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.