logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I have had a lot of cats that do not purr loudly, some we could barely hear. Why do they purr anyway? Is that a sign of contentment as my mother used to say?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Some pet behavior people think that a purr signals "I am no threat to you", which is a calming message. A happy, contented cat is no threat to anybody. I purr to my cats and find that it relaxes them if they are nervous.

Gecko
Gecko
Sometimes they do it to calm themselves down when hurt badly too. My friend's cat got it's tail yanked off and a broken leg when it was hiding in someone's car engine in the winter. (another reason why I think cats should be indoor-only if at all possible). When they found her, bleeding and hiding under the porch, she was purring loudly enough to vibrate the air, but she was obviously NOT happy.

G
G
Our cat Dixie has a very light purr and it takes a lot of loving to get her purr motor going. Her companion Noodle will wake you up with her purring. Dixie was found in a trailer lot as a kitten and could fit into the palm of your hand. She was skin and bones. She's always been very reserved, hiding when anyone she doesn't know enters the house. Noodle is her complete opposite, always under your feet running around the house. Maybe it has something to do with their individual personalities, I suppose.

Gecko
Gecko
I met a cat on Friday who purred so loudly you could FEEL it. His name is yowler, he's quite vocal. He's named for obvious reasons, since he yowled when he saw me, yelling "PET ME!!" Meanwhile, my cat has a very soft purr, most of the time I can't even hear it, just feel it.

Koala
Koala
I had a wild cat named Wild one when i was small she was gray and I ran around tring to get her to play with me but...she was not a playing cat. she hated people. she got in the house and had kittens behind the sofa and we didnt know it! she came up the vent had her kittens and she would sneek in and out from the vent. then kitten never made a sound! one day I was laying on the floor asleep and woke up in the middle of small baby kittens I thought God had droped them from heaven just for me to play with and love! Wild one wasnt happy but I sure was! there was ten on them! laugh I was 3 anyways none of then purred at all. I have noticed that if the moma cat has been taught not to do something the kitten wont either same with dogs. my dog wont bark in the house at all unless something is wrong.

if the moma cat was hurt and could not purr or was afaid to purr she could have taught your cat not to purr either. I tried in vain to get those kitten to purr just because I liked the fact they sounded like me with my asthma at night but they did it just cause it was a normal cat thing....

T
T
I have a siamese mix long hair that I got when he was 6 weeks old. He is now 2 yrs old. I have never heard him purr or meow. Every blue moon he will let out a lil squeak when he is waiting to be fed. I've alway thought this weird. Have always had cats that purred an meowed. Could this be genetic or just his personality. He's a very loving , lap sitting cat.

Because of my hearing disability i couldn't hear my cat Asia purr
But i could feel him purring
Now with my hearing aids i can
My sisters cat Mikey doesn't purr but is very loving and playful
Then while cuddling Mikey I had my hand on his chest couldn't hear him purring but I could feel it smile

Rosie L
C
C
I had a cat like that when I was a kid. Also a longhair. I couldn't figure out why people always made a purring noise when they talked about cats because mine never made that noise (I was really young). Anyhow, I never gave it much thought until I saw your post. I wonder why - maybe your cat is just a soft purrer as others seem to think? Who cares - you found the cat and love it, that is GREAT!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.