Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Originally Posted By: hollyelise

define 1. a) to determine or set down the boundaries of b) to trace the precise outlines of; describe exactly [define your duties] 3. a) to give the distinguishing characteristics of* b) to constitute the distinction of; differentiate*...

*like familial relation, ethnicity, job, and mood, perhaps?

I think i have understood what Alexandra is trying to point out... a recognition of an essence that transcends everyday labels. But I was trying to respond to her question as she stated it from a practical position. She asked, "What is there left of you that defines 'Who' you are?"

And herein lies the 'problem'.
We still attempt to define this in a way that is too literal, too basic. I really wasn't actually seeking a dialogue from "a practical position" at all. That's my point. Keeping the discussion at a practical, "mundane" logical level, fails to address the central, vital question.

Quote:
There is always a relation of some type to define you... if not a role, nationality, job, etc., then something else... so what is that "else" going to be?

MY POINT EXACTLY!! What indeed...??!

Quote:
Think for a minute... how is saying, "you are you and I am me" so different from saying, "You are Alexandra and Skeeter and I am holly?" They are all reference points distinguishing between us, just as other reference points might be used.

Now we're getting somewhere...!!

Quote:
Descarte is famous for declaring, "I think, therefore, I am." This statement seemed clever when he published his little book, but from both a logical and philosophical standpoint -- it didn't take long for philosophers, mathmaticians, and logicians to prove his statement to be a fallacy of cyclical argument... get this... because it has no external reference.

BINGO.
Quote:
if you follow it through, the mystical sense of self does not have to say it is not a role (mother, employee, caucasean, etc.), any more than it needs to say that it is,... yes?

Yes, agreed. But what is it, then?

Quote:
In contrast, however, the practical definition of self needs distinctions and reference points to know who we are.....Our individual experiences and the things we identify with, develops our understanding of BEING an individual, so why reject all that now?

I am not seeking an abandonment or rejection. Not at all. What I am seeking is this "What are we" cental focus, that enables all these things to actually rise and become even more significant and wonderful. I am in fact seeking to accentuate them, not dismiss them.
Quite the opposite....

Quote:
How could we have any understanding of ourselves without those things?

It is only by understanding ourselves that these things come more into play than ever.... we need these things for the outer Picture. They're the paint, if you like.
I am suggesting you seek the canvas.....

Oh Holly, this is such a great discussion, thank you so much!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
...Are some people concerned/unnerved/disturbed by this process of thinking....?

If so, I am truly sorry that it would have that effect on you... Believe me when I say I had the opposite intention.

And if so....
Would you be able to say why....?

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
I am somewhat peplexed at the lack of response here. I was under the impression that many were enjoying the interaction, and that we had a good and lively discussion taking place, here, in the self development forum.
So, in an effort to stimulate further dialogue, I thought I would continue the conversation....
I hope others will come back and continue.... it's been a heck of an education for me!!

I have been reading Pema Chodron's "The Places that Scare You"
and I read a line the other day, that resonated with me.

"Suffering is the product of an Aggressive mind."

I realised she didn't mean 'aggressive' as in violent, necessarily. She meant 'aggressive' as in 'negatively energetic' (like for example, an aggressive form of cancer....).

Then, on another page, I read that,
"Suffering and Aggression are the fruits of Ignorance.
What is it that we 'Ignore'?
we Ignore our kinship with others."

Something was beginning to sink in...

I then took it a step futher, and turned it around....

I calculated that -

'Joy is the product of a Passive Mind.

Joy and Peace are the fruits of awakening.
What is it that we awaken to?
We awaken to our inter-connectedness.'

It is the definition of our Selves, devoid of any and every label: - woman, man, monk, doctor, sheepish, handicapped, british, tired, electrician, tanned, blue-eyed - that is the essence that is interconnected with everyone else. Stripped of any form of Ego, we all share one Boundless Mind.

so when I connect with someone, I might be looking at a 43-year old, brown-haired, green-eyed, taxi driver, wearing a deep blue suit, and father of three kids, owner of a three-bedroom house and four dogs...
but all I am actually connecting with, is in essence something that is already 'me'.
I am connecting with something that has no form, shape or definition, but is the very vital matter that binds us all inexorably together.
The Formless, Voidness that is filled to the brim with all that is.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I am an idiot who is still letting my parents destroying my soul.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.