Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#363458 01/03/08 09:08 PM
A
ArleneM Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I know this is going to sound silly to some folks, but this question nags me constantly....

I'm 6 classes from my Bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems. I work as an Admin Assistant. I have a 4.0 GPA. Even so...AM I READY FOR AN INFO TECH JOB? CAN I CUT IT IN THE WORK FORCE? DID I WASTE ALL THAT MONEY ON MY EDUCATION, ONLY TO BE A SECRETARY FOREVER?

Whew! I finally said it "out loud"! Thanx for listening...

Arlene

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Owl Offline
Amoeba
Amoeba
I'm sure you'll do a great job at a new career. You just have to have an eagerness to learn and do a good job and not set your expectations too high. It's never a bad thing to start at an entry level position and work your way up. When I first started with the company I work for, I started at the very bottom and have worked my way up since. I have found that colleagues and bosses admire me for that, and actually come to me for advice, even if they have more experience than me in the field.
Good luck with everything and congratulations on your upcoming graduation!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Greetings Arlene:

It's understandable that you're apprehensive about entering a new field. One huge advantage that you have is that you've already entered the World of Work. You've experienced being new on the job before and survived. Have faith that you can do it again.

Also I'd like to recommend this book: "New kid on the block : 10 steps to help you survive and thrive in the first 100 days of your new job" by Frances Kay.

Congratulations on your 4.0 GPA. I'm sure you'll be a huge success. Good luck!

Leah

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Shark
Shark
Hi Arlene,

Congratulations on being honest with YOURSELF!

Something must have inspired you towards taking your education in the first place. What was it?

I invite you to tap into that passion and purpose that caused you to take this path in the first place. You took your first step BECAUSE SOMEWHERE DEEP WITHIN YOU KNEW YOU COULD DO IT! You still CAN, you just had a moment when you forgot. smile

You go, Girl!

Tami is an Executive Leadership and Business Women's Coach. She invites women to use their genius in business in today's wild economy. http://www.UlimateBusinessCamp.com
L
L
Hello Arlene,

Congratulations on a job well done!

One thing to consider is how to translate your experience and education into bottom-value to your future employer.

When people hire you, they are hiring you as a problem-solver, crtical thinker, and a team player.

Thus, you've got to use your resume and coverletter to convey to your future employer that you have the problem solving ability to effectively help the company with computer-related issues.

One thing I'd recommend that you do is to look at your current position from a value-added perspective.

This means that you need to look at your role and ask yourself what bottom-line value do you bring to that role. I'm sure you're a swift problem solver, or you might be a fast learner, or the go-to computer resource person.

Whatever you do, don't undervalue yourself because of your title, sounds like you already bring a lot of value to the table.

Also, look around your current position to see if you can find computer-related projects that you can begin to influence or take on.

This gives you some exciting things to talk about when interviewing in for your next position.

And as a final note, many career changers often forget to look within their current company to see if there are other roles at their company that they can move into.

If you've established a solid reputation at your current job, then another posiiton within the company may provide you with just the opportunity you're looking for.

Best of luck to with your career change - your 4.0 says a lot about how hard you've worked to finish your degree.

Now...take a deep breath, and begin finding strategic ways to favorably position yourself into your new position that will allow you to fully utilize your newfound degree, and all of your other gifts and talents.

Here's to succesfully positioning yourself into a career that fits your skill-set, your passion and your life!

Latarsha Lytle, MBA
Pursue A Career That Makes Your Heart Go Wild: www.career-change-positioning.com
Start A Biz That Impacts The World: www.small-business-ideas-branded-by-passion.com
A
ArleneM Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Wow, what great responses!

Thank you so much, everyone, for your good advice. I have been applying to jobs within my company...fortunately, I am already working within the IT department, so I am slowly building a good reputation there. But the advice from Latarsha about adding "soft skills" to my resume is something I hadn't thought of. I have a few right off the bat...I do informal troubleshooting with and for my co-workers on the computers, am a subject matter expert on some of our programs and platforms, and am pretty good at problem solving and critical thinking.

And the encouragement from the rest of you...wonderful!

Thanx again for boosting me, just as I asked. Maybe we can continue this thread by helping each other to market ourselves in a better light...at work, and personally?

I'm thrilled with the way you all jumped in to encourage me....what wonderful folks you are!

Bigg Huggz,
Arlene

A
ArleneM Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ah, Tami, you got it exactly...I forgot for a moment that I can do this...how else does a C and D high school student end up on the President's List? <Sorry, tootin' my own horn!>

What originally inspired me was getting out of a relationship that told me "you were meant to be secondary". I am NOT secondary!

H
Koala
Koala
H
You should toot your own horn! You've accomplished quite a bit!

I think you're just getting the "graduation jitters." Living next to a college campus, i see it all the time. You're going to do great, Arlene. You've already proven you know your stuff and you know how to work hard. Congratulations!

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.