logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Agreed with frieda -- a lot of teen parents who still live with their parents are living as though they just have infant siblings for all the work they do for their own offspring!

Simone de Beauvoir dismissed motherhood as, "...'a strange mixture of narcissism, altruism, idle daydreaming, sincerity, bad faith, devotion and cynicism."

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Yeah, I don't know about the page in the yearbook. I'm sure it is really hard work to have a baby while still in high school, but for the majority, it's a choice. I know that some women are raped, and any woman that has a baby that was conceived during a rape deserves respect. I think I've heard that rapes don't usually result in conception. I don't know why that is, but thank God for that that women don't have to be punished twice, by the rape and forced to have a child they weren't planning, and conceived from a violent act.

It's hard to know what's going on with people without knowing them. I went through Catholic School, and I know that back in the day the women weren't even allowed to walk down the aisle to get their diploma. Meanwhile, the baby's father was likely also graduating. But they can usually slip below the radar screen.

The teen mothers in my community that I've been acquainted with over the years truly aren't doing it all. Their mothers are! College is a mixed bag, and I'm sure many married couples have gotten pregnant while in college. Some might be married, others not, but they are usually a little more mature by college.

I guess as far as the page in the yearbook goes, if they were going to showcase the mothers, they should also know other kids that have faced adversity and still gotten the grades. There are kids whose parents divorce, putting them through stress while they are in school, parents that drink or beat their kids, or families that struggle financially and otherwise. I would argue that there are very few ideal situations for kids growing up, and they all have stuff to deal with. I would be really annoyed if I came from a low income family and busted my hump to get the grades so I could find my way out, and opened to a page on pregnant mothers.

Save your own life - don't have kids!
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: happytobechildfree
I guess as far as the page in the yearbook goes, if they were going to showcase the mothers, they should also know other kids that have faced adversity and still gotten the grades.

... I would be really annoyed if I came from a low income family and busted my hump to get the grades so I could find my way out, and opened to a page on pregnant mothers.

YES, absolutely.

Simone de Beauvoir dismissed motherhood as, "...'a strange mixture of narcissism, altruism, idle daydreaming, sincerity, bad faith, devotion and cynicism."

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Originally Posted By: Pinecone
Originally Posted By: happytobechildfree
I guess as far as the page in the yearbook goes, if they were going to showcase the mothers, they should also know other kids that have faced adversity and still gotten the grades.

... I would be really annoyed if I came from a low income family and busted my hump to get the grades so I could find my way out, and opened to a page on pregnant mothers.

YES, absolutely.

That is such a good point Happy. That bothers me about it too. It's glorifying teen pregnancy above other kinds of adversity people face. And i really think other teens might be influenced by it. I agree that pregnant teens shouldn't be discriminated against, but they also shouldn't be put up on pedestals for everyone to admire. Look at adult women, and how many of them have babies because they are influenced by peers. And teens are even more influenced by peer pressure than adults. What teen mothers are doing is difficult, yes, but is it ultimately for the best? I certainly wouldn't want to be a baby in that situation.

Last edited by frieda7; 01/10/08 07:27 PM.
L
Koala
Koala
L
Right - it might not make girls say "ooh, I want a baby!" but it might make them think that having a baby isn't as tough as it really is.

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Angela P
My rant isn't as much about the subject itself as it is about the poor journalism in covering the story.

Where's the other side?

All the article reports is some counselor's reason for reviewing the current policy, but the reporter didn't bother to get the other point of view on why students shouldn't be allowed to take off for four weeks.

That would be because the journalism is from "FAUX news". :P

Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: frieda7
Look at adult women, and how many of them have babies because they are influenced by peers. And teens are even more influenced by peer pressure than adults.

This is so true. Wow. I know women in their 30s that are all wound up about babies, and I know at least part of that is peer pressure. I remember how tough it was as a teenager. It was so hard not to do what everyone else was doing. I think it has gotten so much worse - I graduated high school in 1989.

Save your own life - don't have kids!
M
Shark
Shark
M
In Australia they brought in the "baby bonus" to try and encourage people to procreate. Thus, you now get $5000 for each baby. Unsurprisingly, this has encouraged many teenagers and drug-addicts to get pregnant. One buys a big screen tv, the other buys illicit drugs. Apparently many young girls, according to the "Current Affairs" programmes, are being encouraged by their boyfriends to have a child so that they can get access to the money.

I realise that the month off school may not be as big a motivator as money, but still it does send a message that you get something if you do this.

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
If I had gotten pregnant as a teen my parents would have FREAKED. I would have been seriously in big big big trouble. It would have been considered one of the worst things I could do in their eyes, and I can see why!! So, for a school to turn around make a yearbook page to show admiration and respect for teen mothers...just seems very strange to me. I can see it's hard, but in a perfect world it's something you're not really supposed to do (in modern times). That's how I was raised at least. It was a values thing...sex before marriage was something most of us did of course, but it wasn't exactly encouraged or applauded by our parents and the school.

Koala
Koala
I agree. my mom would have sent me off somewhere and made me give the baby up for adoption. no if no and no buts about it. I would not have gotten a baby shower or goverment help, or special treatment. and I damn sure would not have gotten the oh poor hard working girl you have to leave your childhood behind and your so young but I am Proud of you treatment either. It would have been more like GROW UP you got yourself into this mess you figure it out! your on your own treatment!

I would not be an adult I would have become less then human and i would not have been given any respect at all!
I think if more "young mommies" had to overcome all of that guilt and shame and fear...there would be less young mommies! As long as people honor and show them more respect then the non baby machines they "young mommies" will get younger and younger!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.