Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#361822 12/26/07 01:09 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
This thread is for discussion of the current articles posted that deal with writing for children and teenagers.

These are the newest articles:

Writing for Children

and

Read to Write

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Chel,

Congrats on being the new Children's Writing editor. I loved this article you wrote. I especially appreciated your statement that you don't have to have children to write for children. I admit to having this weird guilt trip because I love kid's books and don't have children.

Thank you for the Writing for Children article.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 12/30/07 07:11 PM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Trish!!! No need for guilt! That's all it takes to appreciate writing or reading for children, the fact that you once were a child. What better experience, aye? Thank you so much for posting!

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

T
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
T
LIbrarians no longer ask me how old my children are when I check out children's books. They don't even watch me suspiciously as I wander through the children's room. If you want a real story, you have to read a children's book smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
At my library, it's a branch and a small one, they will see me when I come in and tell me about the new kid's books.

Terrie, you wrote that "if you want a real story, you have to read a children's book". Excellent point, and that is the secret to why it's hard to write for children. Children are not fooled. They know a good story line, they are busy little beings and a luke warm idea, or poorly written plot, will not keep their interest. Editors know this, and they only want the best for this market when they sift through piles of manuscripts.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

E
Koala
Koala
E
LOL. I usually hover just outside the children's section of the library until there are no kids or parents in the particular aisle I want to browse (especially the teen section!) I always wonder if I look like I belong there (ie, that I actually have a child I'm getting the books for) - but worse that people will presume I'm still a teenager when they see me in the teen section!

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
One time at the library, they had a sign that said kids only. It was like on a Saturday and I stopped in my tracks. Then the librarian saw me and said, "It's okay, Michelle, we know about you." The reason it was closed because some of the adults were hogging the kid's computers, but they knew I was book looking.

Barnes & Noble have little chairs and stuff in their kid's section. They need bigger seats. Tee hee!

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I think after the success of books like Harry Potter and Eragon, which were originally written for tweens and teens, there should be no problem with anyone of any age reading what they like. I'm speaking for myself here because my adult daughter and I were both sporting violently pink hair at our local Borders store party on 7/20/07 when the last Harry Potter book was released. What fun!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Helen! Hi! Um . . . you don't by any chance have pictures of that event now, do you?

Tee Hee!

I agree, I went to a Harry Potter party, it was also my birthday, and there were more adults than kids.

Last edited by Michelle Anne Cope; 01/10/08 05:25 PM.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
As a matter of fact I do! But not saved in my computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  AM Farbizio, Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.