Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Shark
Shark
T
The Old Testament verses you refer to were for a specific set of people for a specific set of time. Jesus's reference to turning the other cheek was not meant for violent assault but for offense. He said "If someone smites you on your RIGHT cheek" He specified the "right" cheek because that means being slapped ( an insult) with the persons "left" hand. That was the hand that in Jesus' day ( and still to this day) in middle eastern culture was considered " unclean" because it was used for toilet duties. What Jesus was referring to was offense, not a potentally lethal assault. Read the passage in context and you will see.
As for the OLD Testament, judgement was different. Jesus changed the nature of judgement and sacrifice in the New Covenant.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Hmmmm...In other words, he moved the Goalposts....?

That's not what I asked.
if you say that you accept every word of the Bible, you are accepting contradictions. Both from 'God', alledgedly.
You can't really do that, unless you give up all sense of human choice and reason, and follow God - Automaton-style..... can you?

So now you're citing Arab Cultures....something practised earnestly by Moslems and other religions, but not by Christians, because if we are perfect in the eyes of God and created in His image, then no part of us is 'unclean'....
That's the first time this has been propounded in this way to me, by a Christian....
very odd, I haven't come across this explanation in all my Catholic days..... ! laugh

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
But there are. I have just pointed them out to you....

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
The ones you agreed I was referring to in your post above.....

Now I'm getting one of my headaches....!! laugh

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
As an aside, it's six pm here now, and I have to go home. I'll pick this one up and run with it tomorrow, ok? smile

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
....You know what?
It's not important.
The contradictions probably relate more to the different interpretations and understandings of those responsible for the original writings, and I don't think I have the right to take what might be interpreted as the 'moral High-Ground' and ask you to explain, justify or clarify text and scripture from the most important book and teaching in your life. It's rude, unfair and argumentative, and I would prefer to desist from metaphorically placing your back against the wall.
I don't have any doubt that you would be able to answer any of my points.
I just don't see why you should have to.

smile

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
I'm sure you don't, and as I said, I have no doubt you would rise up to it admirably.
But the whole point of giving - and accepting - a challenge, is that it would advance the situation, resolve matters and provide a new platform from which to proceed.
To my mind, my presenting you with this challenge would be merely argumentative, and would ultimately resolve little, because it may just be a question of semantics, authorship, perspective and perception.

The origin of this thread was to obtain the perspective and impression of Christians, were they to be faced by a Buddhist seeking to gently steer them away from christianity and towards Buddhism.
The entire exercise would be academic, because as I have explained, whilst Christians are encouraged to proselytise, Buddhists are actively discouraged from doing so....
I was merely, I suppose, attempting to illustrate the 'How would you feel' factor...

It's possible though, as you and I seem to be in this particular "room" on our own, that the main topic has run its course....
Tea?

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Hang on....

I have just realised where I am.
I made a promise some time ago to the Bible Basics Moderator that I would treat her forum with respect. She requested (even in her forum rules) that she did not wish to see arguments or contradictions to the bible arising here, and requested that the book not be challenged or disputed. All well and good....

I promised her I would evaluate my words and discussions accordingly.

What I am about to say is purely as a comment, it's not intended to be defamatory or argumentative.

A great many threads in the Christianity and Bible Basics forum are either started by, or greatly contributed to, by Non-Christians (be they atheist, agnostic or of another following) and this is how discussion is generated. That's essentially what a forum is for. Discussion, verbal engagement and debate. Without these kinds of exchanges, discussion and debate on a forum whittles away to nothing. if everyone on a forum is of a like mind, then the conversation very quickly degenerates and dwindles away to nothing....

I would be very happy to transfer this discussion to the Buddhist forum, but there's a catch: Those wishing to continue this discussion would have to be as informed and cognisant of Buddhist doctrine as I am of the Christian Bible.

And that's where the problem arises.

The Buddhist forum is not much frequented by such discussions, because it seems to me (and this is only my perception - inform me if you think I am mistaken) many Christians either shy away from learning more about Buddhism, or prefer not to, intent instead, on just receiving all of their religious and sopiritual knowledge and instruction, from one source.

But the Buddhist doctrine thrives on discussion and debate. Buddhism refuses to rely on faith or belief, prefering instead to recommend that all teachings - notwithstanding their origin or provenance - be subjected to the highest and most detailed scrutiny possible. so in Buddhism, it's not a case of have faith - it's a question of find indisputable proof and enhance your knowledge....

I would be pleased to open up a new thread in Buddhism to continue the above discussion, but only as long as those engaging in this discussion would be able to appraise the discussion as much from a Buddhist perspective as from a Christian one.

The same rules of respect, rudeness, courtesy, insults, poor language, politeness, etc..apply on the Buddhist forum, as much as they do on any other forum. It's a question of acceptable constructive and positive social interaction - it has nothing to do with a person's belief or faith, religion or dogma.....

But I will create a 'transfer' thread to the |Buddhist forum now, and hopefully continue this discussion there.

I am also posting this message on other Bible basics/Christian threads, where my participation has entailed lively discussion on theological matters.....

Koala
Koala
I agree! I am Christian and I dont agree with shoving my beliefs down someones throat either. I went to church today and the Paster (yes I liked the man and no Im not Catholic...but...)I made the comment that kids today dont care where there parents draw the line or where the school draws the line or even the church.... They want to know where God Draws the line. He went on to say if we make Christianity all about the church manual and money and pitty things that dont really matter the church will die because this generation doesnt care about the pity things of this world. they dont want to hear there going to hell and your going to hell if you dont do this or that little pity thing they want to know Who is God? and What can we do to Stop the violent and the horror that goes on daily in this life. They want to Know that God is bigger then the pity junk in every church manual. they want to know that in the end it never really mattered to God what church membership we held or what name Good Christian tittle we made for ourselves...what mattered the most to God is that we stopped the fighting over stupid things and believed God is REAL and that we did our best to love others as God loved us and that we stop using God to fight and harm others.

It was the best sermon I have ever heard and the church is looking for a new preacher and this paster is filling in until then. he is really ordained and everything but he teaches at the prison.

I am impressed!!! I had given up on finding a good church and you know this was at the church that i grow up in and loved as a child. It is very small and very few are there now but I felt more peace there today then I have felt in a very long time! Maybe I wont give up on the church after all!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by freebubbles3; 12/25/07 04:45 AM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.