#361436 12/23/07 12:00 AM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I just had some blood work done because I am hypothyroid. The results showed my thyroid is doing fine now but my white blood cell count is below average for the second time in six weeks. The question is why is it low? I don't take prescription drugs or have any autoimmune disorders. I do have multiple food intolerances, so numerous they are difficult to manage at times. I'm wondering if this is weakening my immune system. Anyone else have any experience like this?

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
White blood cells (leukocytes) are the body's defense against infective organisms and foreign substances. To defend the body adequately. a sufficient number of white blood must stimulate the right responses, get to where they are needed,and then kill and digest the harmful organisms and substances.
Too few or too many white blood cells indicates a disorder. Leukopenia a decrease in the number of white cells to fewer than 4,000 per microliter, make a person more susceptible to infections
CAUSES; Neutropenia has a number of causes. The number of neutrophils can decrease because bone marrow production isn't adequate or because large numbers of white blood cells are destroyed in the circulation.Aplastic anemia causes neutropenia as well as deficiencies in other types of blood cells, Certain rare hereditary diseases such as infantile genetic agranulocytosis and familial neutropenia, also cause decreases in the number of white blood cells.
TREATMENT; The treatment of neutropenia depends on its cause and severity. drugs that may cause neutropenia are discontinued whenever possible. some times the bone marrow recovers by its self with out treatment. People who have mild neutropenia generally have no symptoms and may not need treatment People who have sevsre neutropenia can rapidly succumb to infection because their bodies lack the means to fight the invading organisms. When these people develop infections they are generally hospitalized and immedialely given strong antibiotics, even before the cause and exact location of the infection are identified.
Sheree i hope this info has helped, your doctor knows what treatment is best for you, (good luck)
MERCK MANUAL

Rosie L

Moderated by  Sheree-Allergies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.