Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#361293 12/22/07 10:06 AM
J
jam4 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello, I'm new to this forum but am excited to be part of it. I've been making soft baby dolls for some time now. I've made one for each of my three great grandaughters and a ton of them for our Santa Cop to give to needy children in our county. I would like to show them to you.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
jam4 #361493 12/23/07 03:11 PM
Hi Jam,

Your pictures of the dolls did not show up. I am looking for a pattern for 15 inch baby dolls, are yours that size?

Glenys

icemaiden317.tripod.com
J
jam4 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That's because, even with the instructions from Helen, I couldn't figure out how to upload them. :o( No mine are about 8". but very cute.

jam4 #361978 12/27/07 11:56 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Glenys,
There are patterns for 12 inch, 18 inch and 21 inch cloth dolls on the doll making site in the "cloth and fabric dolls" subject. Since they would need to be printed out it might be possible to adjust the size that you print them. It is possible to make them look more like a baby by the way you design the face, keeping the features very simple. And of course, how you dress it.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks Helen. I've had a look, but being a novice doll maker they don't look plump, and I don't know how to change the pattern to make them look more baby like.

Glenys

icemaiden317.tripod.com
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
There are books available to teach you how to needle sculpt cloth dolls. The best one I know of is "Cloth Dolls" by Brenda Brightmore. This book includes patterns for the dolls and instructions on how to make them. I think you will find what you're looking for in this book. And the instructions are such that even a novice will be able to follow along.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
There is a new article on the doll making site: 9 Inch Destiny Cloth Doll
This may answer your question about cloth dolls that are more rounded and baby like. That was my intention when I designed this doll. You can adjust the size when you print it out if you need it larger than 9 inches.
Enjoy!

Gecko
Gecko
Helen-
Do you happen to know of a cute bear pattern, one that is not to big or too small. I have 2 fur coats that my grandmother left to me because when I was little I loved the feel of those coats.

The coats wouldn't fit me, and the linings are kind of frayed, but I think it would be nice to make teddy bears for my female relatives. This way everyone can have a piece of the coats.

Also have you ever worked with real fur? Are their any tricks? The last thing I want to do is ruin the coats and have no bears made from them.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
If you're talking about real fur it is still on its skin.

Have you ever stitched anything in leather?

You'll need to just bring seams together like on mocassins, for example.

This is not a job for the home sewing machine. A craft shop may have hand needles for sewing leather. If it is a mink coat it may be that many pelts have been sewn together - you'll see this by moving aside the lining.

I did a bit of leather work as a Girl Scout but that was a looooooooooooooong time ago.

Susan

Gecko
Gecko
Thanks Susan - I think I may be in over my head on this one, it was a nice thought though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Helen Doll Making Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.