Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Alexandra #359860 12/14/07 06:57 PM
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Oh but those chocolate covered Cherrys were the best and no marks at all!!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
freespirit #359872 12/14/07 07:30 PM
E
Koala
Koala
E
Well, I'll throw my hat in as the token agnostic then laugh

We simply celebrate the ending of one year and the beginning of another. We raise a glass of wine to Bacchus on the day. We put a pagan tree up - it happens to have a dragon sitting on the top, just because we both like dragons. "Giftmas" - I like that one, I'll have to remember that.

Since my pagan side is simply my interaction with the Earth and elementals, I figure it's not necessary to explain it to anyone. No one seems threatened by the fact that I grow and harvest some of my own food, despite it being a pagan practice. Funny that. Tarot cards - now that's a different story. Someone very open-minded (I thought) saw my cards by pure accident and shut down on me.

What does irritate me, being in the southern hemisphere, is that the sheep (I mean public) here follow along blindly on the northern hemisphere's seasons. For a while I tried hard to celebrate spring in spring while everyone else was celebrating the autumn harvest in spring time. What a headache. And we pretend it is snowing while we swelter in full summer. But now I've realised I have to embrace the paradox. If you don't pay attention to how silly we are, you really will try to sow seeds in autumn. Every season here is the silly season - it reminds me to laugh at myself too.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #359878 12/14/07 08:04 PM
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
HA HA oh that would be a hoot! It would be hard to try to have frosty the sand man in the front yard and make sand angels all the while having sand ball fights in hats gloves and heavy coats in the middle of summer!!! oh and Singing Im dreaming of a Green Giftmas with every giftmas card i write....... lmao!!

oh I can see it now Elle out in shorts and t-shirt, flip flops and suntan lotion planting her herbs and vegies in the snow!! and then sheading off those layers so she can work on her tan!
oh and singing "Summer breeze makes me feel like ice blowing cross my bod.............."

freespirit #359972 12/15/07 12:33 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
It sounds like you all have grown into your own traditions and enjoy them. It means so much more when they are personal. Jase, I still love Christmas trees. It's actually my mom who isn't so keen on them now that she knows more of the Pagan origin. I honestly think it's a tradition that we all can enjoy. I still make ornaments for people that I know will enjoy them.

Free, I'm so glad that you and your family are now spending the holidays in a happier way rather than with family that make you feel bad.

Elle, I've always wondered how "the other half" in your hemisphere celebrate. It's funny because the Pagan (actually earth friendly, not just Pagan) thing to do is to honor the cycles of the place you are at. I'm glad you can laugh at the silliness. As I age, I find it easier to do that too. How much more serious I was as a twenty-something....lol.

Thanks to Alexandra for bringing the sherry and chocolates. Hmmmm, I was wondering if I should start a food thread, but you guys seem to have already got that ball rolling. What next, figgy pudding?

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Trish-D #360024 12/15/07 09:15 PM
Elephant
Elephant
nah, some hamentaschen, white chocolate covered pretzels, blossom cookies, chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies that have been iced, cinnamon toast cookies, and some truffles ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #360038 12/15/07 10:30 PM
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
What's this: hamentaschen?

#360046 12/15/07 11:27 PM
Elephant
Elephant
its a wonderful jewish cookie that is awesome!!!!

Hamantaschen

4 large eggs or 1 cup pareve egg substitute

1 1/3 cups sugar

3/4 cup canola oil

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

Fillings
In a large bowl or with a heavy duty mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar until well combined. Beat in the oil and vanilla extract. Beat in the baking powder and salt. Add flour gradually, blending well after each addition. Continue mixing the dough well until it is completely combined. It will be stiff but somewhat sticky. Turn out half the dough onto each fo two sheets of plastic wrap. Press each piece of dough into a thick dish and wrap it well. Refrigerate for several hour or overnight until it is cold and firm. To use the dough immediately, turn it out onto a floured board and knead it gently, adding flour as needed. until smooth and not sticky.

To bake the hamantaschen, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with baking parchment or coat them with nonstick cooking spray. Completely coat the dough on all sides with flour. Roll it out on a well-floured flat surface until it is slightly less than 1/4 inch thick. Use additional flour if necessary to keep the dough from sticking. Use a three-inch cutter to cut out as many circles as possible in the dough. Put a generous teaspoon of filling in its center. Fold up the edges of the circle in thirds around the filling to form a pocket with a triangular base. Pink the edges together, leaving a small opening in the center of the hamantaschen where the filling can be seen. Repeat until all the circles are filled. Repeat the process with the second half of the dough. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they are firm and very lightly browned. Cool on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 30 large hamantaschen.

Filling

8 ounces soft dried apricots or prunes

3/4 to 1 cup orange juice or as needed

1/4 cup milk-flavored honey

2 tablespoons sugar or to taste

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or almonds or soft light or dark raisins

Ground cinnamon or ginger may be added, if desired.
Chop the fruit very fine. Press into measuring cup. It should measure about 11/2 cups. Put the fruit, 3/4 cup of the juice, honey, sugar and lemon juice into a small saucepan and mix well. Place over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Then continue heating, while stirring constantly, for an additional 7 to 10 minutes or until the fruit is very soft and all the juice has been cooked into the fruit. The filling should have the consistency of very thick preserves. Add additional juice while cooking, if needed.

Cool filling to lukewarm. If nuts, cinnamon, ginger and/or raisins are desired, stir them in to suit your taste. The fruit filling can be made up to a week ahead and refrigerated, tightly covered, until needed. Or it may be frozen for several months.

Makes 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups filling.

you can also do the following fillings:

strawberry preserves
orange marmelade
raspberry preserves
apricot preserves with chopped dried apricots or not
carmel square with a hershees kiss
or I love doing a "trail mix" nut and raisin mix with some maple syrup and a touch of cornstarch to thicken it

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #360059 12/16/07 01:35 AM
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
yummmmmmmmmmy

freespirit #360060 12/16/07 01:37 AM
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
Sounds good to me! smile

#360062 12/16/07 01:40 AM
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
when do we get some? better make some more Jase! lots of people are going to want to try it!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.