Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
KEVIN HILLER, Tom Pilitowski, Beaulah Shyni, Adi_s, Brandi Ford - Costuming
58322 Registered Users
Forum Stats
58,322 Registered Members
417 Forums
119,087 Topics
845,307 Posts

Most users ever online: 615 @ 04/22/15 10:11 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Nancy Roussy 244
Mona - Astronomy 125
Celestine - Baptist Editor 60
Angel S. Class 54
Susan Helene Kramer 30
Angie 25
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading 20
Angela - Drama Movies 18
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 17
Korie - California/Yoga/Knitting Editor 14
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#357567 - 12/01/07 11:26 PM What Should Our Teens be Reading?
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: England
Are there limits for teen readers? Some writers/books such as Michel Faber or "The Girl With The Pearl Earring" go down a storm with young adult readers, but should teens be reading them?

Ideas/Caveats/Recommendations ?

#357578 - 12/02/07 06:56 AM Re: What Should Our Teens be Reading? [Re: BellaShorts]
pondlady Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: New Orleans, LA, US
Why would anyone limit or censor what anyone else reads? Why would teens not read anything they wish to read. Seems to be that a teen reading is wonder enough. Most teens would rather be doing most anything else. I guess, tho, one way to get a teen to read is to tell him the book is off limits.

[url=pondlady.com]pondlady.com[/url]
[url=gardenersgumbo.com]gardenersgumbo.com[/url]
[url=squidoo.com/pondlady]squidoo.com/pondlady[/url]

#357623 - 12/02/07 10:40 AM Re: What Should Our Teens be Reading? [Re: pondlady]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Thanks Pondlady Jan! for telling it like it is! That's one way of looking at it.

What does anyone else think?

I'll get our new teen Ed over here to give an opinion. I know my teens are very definite in their views! They read a variety with some manga and anime too.

#357746 - 12/03/07 09:15 AM Re: What Should Our Teens be Reading? [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

I had a chat with my daughter about this - she just tried to read Emma Tennants - The Harp Lesson but didnt think much of it and took it back. She says she enjoyed Anne Franks Diary when she was younger.

Edited by inspirangel one (12/03/07 09:16 AM)

#358488 - 12/07/07 05:14 AM Re: What Should Our Teens be Reading? [Re: BellaShorts]
Melissa Editor Offline
Shark

Hmmmm... very interesting question. I remember as a teen that I devoured anything (but I was and am a geek -- shh, don't tell). I have to say that I learned a lot about things no one else would tell me through reading. Some of it I wished that I hadn't read (Jurassic Park comes to mind) so young.

But as for what kids should be reading, I don't think that we can stop them. They are going to pick up books off the shelf and read and I especially agree with Jan that if we tell them no they are definitely going to check it out (Lady Chatterly's Lover, anyone?).

On the other hand, I think that if we have good rapport with a teen, we can suggest things to read and perhaps get them to expand beyond Harry Potter. There is a whole world of options and topics out there that, I think, are being overlooked. And if they think we are cool enough, they might crack open the cover. Some books that come to mind that I will sometimes suggest to especially teenager girls (and may seem a bit racy but I think pertinent to teens today --perhaps 15 and up -- today) are:

Walk Two Moons
Wicked
The Handmaiden's Tale
The Red Tent
Anything by Ray Bradbury
The Other Boylen Sister
The Princess Bride

What do others think?

#358563 - 12/07/07 01:34 PM Re: What Should Our Teens be Reading? [Re: Melissa Editor]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Wow Melissa - thats a good list and yes, there are some racy ones on there. Maybe not as racy as Crimson Petal though. I liked what you said about finding things out - that chimed with me - I did also regret however opening Lady Chatterleys Lover and Anne frank - I couldnt finish either of them - shame to think of teens getting shocked or upset by something they read, but its a learning curve I guess. I find Michel Faber too stark for young minds but my daughter takes it all in her stride!

What about sons LOL, or did we give up on them already? Maybe they are a Lost Cause !! Any thoughts folks?

#358568 - 12/07/07 01:58 PM Re: What Should Our Teens be Reading? [Re: BellaShorts]
Carol- Today In History Offline
Shark

Loc: NJ, USA
I loved the list for girls, thanks. I will pass on some of them to my daughter. Right now she is reading stories about dysfunctional families. (Argggghhh-- we're not that dysfunctional! I hope...) I have The Red Tent and never thought about pulling it out for her and I think that she would love it.

As for my boys, I did give up on them early, but they excelled in math and science and put time into their studies, so it never seemed so bad. Their spare time was spent with sports, they didn't get into any trouble... Yes, I gave up on them early, but I still think they turned out ok. My oldest gets through science journals (college biology major), my middle will scan numbers (college business major), but neither will read for enjoyment. I'm not sure pushing them to read more would have helped them much.

#358577 - 12/07/07 02:16 PM Re: What Should Our Teens be Reading? [Re: Carol- Today In History]
Lynn_B Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas, US
I don't believe in censoring what they can/cannot read. I was never censored. There, were (and will be) many discussions regarding the content of books I brought home.

#358580 - 12/07/07 02:31 PM Books for Sons [Re: Lynn_B]
Melissa Editor Offline
Shark

Hmmm. Interesting question about boys. Usually, I find that while girls are willing to read widely, boys follow their passion. For instance, I have a young man I work with who absolutely adores insects. He reads everything he can get his hands on about them. But if you asked him if he likes to read, he would say no. I think he is still reading for pleasure, though. Usually, when I suggest reading to boys, I try and already know what they love first. Often it sends them to the nonfiction section, but what the heck, right? If they enjoy it, it is still the written word and they are still reading.

On the topic of censoring, I definitely agree with Lynn and say no. On the other hand, I strongly suggest good discussions afterwards. I also say the same thing about movies and television shows. While there are definitely things that I think young eyes shouldn't be watching, I think that they can handle more than we think as long as we are there to help interpret it for them. The same goes for books. Some of the deepest discussion that happen in our family are around books. For instance, I just recently read a book by Stephen King and so did my sister. Neither of us is really a King reader and so I found it absolutely shocking. But really abosrbing and so we had a great discussion about the process of writing and what makes a good read. (Of course, it helps that we are both writers ourselves).

Anyway....great discussion!

Edited by inspirangel one (02/02/08 11:50 PM)

#358584 - 12/07/07 02:53 PM Books For Sons [Re: Melissa Editor]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

You two are brave souls !! If I saw a Stephen King on a dark night I would Run the other way! although I had no idea he was That scary - thanks for the tip-off !! My daughter thinks Im lame too!
I wouldnt knowingly offer horror or supernatural to my teens, I think it might "mess with their heads" but I respect the right of others not to censor - my daughter and I chat loads about fiction - she reads what she likes and usually has plenty to say!

What do you think of Catcher in the Rye?

Edited by inspirangel one (02/02/08 11:52 PM)

#358586 - 12/07/07 02:58 PM Re: Books For Sons [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

PS List for boys

Terry Pratchett
Phillip Pullman (aka Golden Compass/Northern Lights
Alex Rider stories
Manga/Anime/Graphic Novels/Comics !!
Doctor Who

Edited by inspirangel one (02/02/08 11:54 PM)

#358589 - 12/07/07 03:07 PM Re: Books For Sons [Re: BellaShorts]
Melissa Editor Offline
Shark

Yeah, I wouldn't pick up a King book to read again. It really was quite shocking and more-so how much it really sucked me in. I HAD to know what happened next. What an amazing writer.

As for Catcher in the Rye, I have heard it is awesome and that many people remember it as being one of the most influential of their teenage years. All I can remember is that I couldn't get through it. It just didn't engross me. So I have no idea what it is about, actually. I was reading Brian Jacques' "Redwall" series (which I would absolutely recommend to any teen), The Invisible Man and The Time Machine at the time and Catcher just didn't measure up to rodent medieval warfare and mad scientists. LOL. I told you I am a geek.

M

Edited by inspirangel one (02/02/08 11:55 PM)

#358594 - 12/07/07 04:04 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: Melissa Editor]
Chelle - Marriage Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: Lake Lanier, Georgia
It's so funny that y'all mention Stephen King...

I have always loved to read, my mom used to have to force me outside during the summer. But when I really started devouring books, was after I read "Firestarter" by King in the 6th grade.

But I've always been more drawn to horror, scifi, and fantasy. For Christmas every year, my favorite present would always be whatever set of books I got under the tree.

Anne MeCaffrey's Dragon rider series is a very good one for guys and girls.
The original "Frankenstein" and "Dracula"
"Childhood's End"
"Lord of the Rings" trilogy
"Gone With the Wind"

Really, I think any book that has been made into a movie is a good one to read. Because it demonstrates how much more powerful an individual's imagination is than the screen.

Edited by inspirangel one (02/02/08 11:57 PM)

#358633 - 12/07/07 11:34 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: Chelle - Marriage Editor]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

BellaHarmony - thanks for the Anne McCaffery ideas - I am writing all these down, my daughter is a voracious reader but cant be bothered to go to the library! so I go for her. At present she is romping through Crimson Petal (Faber) but will need something to move on to.
So you read any historical stuff?

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:00 AM)

#358635 - 12/07/07 11:40 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: Melissa Editor]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Melissa - you dont sound like a geek as,amazingly, your experience with Catcher is exactly the same as my daughter who no way is a geek! Only, she Has to read it because its on her syllabus! My son read the first 3 chapters (hes 13) and they Both Hated it!
As teens, their opinion was quite strong - they hated his 'inner voice', his criticisms of other students, his bad language, and the whole preppy theme. My daughter warmed to the guy towards the end .... I wont say why as maybe you will pick it up again?
I heard a rumour Salinger might write another. Strangely, my husband raved about this book when he read it as a student - very odd, maybe it has something to do with the English teachers?

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:02 AM)

#358969 - 12/10/07 01:04 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Great Stories for boys - PS The Alex Rider books are by Anthony Horowitz, a great childrens author who has 2 sons himself and they check his stories! They are a sort of junior James Bond. Very successful in our house - theres also a film, which helps.

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:04 AM)

#358973 - 12/10/07 01:21 PM Re: What Should Our Teens be Reading? [Re: Carol- Today In History]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Carol, what are these books about dysfunctional families? I am intrigued!

Does anyone know anything about Chris Ryan books? My sons friends read them - SAS, soldiering I think - arent they for adults, or am I getting him mixed up with Andy McNab?

#358981 - 12/10/07 01:50 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: BellaShorts]
elle Offline
Koala

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'd add Isaac Asimov for boys. He wrote a lot of short stories too, which are quick, easy reads.

Also, check out some of the great Aussie YA writers:
Tim Winton (Lockie Leonard)
John Marsden (Tomorrow when the war began)
Garth Nix (Abhorsen Trilogy)
Emily Rodda (Deltora Quest series, Rowan of Rinn)
Kate Forsyth (Starthorn Tree)
Isobelle Carmody (Obernewtyn Chronicles)
Garry Disher
Felice Arena and Garry Lyon (Specky Magee)

Edit: Duh! I forgot Anita Bell (whom our Embroidery Editor actually went to school with!) Teen/YA: Kirby's Crusaders series

and for older boys into hardcore science fiction:
Greg Egan

for younger boys/pre-teens:
Morris Gleitzman (Bumface)
Andy Griffiths (The day my bum went psycho)
Shaun Tan

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:06 AM)

#358985 - 12/10/07 02:20 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: BellaShorts]
Shaun Offline
Amoeba

Originally Posted By: inspirangel one
Does anyone know anything about Chris Ryan books? My sons friends read them - SAS, soldiering I think - arent they for adults, or am I getting him mixed up with Andy McNab?

I haven't read them, but both Ryan and McNab have a series of books aimed at the teen market.

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:07 AM)

#358992 - 12/10/07 02:46 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: elle]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Cool Recommendations Elle! Garth Nix - of course, why didnt I remember him? Did he do the Sir Thursday ones? My son loved those in Jubior school!
Also, those funny ones sound great!

Thanks!

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:09 AM)

#358996 - 12/10/07 02:54 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: Shaun]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Oh right Shaun, thanks, thats probably why I got them confused! At the moment we are reading Stormthief - slowly!!

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:11 AM)

#360636 - 12/18/07 07:29 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: BellaShorts]
Chelle - Marriage Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: Lake Lanier, Georgia
My oldest son recently had a book to read for school - "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

Whenever one of the kids gets a book to read for school that I haven't read yet, I always jump on it so I can discuss it with them. And occasionally I'll get a real winner - this was one of those.

I think kids that fall into the "gifted" category will especially like this book, as its protagonist is a genious child who is bred and raised to lead the world's armed forces.

But I was really impressed, and plan on reading the rest of the books in the series, too.

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:12 AM)

#360642 - 12/18/07 08:35 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: Chelle - Marriage Editor]
M.B. Offline
Parakeet

Speaking of Card, might I suggest his Alvin Maker series (starts with Seventh Son)? Historical fiction, billed as "America as it might have been." Folk magic, politics, adventure, family and friendship, and a strong moral theme all wrapped into an alternate version of the US in the mid 19th century. The fun bonus for me, reading it as an adult, was comparing the locations on Card's map of the US to the real one and meeting characters based on real historical figures. Any teen into fantasy, history, or even a general fiction lover could get into this series.

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:13 AM)

#360650 - 12/18/07 08:57 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: M.B.]
MB2345 Offline
Gecko

Wow, Ender's Game is such a classic, a really amazing book! And I personally loved the Alvin Maker series so I can second that recommendation. It was fascinating to run across real historical people done slightly differently in this universe (e.g., Andrew Jackson is evil in this world).

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:15 AM)

#371835 - 02/01/08 11:58 PM Re: Teen Book Recommendations [Re: MB2345]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Thanks myrabeth, bellaharmony, karm and all for the Orson Scott Card suggestions. What age range would you recommend? I might see if our local library has any for my teens.

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 12:16 AM)

#372017 - 02/02/08 11:45 PM Life Experience Books For Teens [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

Are all teens brats - like 'The Brat' in Anne Enright's Short Story? I don't think so, but there are many Behaviour Modification Programs which recommend different strategies to change the attitudes of those who are.

For instance, one theory suggests that teens 'act up' or 'down' according to our expectations of them - a sort of 'self-fulfilling prophecy.'

As someone famous once said "catch them being good and seize the moment to praise them." (I will look up!)

Either way, poor Clare in the story is made of stern stuff and determines to lift herself out of a bitterly miserable home situation in order to make something of herself and find first love.

These stories from The Portable Virgin certainly got my daughter's attention, but are they too cynical for younger teens? Or is it good for them to have a realistic and streetwise outlook as they approach our challenging adult world?

Did our own harrowing/sweet Valentine experiences help shape or discolor our later attitudes to trust? Valentine Reading opinions on:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Edited by inspirangel one (02/03/08 03:36 AM)

#379723 - 02/23/08 01:00 AM Re: Life Experience Books For Teens [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

We just discovered a great funny, fast-paced new book for sons who don't care to read!

It's from the Diamond Brothers Stories by Anthony Horowitz Three of Diamonds.

It's three short private eye mysteries in one. Even I laughed while I was reading them aloud to my son.

I reviewed here if you'd like more details.....

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Edited by BellaShorts (02/23/08 01:05 AM)

#379751 - 02/23/08 03:50 AM Re: Life Experience Books For Teens [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

PS He also wrote the brilliant 'Stormbreaker' and 'Alex Rider' series.

What makes Anthony Horowitz such a successful kids writer? Could it be the fact that he has teen sons of his own?

#379941 - 02/23/08 11:01 AM Re: Life Experience Books For Teens [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

For kids who need a little extra learning support, Stormbreaker is also available as a movie/dvd/ - AND - graphic novel!

#452554 - 09/15/08 09:29 AM Re: Books For Sons [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

J. K. Rowling 'The Tales Of Beedle The Bard'

This is released for purchase from early December in the UK, and doubtless will have lots of enthusiasts getting in line to get their copy - and some of them will be adults!

But is the writing standard high enough to challenge older readers?

Many kids adore Harry Potter, but mine never took to him, although they would happily watch the movies. Is there an age when teens get too old for J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter?

You can find out more about her latest offering here:

#458141 - 10/09/08 02:45 PM Re: Books For Sons [Re: BellaShorts]
BellaShorts Offline
Chipmunk

We just finished a great book for older sons/daughters called 'Slam' by Nick Hornby. Fast paced with very topical themes - should be a great discussion starter. Lots of angst, alternative cultures etc.

#916761 - 01/02/17 04:10 PM Re: Books For Sons [Re: BellaShorts]
Nancy Roussy Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Grand-M├ętis, Quebec, Canada
They should read whatever they want.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Rebecca - Short Stories 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
2017: Astronomy and Space on this day
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
09:45 PM
Astronomy / Space Advent
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
09:22 PM
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
by Nancy Roussy
Drama Movies
04:07 PM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Angie
Inspiration
11:36 AM
What will you do today?
by Angie
Inspiration
11:21 AM
Oprah Winfrey and Ava DuVernay Set for Honors
by Angela - Drama Movies
Drama Movies
10:15 AM
What are you looking forward to today?
by Nancy Roussy
Self Development
07:30 AM
What's your Typical Daily Menu?
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
07:17 AM
Did you dream last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
07:13 AM
Body Care Holiday Gift List 2017
by BB -Body Care
Body Care
06:37 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.