logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
Hi Laurie,
I'm new to this forum, but hope my experience speaks to you. I quit my teaching (high school English) position a few years ago to become a full-time writer. While I've been writing all sorts of short stories and poems my whole life, I didn't know much about the industry itself. What I did know was that once I turned to writing fulltime, there was no "Plan B" for me...I was going to be a successful author. My goal was a bit different than most on this board - I wanted to write books. I wrote two novels and during the writing process I was also researching everything I could about the business end of the industry. I also wrote for a newsletter and a regional magazine to build "clips" and a platform of sorts.

Fast forward two years after changing careers and I landed a literary agent in NYC and a book deal with McGraw Hill (all happened a year ago and the book is due out early next year). What I didn't expect was to sell a nonfiction book rather than my novels (although those will follow). What I learned was "Be the Writer" and you'll be amazed at how things fall into place.

If you're interested, I have a lot of resources for aspiring writers on my website http://wwwheatherhummel.net.

Coincidently, the book I wrote is about chasing your dreams no matter how old you are! I co-authored it with my mother, who is a 68 year old model.

Good luck!
Heather

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
L
Wow Heather,

That was such an encouraging post. I especially liked it when you said "Be the Writer."

In fact, an amazing paradigm shift occurs the moment you start with "I am a writer." vs. "I am going to be a writer."

* Saying "I am a writer." allows you to own who you are upfront, and gives you the full responsibility to live up to the terms of that statement.

* Saying, "I am going to be a writer." gives you an unlimited time frame to work around the goal...never allowing the goal to stand on it's own two feet.

Just a thought...

Be encouraged to do and to be THAT thing you were made to do and to be!

Latarsha Lytle, MBA
Pursue A Career That Makes Your Heart Go Wild: www.career-change-positioning.com
Start A Biz That Impacts The World: www.small-business-ideas-branded-by-passion.com
P
P
Hi Latarsha - you speak the same language as me!

I compare the philosophy to the majority of people on Match.com - they're always in the state of looking because that's the message they send to the Universe - that they're looking rather than having it already. Certainly there are those who meet someone and marry, but they are usually the ones who go into Match without expectations, like a friend of mine did.

Anyway - Be the Writer and the rest follows. That much I do know! smile

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Not at all! It is my only talent and I have let it go. I tried a few years ago to start writing again after years of not doing it and I could not even write one word. Sadly I have not tried again but since my life has been going worst with every passing days (i probably should say with every passing hour or minute or even second it is that bad) I highly doubt this is the time that I will be able to start again.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.