Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#355771 11/22/07 05:00 PM
Isa123 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
It looks a lot like having dandruff, but after visiting a dermatologist, I got the verdict... I got a yeast infection on my head.

The cure is rather drastic: putting oil on my head for 5 days and then a stinky lotion for the next 10 days... while having to do my daily jobs. I started applying it today, and apart from the mess this created, it makes it all itchy, greasy, makes terrible oil spots on my shirts and makes my hair fall out like no tomorrow.

I look like a kid that refused to wash his/her hair for weeks. I hate it already, but if I don't do it, the yeast infection will get worse and sufficate my hair follicles. My hair would fall out in big chuncks...

I wish I never had to go through this. It's not the first time I had misery, first a bad hairdresser that decimated my hair because she couldn't stand me (she pulled fine comb after fine comb out of my head like she enjoyed it), then I had to fight trichotillomania (which still is a thing to combat against), then damage and split ends and now this...

I'm thinking of getting a hair coloring brush and a clip so I could better divide the oil on my head and avoid greasing up all of my hair.

Grrrrrrrrr...
I'm off, getting the oil out of my neck and ears again. I hate this... why always this bad luck when it comes to my hair??? frown

Guess what? I give massages and reiki. More info here!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
YIKES, that sounds, what are the symptoms of having that??? I never heard of it before, i hope it clears up fast. poor you

Rosie L
sorry meant to say that sounds awful

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Thats a new one. I've never heard of it before.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
You know, sometimes going bald is not such a bad thing.

My hair started thinning and falling out after I had my gastric bypass. The my daughter came home from school with lice (50% of the school had it, it was a nightmare). And to make matters worse, her hair was so long at the time we couldn't get rid of it. She wound up on oral medication from a dermatologist.

Anyway, I treated my hair, too, more as a "just in case" thing - but the lice treatment made my already fragile hair fall out in clumps. I lloked like I had mange. I was so depressed about it, that I decided to just shave the whole mess off, and go get a wig.

I found a very nice wig that I liked, but I rarely wore it, because I fell in love with scarves and hats (still wear them today). So, it might be worth it to shave, and "start fresh". Of course that is a pretty dramatic decision. But if you are really frustrated it is an option.

Here's one of my bald pictures (along with my avatar on the side):

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
H
H
Wow, I have never heard of that before either, but I have heard that you can get a yeast infection anywhere on your body. What my doctor told me about yeast infections is that there is a lack of bacteria, that usually keeps the yeast in check, so when we are too hygienic, I guess it allows the yeast to get out of control. What if you use a squeeze bottle like a hairdresser would use when coloring you hair? That way you could get it right down to your scalp and like you said avoid making all of it greasy. Let us know how it all turns out!!

Julie Svendsen
Helping Moms Work From Home!
[url=www.HomeWithYourFamily.com]www.HomeWithYourFamily.com[/url]

Isa123 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
skyhaven: it looks like dandruff, but doesn't go away, even if you use special shampoo for it. It's not that itchy, but without proper care, it kills the skin and the hair shaft/root and then it falls out. Because it builds up fast, it spreads rapidly and can take a lot of hair with it. It destroys the skin and scratching or rubbing it makes your skin start bleeding.

@the question what it is... I heard it in Latin, but I don't remember what it is. Too much words and too complicated.
I'll let her do a check-up after the treatment and ask her to write it down for me if she can.

Isa123 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
@HomeAtLast: yep, it something like this. It just happened to grow on my head instead of anywhere else on my body.
Lucky me.

/sarcasm...

Isa123 Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hello everyone, it's been a while since the incident, and here is a serious update: the cure worked wonders, and now I'm very very very happy. I do need to keep using the special shampoo or it will come back, but apart from that, I don't have to change a thing.
A couple of notes:
- the infection was indeed yeast, it's something EVERYBODY has, but for most people, our own body can keep it under control. Apart from some people who can't, like me for instance.
- it's not contagious, you can't get it from sharing a comb or going to a specific hairdresser, it's just something everybody has and it's not transferable. Even if it would be, most of us wouldn't have trouble with it since your body can cope with it.
- for those who are interested: it's called "Pityriasis Amiantacea"
- I can do with my hair whatever I want, I just have to keep using the special shampoo or it WILL return
- I did look for a different hairdresser in the meantime and think I found one or two who would be fine.

That's it. Thanks for those who supported me and kept me in their thoughts. I'm glad it's over. laugh

N
N
Hey Isa,
I was sorry to hear what you've gone through. I would like to offer my advice too.

I am known among my friends and family as the hair doctor. My hair is over four feet long and it isn't easy to grow and keep hair like this, but I love it so I am always watching and listening for new hair advice myself. I'm in my late forties and have a lifetime of experience.

Do not cut your hair unless it is unavoidable or you would prefer that to trying to treat it and keep it.

I'm glad the shampoo is working for you. You are correct that yeast is present in everyone and only when it "gets out of hand" does it become a problem. I would like to suggest you increase your intake of probiotics; usually found in some yogurts and cheeses. One yogurt (four ounces) a day should help you maintain a healthy level. If you don't like yogurt or are unable to locate a yogurt or cheese with probiotics in your area, you may be able to take supplements. I do both and alternate so when I don't want yogurt or cheese I take a daily supplement.

You will need to be very careful with your shampoo choices. You don't want a harsh shampoo that is too drying or one that is too oily because that is what encouraged the yeast to become active on your scalp to begin wth. The yeast sprang into action in an effort to assist your own system to combat the unbalanced effects going on on your scalp. Alternate shampoos too. What works for one person may not work for another so you'll need to find shampoos that take excellent care of your hair during different times of the year. I am able to use Pantene, Suave, and a couple of other basic shampoos. Sometimes I just use a warm tea bath and occasionally a tea tree based shampoo (must be within first 7 ingredients) if my scalp gets itchy in winter.

In addition, the only time of year most scalps and hair can tolerate daily shampooing is in the summer when most oil glands are more active so keep that in mind when you are adjusting your shampoo schedules. I never shampoo less than two times a week and never more than four and alternate this depending on the season, indoor conditions (like heat is on), exterior conditions like swimming and sweat producing activities, and how often my hair is up or down, covered with dressings, or wearing hats that hold heat against the scalp.

Cover your hair when you go outside. This is for two good reasons; the first is pollution and the second is sun and wind. Remove your hat indoors so as not to cause your scalp to sweat or excessive heat conditions. Most hair care is common sense and when you treat your hair almost like a favorite article of clothing and care for it that way it will usually always look great. Those are some of my basic suggestions for hair care.

Now I must get going and return to finishing my mini fruitcakes for some gift giving this year; that's why I checked in today when I saw your plea for help. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.