Page 1 of 2 1 2
#353461 11/10/07 01:40 PM
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
How do you organize your stash? What type of containers do you use for grease fleece, washed fleece, processed fleece? How do you store your stash of handspun yarns? Do you have more than one wheel and if so, where do you stash the one(s) you're not currently using? And where do you put it all - in a closet, under the bed, out in a shed?

I'll be moving soon and have a large stash and am simply out of ideas on where to store it all.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
I have a shed I keep my wheels I am not using in and I store my fleeces in Styro foam vegetable boxes with lids.That way I can stack them and write easily on the sides and date them.I also have washed fleece in the house along with the wheels i am using and I use the styro vege boxes or baskets for them. My spun wool is in baskets or see thu plastic boxes with lids that can be stacked. I never store in plastic bags but if i need to I use old sheets to wrap wool in.

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Is your shed climate controlled? I ask because I live in a very wet area and things stored outside, unless well sealed in plastic, tend to collect mold and mildew.

Where do you pile up the storage bins? This is my big problem - where to put the storage bins. I should say that my stash contains about 600 lbs of washed and carded fleece, not to mention the grease fleeces, the yarns, etc.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
I use those large plastic bins on wheels, as they stack, and are easy to use, and check them out regularly as I use up my stash. Fleece gets wrapped in old pillowcases before going in. I do try to be organised and use everything in order of being purchased, but you know how it is....... For my handspun, I use those pop-up laundry baskets as I can put them away when not in use, but at the moment they are full to overflowing, I don't know why!
I have two wheels, a mahogany saxony wheel thats actually not that large (my house is small) and a Babe upright charkha that comes to pieces and lives in a tote bag when not in use so storage is not a problem.
It is possible here in Adelaide to leave things in a shed as long as its well ventilated and the floor doesn't get damp. I stored my floor loom that way for several years, along with the rug yarn I had acquired with it. Sadly once I had the space to set it up, I no longer had the health to use it, so it is no more.
But........I now have a rigid heddle loom and have just found a book on Ebay that tells me how to use 3 RHs together to do overshot etc, so I'm looking forward to that arriving soon! Yayy! laugh

There is no such thing as too much fibre, just not enough storage space.
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
There used to be a magazine here called Prairie Wool Companion which featured a lot of articles on weaving with multiple rigid heddles. I haven't seen the book you mentioned but will keep an eye out for it - it's easy enough to rig heddle bars if I don't have enough shafts on one of the looms.

Wheel #28 just followed me home from a spinning guild meeting tonight....where to go with wheels is a real problem for me. My DH has suggested hanging them from the ceiling.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I have mine stored next to my bed in cardboard boxes for right now. I am just getting started and was considering buying plastic tubs to keep field mice out but was afraid I would ruin my fiber. What do you think?

Sheri

Sheri Ann Richerson
Water Gardens
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I store a lot of my yarns & fibers in plastic bins. They work well, the plastic does not harm the fibers. But - those plastic bins have air holes. I don't know if these are large enough for a mouse to get inside but they are certainly attractive to bees. Unfortunately bees (by bees I mean hornets, wasps, and anything remotely bee like that stings) are attracted to fleeces. I found this out when I went to get a nice fleece to process one day, dumped it out of the box onto the skirting table, wondered why it seemed to be making a strange buzzing sound, started to unroll the fleece and found my hand in some type of sticky mess. Well...what the heck? Next thing I knew I was under attack by a bunch of very mad hornets. The sticky mess turned out to be the honeycomb. So I'd suggest taping over the air holes if you have any bees that might get in there.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Yikes, that sounds scary! Lucky you aren't allergic to bees! (or at least I hope you aren't!)

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Nope, I'm not allergic. My DH isn't either which is a good thing - he was fixing something, disturbed a hive he hadn't seen, and was stung over 30 times. Had to haul him into the ER for that, just to be on the safe side.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
N
N
I'm curious about the length of time you all who store fleeces in plastic bins, can store your fleeces? Most of my bins are in the house where I can reach them easily, but as we are planning to move (whenever the real estate market changes and we sell our house), I was thinking of getting several more plastic bins to store my fiber in. Would you first put the fleece in an old pillow case and then store that in a plastic bin? I was thinking of just stacking the bins in a storage or garage area.

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I've stored grease fleeces out in the shed in sealed plastic bags for years (up to 15 years!) and, when the bag was opened and the was fleece laid out on the skirting table for an airing, it's been as nice as if it were fresh off the sheep.

Moths were a problem with 2 fleeces and both had holes torn in the bags. Wasps were a problem in one fleece which was not stored in sealed plastic bags, just in a cardboard box. It was this one fleece which led me to sealing all grease fleeces in plastic bags.

The thing with plastic bins is that they have air holes. Small rodents, moths and bees (wasps, hornets, etc) can get in there. Small rodents can and will chew through cloth but it seems that they will not chew on plastic.

Yes, there is a school of thought that says storing fleeces in plastic is not a good thing and will ruin the fleece. My experience is that it does not but my experience with grease fleece storage in sealed plastic bags under non-climate controlled conditions is limited to grease fleeces from sheep breeds from my flock. It is quite possible that fleeces from other breeds with higher or lower grease content stored the same way in a different climate may react differently.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
N
N
Thanks Llyn, I think I will just have to try the plastic bins making sure there are no air holes available for critters. The worst that can happen is I lose all my stash and have to start over...right? :)))

Nikki

L
Llyn Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
Good luck finding plastic bins with no air holes. They used to come that way but then some little kid somewhere managed to get closed in one and suffocate. A tragedy for sure but the upshot was no more plastic bins without air holes so the bins are vulnerable to insects when used for outside storage. You might try sealing the air holes with duct tape but if you do this, do check the seals every year - duct tape will deteriorate when exposed to the elements.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.