logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Zebra
Zebra
There is not one member of Humanity who can hold themselves up as perfect. they may behave in an exemplary way, or be an inspiration to others but chances are they are either a reformed character, with a previously dodgy record, or that even in their bountiful and publicly evident Goodness, there are still hidden flaws.
Gandhi had a very turbulent relationship with his eldest son Harilal, who never could adjust to the drastic life-changes Gandhi imposed upon himself and then his family.

"There seemed to be a paradox in Gandhi's treatment of his wife and children and his behaviour towards others. He was exceptionally demanding of himself, and demanding of those closest to him. Whereas he displayed loving kindness to virtually everyone, with his family he could be quite severe. One of Gandhi's best known biographers, Louis Fischer, in "The Life of Mahatma Gandhi", put it beautifully when he wrote to the effect that Gandhi thought his sons could be chips off the old block (an English-language expression) but the block did not chip."

From this website:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: haridas
Is this not a sweeping statement?

But don't you think this is true? Can you suggest anyone who made great accomplishments who did not create some controversy?

H
haridas Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
H
The amount varies.

H
Koala
Koala
H
Well, yes, I suppose it does.

When i think of famous men and women i admire, it seems often their greatness was connected to some controversy that they brought to the attention of many people. Martin Luther King, Jr., Margaret Sanger, Gandi, Rosa Parks, even people like Galileo, Einstein, and Manet... their words and actions created contoversy. Some people agreed with them, others thought they brought evil. But they followed their beliefs anyway and they took a stand. And my guess would be that most of them had times when they didn't know what to do, or they felt they made mistakes, or maybe were grateful other people were there to learn from. It reminds me of something Jimmy Carter once said... something like: the day he realized he couldn't please everyone was the day he was freed to follow his conscience.

H
haridas Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
H
Jimmy Carter said the appropriate thing.

H
Koala
Koala
H
i have been wondering... whose ideal of perfection might one take as a model? Even the major religions of the world, though they have many commonalities, do not completely agree with what should be emphasized in evolving the self and as to morality.

H
haridas Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
H
That will happen only if you are lucky. Otherwise you will get involved with a religion and get nothing at the end.

H
Koala
Koala
H

How does one choose a model for perfection?

H
haridas Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
H
In my opinion that is a life long search.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Holly, I think God has a plan for each of us, but He lets us find our own way. I know, for me, if I try to be Christ-like, I am much happier than if I just float around.

That said, I try to follow the golden rule and be as kind and good as I can be. That helps me know where my morals are and gives me a model to follow. Remember, I said that all the great people that I mentioned were still human and had imperfections. I know that God understands that and forgives me because He knows I am doing what I believe is right.

"Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you". smile

Trish

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.