Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
A while back I wrote about using real life as inspiration for your fiction, and I briefly mentioned taking due caution to avoid referencing real people because of the dangers of being sued for libel.

Here's an example of a libel case that has just been ruled on against the writer. Mathieu Lindon, his publisher, and a newspaper editor (who printed the passages in question) were fined for defaming members of France's National Front party. Lindon wrote The Trial of Jean-Marie Le Pen to speak out against race murders that occured in France.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Shark
Shark
H
What if one gives a disclaimer in the book?

E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
Do you mean the type that says something like "This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any person living or dead is unintentional and co-incidental."?

It would have to be true smile

If you really did use Uncle Joe as inspiration for a character in your book and he recognised himself and thought you portrayed him badly, it could be much easier for him to prove that you damaged his reputation, than it would be for you to prove either that what you wrote was the truth, or that you did not base your character on him.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
H
Shark
Shark
H
Yes. Something like that.

Once you write the word co-incidental it should be safe?

E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
No, not at all. What I meant by "it would have to be true" is that you would have to practically pass a lie detector to be really safe.

You won't be covered if someone can prove that you used them and caused them even anxiety or something like that. It is so risky.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
H
Shark
Shark
H
So, this disclaimer has no value?

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
The disclaimer only has as much value as the amount of truth it represents.

All authors base characters on people they have met or know, unconciously if nothing else. We notice a tic or a personality trait that is interesting, it sticks in our head, then it comes out as a character - usually blended in with characteristics of other people. This type of character or even plot, is what that disclaimer covers - the unintentional similarity between a completely fictional character we create and someone we've kind of noticed in our path.

But if we conciously take a "fictional" character, conciously base him on someone we know - then the disclaimer is no longer true. It was not an unintentional or co-incidental similarity, we did it quite intentionally, and the disclaimer holds no value. Esepcially if the person suing can prove that the character is based on him/her.

Last edited by BellaHarmony; 10/23/07 09:10 AM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
E
elle Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
E
Yes exactly.

Those disclaimers are particularly to clarify whether a story is based on a real life incident/person or whether it is fiction. Someone might watch a movie, for example, and come away thinking "that was so realistic - was it based on a true story?" Then the disclaimer provides the answer to that - no, it was fiction, or yes, it was based on X.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
If you use something or someone real in your book or story, the best thing to do is ask if you can use the person, business, or other brand name and then have them sign something like a contract or something and keep in mind, the brand or person may also want to be compensated for their use as well.

You are better off, especially in a work of fiction, to completely make places and people up from your own imagination.

Also, be sure to thank them in your book as well.

Last edited by WrestlingEditorVance; 10/25/07 12:15 PM.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
L
L
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum.
This topic is so timely for me. I am half way through a novel based on an incident that took place in the Delta here in Botswana. I've mostly based it on the rumours that have sprung up around this incident. It involves a woman whose son is killed by wild animals, hyenas. It happened. I have changed all names, I've researched the case and changed the woman's career, where she lives etc (though not the country). Do you think I'm still in trouble? What if I change the animal to lions- though I like hyenas and have become a bit of an expert? Or maybe instead of the woman being American she's something else foreign? When is different different?

I find this topic a bit blurry. I often write stories inspired by what I read in the newspaper.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.