Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#349251 10/23/07 05:29 AM
H
haridas Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
H
If I want to post about Hinduism, it will come here?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
haridas #349316 10/23/07 12:02 PM
Koala
Koala
I am not sure where you would post to tell ya the truth. isnt Hinduism more like Buddhism? sorry Im not much help!

freespirit #349318 10/23/07 12:09 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hindu and Buddhism are 2 separate religions. Although, many Hindi peoples honor Buddha as one of their Gods. I am sure someone in the Pagan forums can answer questions about Hindu religion or post it in the SPirituality forum.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
E
Koala
Koala
E
Hinduism is considered one of the pagan religions, so posting here is just fine. smile

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #349709 10/24/07 11:39 PM
Koala
Koala
I knew that they were two different religians but I thought they were kinda like Christian and Jewish. one branched from the other.... Sorry aout that!

freespirit #349715 10/25/07 12:11 AM
H
haridas Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
H
No. That is believed only in the west. I do not know why?
Hinduism and Buddhism are treated same in India. In west they are called separate religions.

This is mainly because of ignorance of followers of Buddhism in the west. And also what they are told by some monks.

Those who want to know the truth must visit India and find out reading scriptures and meet more people. Buddha is Hindu God according to our scriptures. He was the last incarnation of Lord Vishnu.

haridas #349716 10/25/07 12:18 AM
E
Koala
Koala
E
Hinduism has a large pantheon of deities, doesn't it? So two Hindi people may not necessarily follow the same god/goddess either. I'm not sure if I'm correct - I only know a little about Hinduism from what I have gathered from a few Hindi friends.

As a young child I was lucky enough to attend a small part of a Hindu wedding. It was very beautiful.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #349717 10/25/07 12:21 AM
Elephant
Elephant
It was my understanding that Buddhism doesn't follow a "g-d" but rather the teachings of g-dly people or prophets, whereas hindus follow many g-d's/dieties.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #349718 10/25/07 12:23 AM
Elephant
Elephant
Buddhism is often described as a religion and a collection of various philosophies, based initially on the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, known as Gautama Buddha. To many, however, Buddhism is not a religion, nor a philosophy or a set of doctrines, but rather teachings to guide one to directly experiencing reality. Buddhism is also known as Buddha Dharma or Dhamma, which means roughly the "teachings of the Awakened One" in Sanskrit and Pali, languages of ancient Buddhist texts. Buddhism began around 5th century BCE with the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, who was born in what is now Nepal and taught primarily in northern India, and is referred to as "the Buddha."

Hinduism (known as Hindū Dharma in modern Indian languages[1]) is a religious tradition[2] that originated in the Indian subcontinent. In contemporary usage Hinduism is also sometimes referred to as Sanātana Dharma (सनातन धर्म), a Sanskrit phrase meaning "eternal law".[3]

Hinduism, many of whose origins can be traced to the ancient Vedic civilization,[4] is the world's oldest extant religion.[5][6] A conglomerate of diverse beliefs and traditions, Hinduism has no single founder.[7][8] It is also the world's third largest religion following Christianity and Islam, with approximately a billion adherents, of whom about 905 million live in India and Nepal.[9] Other countries with large Hindu populations include Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago.

Hinduism contains a vast body of scriptures. Divided as revealed and remembered and developed over millennia, these scriptures expound on theology, philosophy and mythology, providing spiritual insights and guidance on the practice of dharma (religious living). In the orthodox view, among such texts, the Vedas and the Upanishads are the foremost in authority, importance and antiquity. Other major scriptures include the Tantras, the sectarian Agamas, the Purāṇas and the epics Mahābhārata and Rāmāyaṇa. The Bhagavad Gītā, a treatise excerpted from the Mahābhārata, is sometimes called a summary of the spiritual teachings of the Vedas

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #349719 10/25/07 12:26 AM
E
Koala
Koala
E
That's my understanding too. But maybe it's seen in terms of Buddhism is following the path with the Buddha as your teacher, while if you consider Buddha to be your deity then you are practicing Hinduism?

Edit: my post is referring to Jase's first comment smile That is quite an explanation there in the second post Jase.

... and I'm just sitting here watching your cat avatar! It's insane!

Last edited by elleCreatEd; 10/25/07 12:28 AM.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.