logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Shark
Shark
I just went back and read the article from the perspective of if I were being given feedback from an employee that I interpreted as giving me "constructive criticism" involving my duties. To me, it still applies that we can strengthen ourselves and walk away empowered from it, whether it is work related or not.

Most people I talk to feel at least an initial hit to their self esteem when finding out their work is not up to par. Sometimes, they may even be truly misunderstood. It still helps to strengthen ourselves through it.

Now if someone refuses to see the truth about poor performance, that's a different story. However, we are talking about what is true here.

Tami is an Executive Leadership and Business Women's Coach. She invites women to use their genius in business in today's wild economy. http://www.UlimateBusinessCamp.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
haridas Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
H
I understand what you say. How should one take work related negative feedback ?

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
haridas, take work related feedback for what it is worth. If the person giving feedback is someone that you trust, then decide if the feedback is valuable. If it comes from someone who doesn't really matter in your work environment, then take that for what it is worth too, and don't give it any more thought.

Don't let negative feedback affect your feelings or knowledge of how you perform. You know what your worth is, so don't let anybody try to put you down.

Trish

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
When I receive criticism, the 3 highly effective tips that I would use to handle it would be:

1) try to identify why the criticism was given
2) honestly think about the person who gave the criticism, determine if they had MY best interest in mind when they gave it
3) decide if the criticsm was valid and make changes if I realize that it is the truth (otherwise, I would "take it for what it was worth", like I said before)

Trish

B
Shark
Shark
B
There's a rule of criticism that I advise all my writing clients to adhere to. It's not to make changes to their manuscript based on the comments of one reader. I think in life this can apply as well, and this helps us sort out whether the person criticizing us is alone in that criticism or if that person's voice joins those of two or three other people.

One good example would be about when I was a publications adviser at a small college. I would often be engrossed in my computer when people would come up to talk to me. They would start talking, and it would take them a minute or two or longer to realize I wasn't hearing them because I was doing something on the computer. Several of my students complained to me about my "not listening" to them before it dawned on me that the change I needed to make was to at least acknowledge anyone who dropped in at my office and then signal them that I needed at least a few seconds to get out of what I was working on, so I could give them my full attention.

Shark
Shark
I like your answers to haridas, Trish smile Barbara, your example of a work related "feedback" is great! If you had chosen to get offended and take it personally, you may have never realized the way to improve the situation.

Barbara, I also love your rule of criticism. It echos another one I heard on a teleclass last night. We were reminded that often the voice of "one" is not the voice of the crowd. How true!

Tami is an Executive Leadership and Business Women's Coach. She invites women to use their genius in business in today's wild economy. http://www.UlimateBusinessCamp.com
Parakeet
Parakeet
Well here's my example on how not to give critism -- hope you learn from my errors because making others mad just isn't good......

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Aww, that is definitely not a way to criticize, Carenedy, you are right. BUT, I think you received alot of extra criticism that you didn't deserve.

Going on that site can be challenging. wink You kinda have to walk on eggs so none get broken.

Anyway, sorry you got so much response. Keep in mind what I said, take it for what it is worth. smile

Trish

Parakeet
Parakeet
It is what it is what it is..... I do put my foot in it every once in a while.... usually when I'm posting in the middle of the night!!! or overly emotional....

Parakeet
Parakeet
Quote:
Going on that site can be challenging. You kinda have to walk on eggs so none get broken.

Why is that?

Quote:
Anyway, sorry you got so much response. Keep in mind what I said, take it for what it is worth.

Never say sorry when you don't have to.... you didn't do anything

I definetly stepped into you know what knee deep in there. I'm the one who pulled a mother hen and stuffed my foot deep down the gullet.

Last edited by Carennedy; 11/28/07 11:22 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.