Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#347669 10/13/07 05:13 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
When should your child dictate how their hair is cut or what color it is tinted? If they want something very different (and something you don't like,) at what age do you let them do it?

At what age do you let them decide?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/13/07 05:09 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
When do you let them dicide on hair color?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/13/07 05:11 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I'm fairly easy going about the haircut if it is allowed in school - hair grows out.

The haircolor thing -- I think they should wait until they are on their own. It has to be redone and can cost alot.

Shark
Shark
Probably 11-15 for the cut. Color I didn't vote. Because I think it should be probably 16 or 17 and above. I would make them use their own money though. I'd have to have final approval over color until they were out the house.

*~*SwishyKid*~*
Elephant
Elephant
my mom controlled my haircut many years after i was out of the house LOL I did it out of respect I think.

As for color, she allowed me NATURAL colors once I had my own job and money. It wasn't until after I was out of the house that I did more wilder things with hair color. Now as an adult I still play with color (only when my hair is short which it is now).

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I remember back in the 60s when i striped my color and went Platinum, only did it once never agin

Rosie L
L
L
Im only 13 but I think you should let your child choose a color a little darker/lighter than their natural and fone by a pro. I was a brunette trying to go blonde. Now my hair in red.

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I think you are right Frankie. A little darker or lighter is easier on mom's and the relative's nerves. I think at 13 the child needs to be responsible for their choices and realize that sometimes you can't change it right away. You just have to let it grow out or cut it off.

I have three daughters, two of whom are old enough to *I think* start having some say in how they wear their hair.

Daughter number one is Latino and has very curly very thick hair. It's just beautiful!!! She hates the curls and at 11 years old was really starting to worry about how it looked for school. Over the summer we discussed options. She has been growing it out because she wanted it long, but in the process was asking me to flat iron it on a regular basis. I told her this was not an option anymore because I just don't have the time to do that.

I talked to my stylist about chemical relaxers (which were not recommended) and about product to help control friz. In the end we decided on a nice new cut, longer in the front so she could keep some length but stacked in the back to help control some of that curl. She loves it, I love it and it's much easier for her to care for on her own. wink

Daughter number two is Caucasian and has very thin, very fine and very straight hair. She too wanted to grow it out, but because of her age (9) and how little she wanted to care for it herself, we also discussed together getting a nice new cut in a shorter style that would flatter her face and be easier to keep.

Daughter number 3 is two ... so she gets what Mom (or in this case, her Daddy) wants. LOL!

My sons (of which I have 4) are all pretty young and so they get the haircut we pay for. My oldest boy will be 12 and we've experimented with length a few times. We don't *push* our ideals on him, but do suggest changes if we feel the style is getting out of hand or too long. On his own, he decided to cut it short again (YAY!).

Color, I don't know. I won't pay for chemical services for my kids until they are old enough to at least contribute some funds toward the price of the service AND they can show some good common sense in the decision-making process. wink

-Dana

Bright Blessings,
Dana

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Well, considering that I am not even sure what my natural color is anymore....

Seriously, last year, I went through a funky phase. My hair had started growing out from going bald - so I tried some really wild colors: lavendar, hot pink, crayola red. My oldest son (15 at the time) wanted to know if he could died his hair green (his favorite color). I didn't feel I had much leg to stand on to protest, so I said OK, but we needed to consult with our stylist. Any colors that drastic REALLY need to be done by a professional, IMHO.

She talked him into just doing a streak of the green in the very front, because she said otherwise the color would just be too strong and not look right. He liked it to begin with, but got over the novelty fairly quick, and let it grow out, and then got it cut off. I think if I had pitched a fit about it, he probably would have been mush more belligerent about the whole thing. this way he got to try out what he wanted, and decided on his own he really didn't like it, rather than turning it into a rebellion type thing.

Of course my younger two wanted to know if they could get their hair color done as well, but I said in order to do those types of color, they had to wait until 15, just like Michael did. But the 10 year old got to do some natural looking bonde highlights in her normally gold/brown hair over the summer. That seems to have tided her over for the time being.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Shark
Shark
good idea is to let them use color clip ins!

*~*SwishyKid*~*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.