logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
schumi Offline OP
OP Offline
when you're expert in some field,you work well,then how do you improve yourself?watch books?internet?learn from others?do something else that you don't know how to start?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
Koala
H
I am an expert in knitting, and i'm still learning and improving. In knitting i: 1)practice, (knit) 2)explore inventing new techniques and patterns, 3)teach others (this also helps me improve), read knitting magazines, newsletters and books, watch demonstrations of other knitters in person, t.v., and online, explore on the internet, listen to other knitters telling me of news and what they have done and seen.

i think it depends on the nature of your field which options of improvement will be the most helpful to you. But when you are an expert, often it is because you have a passion for your field and you will explore it in any way you can. Experts need to keep current, so this means having some knowledge of new developments and specialties.

I've heard it said that if you read for an hour or two a day on one subject (the subject should be narrow enough), that you can be a national expert within 2-3 years. I believe this is true, and have sometimes been tempted to choose a new subject to study. smile

In what subjects are the rest of our Bella-folk experts? Or would like to be experts? What things can we do well?

Elephant
Elephant
me:

Hair/Beauty
GLBT History/Education
HIV/AIDS Education
Safer Sex Education
Adoption
Mental Disorders/Counseling
Public Speaking/T&D/Communications

However I am always learning something new in the fields every day. My mom told me that the day I stop learning something new is the day I should give up.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
H
Koala
Koala
H
I think if i would like to be an expert in a new subject, that i might choose some way of making a lot of money. That is something which i have not yet been able to do, and don't feel that i know very much about it.

What would you like to learn to be an expert?

B
B
Hi Girls!
Self improvement WHATTA CONCEPT! I have just finished that degree in psychology after having triplets at 43! The sky is the limit. WHatever moves you - JUST DO IT! The world has so much to offer every one of us! Just reach out and grab it... and if you can help anyone along the way - DO SO!
CHeers Boni

Shark
Shark
I agree Boni! The sky is the limit! I have recently been trying to improve my nutrition and physical fitness. I have been eating healthier and going to the gym. I also started taking a yoga class which is wonderful for my body and a great way to meet new people!

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this site but Better.tv is also an excellent source. It's a website filled with videos that are all focused on bettering your life with helpful tips and ideas. I love it and have lots of great stuff!

H
Koala
Koala
H
I am finding repetition and regular habits are very important to improving yourself. I can think of little that i have improved about myself that didn't require my doing it again and again to make any noticible gain.

I think we get impatient with ourselves and want instant results, but it rarely works that way. We fail many times and we have to just keep at it and not give up.

Gecko
Gecko
Ok so this is a long story, kind of funny, but I tested myself this past weekend. My son wanted to go visit his girlfriend in college after his football game. Normally he would just drive there himself, but his car is old and the football game was away so he had to take the bus there.

His girlfriend is a freshman at college and was having her first chior concert, so reluctantly I say that I will take him. Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't really leave my little corner of the world by myself. I don't like to travel.

Anyway, I leave Saturday, armed with my mapquest directions. Find the school where the game is BIG victory for me.

My son and I leave the game. I get on the highway I need to get on. My son decides that he really needs to eat - get off the highway - get food - re-enter the highway. Some how I missed the fact that my highway turned off, about an hour into the ride, I realize that I missed the turn off. Call my husband, he gets on the computer, figures out where I am, points me in the right direction. The highway he puts me on, ends in probably the worst area of town! Did I mention I am a country girl - give me deer and bear, scared to death of gangs and cities. We stop (against my better judgement) at a mini mart and get directions.

FINALLY, get to the college 1 hr and 15 min late. I need to use the rest room BADLY - run in, throw my pocketbook on the back of the toilet, it falls in the toilet (clear water thankfully), use the rest room, dry my purse, run upstairs to where the concert is. We sit down, the chior starts singing a song, very nice. Feel like a weight is lifted off my shoulders. The song ends, the chior takes a bow. The concert is OVER. I could not believe it. Four hours of driving and we hear one song. I felt bad.

I stayed in a hotel that night (first time in a hotel by myself). I actually slept, because I was exhausted from the stress of the trip. Made it home the next day in less that 2 1/2 hrs.

Safe, home in my little corner of the world. I tried it, I don't like leaving my comfort zone. Is there some thing wrong with me? Well probably, but nothing I can't live with. LOL

Just thought I'd share - hope you get a little chuckle out of this.

Elephant
Elephant
nothing wrong with you. You are comfortable near your nest. Venturing out beyond your comfort zone is hard for almost anyone. I recently did that when I went to St. Louis and met up with another editor and her mom and son. Ended up having a blast after I got over the fear.

However, I was elated to be back home ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
H
Koala
Koala
H
Sue, i didn't learn to drive until i was 40... so i can understand !!! My first trip from here near Cleveland to Cincinnati... should have been about four hours and it took me seven. LOL. And i was so tired at the end of it! Both physically and emotionally drained. I've never really gotten better. See? You're not the only one! smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.