logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
abbi77 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I really need to just put this whole story out there, if you don't want to read, I understand. I have been on some form of birth control for the last 3 years, nuvaring for over a year. A few months ago, I even considered stopping, because I was considering ttc #4. I decided against it for the time being because of several things going on in my life. About a month ago, I broke my ankle. On Thursday of this week, I went to a surgery center to have it surgically repaired. Imagine my shock when my urine pregnancy test came back positive. Not once, but twice. That had to be a mistake. Not only had I had a period just 2 weeks ago, it was a heavy one. And I had been having dark brown/black spotting for over a week, that had changed to bright red just Wednesday night (after sex). I've had multiple problems with abnormal pap smears and bleeding between periods, so I assumed that was the cause of the spotting, but no way could I be pregnant. Surgery was cancelled, and I headed to the lab to have a serum hcg drawn. I started to get a little excited. If this baby had made it past birth control, it was meant to be. The baby dreams I had had, my wish to ttc, must have been God trying to tell me it was time, and now He had just decided for me, birth control or not. The lab called later with results. 288. That worked out to about 2 weeks after conception. That was even less likely, considering that was the time I was on my period. I asked the nurse at the OB office what I should do. She told me to go ahead and take the nuvaring out, come back in 48 hours for another blood draw, and see which way the numbers went. If the bleeding was a miscarriage, there was nothing to do to stop it, anyway. She was not sympathetic at all. That night, the spotting continued, more bright red, with horrible abdominal and back pain. Suddenly, the broken ankle didn't hurt so badly, and I was using the Vicodin I had been given for it to medicate my belly & back (after calling the OB on call to make sure it couldn't hurt the baby, if there still was one). I spent yesterday in bed, still in pain. Nausea, dry heaves, generally just felt awful. I chalked that up to stress, and on the plus side, the bleeding had stopped. There was a slight pink staining once or twice, but that was all. Maybe I had thought my way into the cramping & back pain. Maybe my baby was still there. The confusion and not knowing was the worst, I thought. I went back this morning for my second blood draw. 182. The few people I had told don't understand my sadness. I was on birth control anyway, right? I didn't really want to be pregnant, so this is for the best, right? No one seems to understand. I know there are people here who have lost so much more, and I'm not sure I even belong here, but I don't know where else to post this. I wrote a letter tonight to my little one. I hope I haven't offended anyone here. If you have any suggestions about what may have happened, please let me know.

The sadness is overwhelming. A life that never was, never will be. I dreamt you into being, despite insurmountable obstacles. Almost before I knew of your existence, you were gone. I could have never known. I would have never suspected. I am glad that I know you were. Somewhere in the universe, a piece of the greatest love I have ever known is rocked by angels, pillowed on a velvet cloud, innocent forever. My heart aches for you. My arms to hold you, my eyes to gaze just one time upon your face. What beauty could such a love have created? what joy? All you will ever be is a soul, but what a pure and beautiful soul you must be. Forever I will carry you with me, in my heart and in my soul. You were my impossible wish, brought to being by a miracle, taken away before I could know you--by my ignorance? by the wish of another? by timing? by fate? I will never know the reason, but I will be forever changed.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
A
abbi77, i am so sorry you had such a miserable experience. It's hard to believe some people can be so insensitive and even worse, invalidate your right to grieve and mourn your loss. It does not matter that you had been on birth control and weren't actively ttc, it was a beautiful gift and with having children in your life already, you realize how precious that gift really is, having experienced the waiting, the birth, and the growth of the children you have. I wish the unsympathetic nurse could have given you just a little kindness, just a little understanding. I wish your experience had been different altogether. My heart goes out to you and hope you are feeling a little better each day. Please know there are many people out there that can understand your pain, not everyone is as unsympathetic and uncaring as those you spoke of.

A
A
Hi Abbi

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your beautiful words were very moving.

You have every right to feel as you do and I am sure you have not offended anyone by telling your story but instead have helped others.

Maybe the little life that came and went so quickly was brought to you to give you some sort of message about your life and what happens next.

I had an accidental pregnancy very recently which tragically I miscarried at 12 weeks. Despite it being an accidental pregnancy I was absolutely devasted. And like you I felt that many people weren't sympathetic or did not understand the feelings of loss as I think they thought that I never wanted the baby in the first place. Therefore I can try to understand the complex feelings you are going through now. It does get better in time.

We planted a lovely plant in the garden to help us remember our son or daughter. My life will never be the same having been a Mum for such a short time. I do feel that it has showed me something about the direction that my life should now go in and I do feel that by changing in response to this experience, in some way makes my son or daughter continue to live and be with me.

Maybe one day in another world you will get your wish and see your little one.

Hearing others stories and writing about my own has helped me, and means that the little lives lost are not forgotten.

Good luck and take care.

Last edited by Anna99; 06/28/07 12:12 PM.
N
N
Abbi,

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I have miscarried twice this year-have been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, and haven't WANTED to conceive. Just the opposite, in fact. My husband and I are not planning on having children.
And yet. Yet- no matter the reasons we conceive-no matter the results-we are women. We have to find a balance between our bodies and minds somehow-and whether we do or do not plan or desire children, a miscarriage is a loss. Plain and simple.
I'm 34-never wanted kids, and still don't, and yet I have mourned these two losses more than I can express. It's the mystery-the strange magic of our ability to create life-that is so beautiful. And whether we want to or not-and whether we wanted to be pregnant or not- a miscarriage is-plain and simply- a great loss.
My friends and family have asked why my mourning has been so deep when I haven ot wanted children, and it's impossible to explain. Don't beat yourself up-you didn't do anything wrong. And your prayers and poetry are so beautiful, I know that the soul that left your body is shining on you.
Let yourself grieve. You don't need to explain it. Or justify it.
To the other women on this site who hope for healthy pregnancies, I wish you great happiness and success. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to loose a child when one is craved so dearly.
Wishing you peace-
Nicole

Moderated by  Christine - Miscarriage 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.