Next Thread
Print Thread
#342438 09/20/07 02:07 PM
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
I'm looking for suggestions on weaning my just turned 4yo son off his pacifier.

The concern is that we just realized it is affecting the shape of his mouth when we took him to the dentist and they asked if he was a thumb sucker.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to wean him off it?

Thanks!

Donna smile

Last edited by Donna _Budget_Decor; 09/20/07 02:08 PM.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
This is a really difficult one. My kids never used a pecifier, they just didn't like it. Does he use the pacifier all the time? Or just at nap and bed time. You could try telling him that it is just for babies and he's not a baby anymore. He is old enough to use a reward system. Make a sticker chart and every night he goes to bed without the pacifier, he gets to put a sticker on the chart. After so many days, he will get a reward - maybe a trip to the park or something he enjoys. I used this system to get my kids to sleep in their beds and my son was around the same age and it worked.

Also, you could try to replace the pacifier with something like a blanket. My daughter would still be sleeping with hers if she hadn't lost in while we were on vacation (what a nightmare) She was 11 at the time and is now 15 and I think she still misses the blanket. lol

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Our daughter's passy got "misplaced" one day when she was about 3. (I think it was in the glove compartment of my car). But we has just seen the movie "Monsters" (the Disney cartoon). She decided there was a baby monster in the woods that had her passy - and wanted to go look for it. We told her the monster was just a little, bitty baby and really needed the passy. She decided tha baby monster could have it, LOL!

But I have heard a much more mundane, and common, approach to ending the passy - is to cut the end off. It doesn't have to be all the way, just some. The rough edges discourage the child from wanting to suck on it, because it is no longer comforting.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Do it as soon as possible my 11yr old grand daughter still has her pacifier in private. she lives with her father and he see s nothing wrong with it or he just doesn't care, she raises a tantrum if she doesn't have it screaming i need it. i need it.

Rosie L
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
We are trying to work on our daughter who will 4 in November. Alot of people we have talked to have done the same thing with their kids in telling the child to collect all of her binkies or pacifiers or whatever you call them.

When the child collects them, have them put them in a box or decorate a tree with them so the "pacifier fairy" can collect them for babies who dont have them and she will leave a toy for the child in place of the binkies.

We are trying to potty train so that is taking all of our efforts right now.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
I don't remember the exact age but she was 2 or younger, I just put them away. It was a pretty easy transition for my daughter. She was just like that though. We went from a bottle to a sippy cup AND started baby food on the same weekend. Being hungry helped to encourage her.

Personally, I think if you have waited until the child is old enough to TALK to you about it, you have waited too long.

D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Thanks for all the great ideas. I like the idea of rewards. I'll try to think of something like that.

Michelle, I had to laugh at your Monster baby story. LOL When my 17yo was 2, we went out on a speed boat cruise and she dropped hers over the side. We told her the fishies had it now. She went to bed asking for it and when we asked her where it was, she said a baby fishy had it. Problem solved. I sorta felt sorry for her tho...could see her little expression trying to imagine a baby fish with her pacy. But, I had been looking for a way to wean her and so it all worked out.

Vance, we are trying to potty train, too. I've got 5 kids and they all trained differently. This guy is my youngest and has no interest except sitting on a potty fully clothed.

I read once that a pacy or bottle keeps a child in "baby" mindset and it's harder to potty train. So, another reason to wean off this pacy!

I'll keep in touch with how it goes.

Donna

Moderated by  Nicki - BF & EC Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.