Print Thread
#337729 09/01/07 09:24 AM
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
Hi All!

Winter is looming!! Do I have to be so morbid ??? Well actually, winter brings to mind some of the happiest memories. Those fresh,crisp, foggy mornings walking to school.Being allowed out to play in the street, even though it was already dark ( 6.30 pm). The stupid pranks we played around the neighborhood ( I'm planning an article on that one ---anyone interested in adding their tuppence-hal'penny worth?????).The smell of damp clothes in the classrooms, hung strategically close to the heating pipes. Football in the rain ( soccer or Gaelic)etal etal.
I'm sure many of you have even better tales. Let's share them around our "Irish Culture" family and fire up those wonderful memories.

Tony King
irishculture
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Bobbing for apples and boxty and homemade costumes for trick-or-treat.

Grandma knit mittens for each child. In one marathon, she started with the snow and had every finger covered before the snow ended, eleven pairs of mittens in one good snowstorm. No trouble.

Long, dark nights and no street lights, only window-light miles apart, and then those lights go out. Don't be out in only moonlight. Saying prayers in case of that!

Cheers,
Mary Ellen

T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
HI Mary Ellen!

Thanks for the input.

But my mom can beat up your granny!!!!!! LOL LOL.

Well----my mom and my Aunt Kitty, who was a polio victim at the age of two and lived with us as we were all growing up.

Between the two of them ---- every winter ---each of us --all nine !! had a new white Aran sweater to wear. Between them they clicked out those Aran sweaters for both girls and boys. The boys got extra special ones with the roll- neck. Remember those?? Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers made them very fashionable.
And how grateful were we ????? While we enjoyed the warmth of the sweaters, Oh how much we wanted to have a "store-bought" jumper!!!
What miserable, ungrateful kids we were!!
What I wouldn't do right now to have the two of them sitting on either side of the fire and hear the "click-clack" of those needles and be presented with a new hand-made Aran sweater each winter.

Tony King
irishculture

Moderated by  Bee - IrishCulture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.