Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
lynlin Offline OP
OP Offline
L
It's absurd how some people behave and think they are being strong, cool or funny when they are really just being rude.

Marjorie Bishop
Etiquette
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
This may not be under manners because emplyees at most places are taught to do this but...
Bank clerks who call me by my first name.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
L
lynlin Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I agree this is a breach of etiquette. Some companies encourage such behavior by their employees in a misguided attempt to intill a friend or family type rapport with their clients/customers. Personally I consider it a lowering of the Etiquette Standard. If you find it offensive you may politely tell them you prefer being called Ms/Mrs/Miss Houghton.

Marjorie Bishop
Etiquette
lynlin #344190 09/26/07 08:56 PM
Koala
Koala
mm but would they not think your the one who is rude or impolict?

Shark
Shark
Would rather be called by my name than many of the alternatives??

The one I agree with the most, grocery check out clerks. "When's your break? I haven't gotten one yet. Did you see that Joe came in late again today, I need to take my break or I'm not going to get one, again." They aren't speaking to me, I'm just the one who's going to "graciously" pay them $100+ at the end of the ordeal. And the latest grocery store adventure, the box boy who loaded my groceries into my car and left his cart behind my car to go visit friends in the parking lot. I had to get back out of my car and move his carts, what the??

Teenage weekend supervisors. You know the ones at the mall. I would much rather have the bank clerk acknowledge my existence than the clerk that doesn't say a word to me.

People who never say thank you. Those times when you go out of your way to help and they just expect it, after all, it's all about them.

lynlin #344269 09/27/07 07:33 AM
Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: Lynn - Etiquette
I agree this is a breach of etiquette. Some companies encourage such behavior by their employees in a misguided attempt to intill a friend or family type rapport with their clients/customers. Personally I consider it a lowering of the Etiquette Standard. If you find it offensive you may politely tell them you prefer being called Ms/Mrs/Miss Houghton.

We had a sales rep calling on us, who tried to employ this tactic..
"Well, you see, Alex.... may I call you Alex?" and he smiled broadly.
I, smiling equally broadly, replied sweetly,
"No, I hardly know you. You may call me Mrs Price." (I've since divorced, but that's irrelevant....)
He completely lost his way. That reply was so unexpected to him, and he was so totally unprepared, that he proceeded, over the NEXT 4 HOURS (!) to pour his heart and life-story out to me, all his tales of woe and problems, that, well, he basically lost the sale. We never did go for the fully-fitted bathroom he was trying to sell us.

lynlin #540702 08/01/09 02:38 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Great topics for consideration. Regarding driving etiquette, I've covered crosswalks but not parking lots. I'll put that on my "to do" list.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.