logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I was enjoying a lovely afternoon with my friend yesterday at the Kimbell art museum in Fort Worth. Somewhere between becoming engrossed in Picasso's "Head of a Woman" and van Gogh's "Self Portrait," my peaceful serenity was totally wrecked by some screaming kid. The thing was wailing through room after room, and I finally asked a curator to what extent the wailing had to go before someone said something to the stroller operator. I was fuming, and my friend couldn't blame me.

She told me about one of her friends who went to a spa where some mother had brought her screaming kid. The friend promptly walked up to the mother and demanded she pay for her spa treatment, citing that she was there to relax and unwind, which was totally impossible with the terrible noise from her noisy, unpleasant offspring. I don't know if she was successful or not, but it's definitely something to think about the next time I'm trying to enjoy something for adult appreciation.

I would love to have the guts to say, "Can we strike a deal here? I won't complain to the staff about your screaming kid such that you'll have to exit the building with it if you'll be courteous to pay for my ticket."

"Men and women think that it is necessary to have children. It is not. It is their animal nature and social custom, rather than reason, which makes them believe that this is a necessity." --Democritus
Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
Gecko
Gecko
P
Seriously, what does a stroller bound kid get out of a Kimbell museum visit?

Leave it at home and do the world a favour. Sheesh.

Last edited by Pikasam; 08/20/07 02:46 PM.

Childfree? Join us at www.thechildfreelife.com.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
You have every right to be annoyed. Children don't belong everywhere. They freak out every couple of hours or so, so you have to know that if you will be at the museum for three hours, there's a chance your child might be obnoxious at some point.

I would have asked the spa to reimburse me for allowing this woman to disrupt my experience. Then it would force the woman to take responsibility for herself and her child. With a spa, you are paying for a certain type of environment. It's a place where people go to get *away* from kids.

I think there should be noise-free areas from here on out. We flew home from Florida yesterday, and I got stuck with yet another talker on the plane. I brought my ipod this time, but this guy was so loud and annoying that it didn't help much. I will eventually invest in the no nonsense earphones that block *everything* out.

I just can't stand noise, and I don't get why people think it's okay to talk incessantly when they are in close quarters with other strangers. I was so tired, and I was huffing and puffing in my seat when he would make his loud proclamations. If the flight had been an hour longer, I would have had words with the man. When the plane landed, and we were disembarking, he was *still* talking my DH2B's ear off, and talking about nothing. The woman next to me thought he was really annoying, too. Why don't people get the hint when the flight attendants dim the lights, and hand out earphones that it's "quiet time." Some people are so dense.

Save your own life - don't have kids!
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
This annoys me to no end. Museums are quite places, kids aren't hard to figure out and if you know your kid can't handle it don't take them. I know which of my friends babies and kids I could take and could not take, so parents should be able to as well.

Secondly there are things such as children's museums or sections of museums geared for kids. That is where kids should be.

Not to mention the fact that why would you drag your kid somewhere where they won't enjoy themselves? Ultimately you both will have a horrible time.

As for kids in spas I can't begin to explain that one. Those types of luxuries I would save for teenagers and adults, something to look forward to.

B
Shark
Shark
B
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but the new trend here is to take infants, toddlers and untrained dogs to art fairs. Between the strollers clogging already crowded walkways, toddlers scrambling around underfoot, dogs menacing children and each other and trying to steal refreshments if you dare buy any plus dodging the poop piles the trashy owners refuse to pick up, it's become quite the ordeal. WHY do they have to try to ruin art fairs?

Parakeet
Parakeet
On Saturday, my husband and I went out for dinner in one of the upscale neighborhoods nearby. (Colleyville - Angela P. probably knows where it is!) Of course, the place was full of families, though it's not particularly a family-oriented establishment. But they do provide highchairs, like every other nearby restaurant. So the hostess tries to seat us next to a family with a highchair toddler. Oh boy! I quickly and discreetly said, "Do you have someplace else..." then my husband noticed a table that was by itself, though it was for four and we were two. She did seat us there, though. But what made her think that a couple without children would want to sit by a toddler in a highchair? The tables are fairly close together, ours would have been about a foot from the family's. Instead we got to watch another family that had a toddler that SHOULD have been in a highchair, because he was out of his chair at every opportunity, with no parental correction. At least they weren't within food-throwing range.

Cindy

Last edited by Cookiecody; 08/20/07 10:32 PM.
Gecko
Gecko
The spa thing is just ridiculous! You know what it is? It's too cheap (or paranoid!) to get a sitter.
I am pretty lucky, even though my holidays are school holiday times I don't have many run-ins.
But this weekend, on Saturday I saw the Simspons movie --- fortunately reasonably quiet audience, one of the adults near me laughed a bit laugh that's all but it was fine.
Then I got a "home-made" burger from a home made style burger place. I sat where I could people watch if I wanted but then this baby?? tot?? started to SCREAM it's bloody head off! I couldn't even SEE it but it was ECHOING!
There was one of those kiddie cars - parents pay, kids sit in them and are moved a wee bit from side to side - nearby but it didn't seem to be coming from there but they were SHRIEKING seriously. Was still going at least five minutes later, not a happy shrieking, like a baby or tot crying, screaming.
So I had to go INSIDE the burger place/restaurant to enjoy my burger in SILENCE!
Usually I don't mind if kids have "melt-downs" cos I just think thank god I don't have any of THOSE!!! But THIS time, it was just ANNOYING!

I leave the child-rearing to people who feel called to it. I've never felt that call.
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
ARGH!!!
Just don't get me started on this...

The SPA really takes the cake!
What a selfish woman.
So clueless (I don't understand why the Spa allowed her child in. Aren't there rules regarding this?)

I
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I
The spa I go to has an age limit, thank goodness. (They also ask people to turn off their cell phones.)

While waiting at the gate at the airport last week, two infants were screeching. After about 15 minutes, I finally laughed in frustration and the lady across from me said, "I can't take this at 5:00 in the morning." I agreed, then said to my husband that listening to them made *me* want to cry. Does anyone else have this reaction? After being subjected to the constant crying, I really feel like I could burst into tears myself.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: iluvsummer
I agreed, then said to my husband that listening to them made *me* want to cry. Does anyone else have this reaction? After being subjected to the constant crying, I really feel like I could burst into tears myself.

Yes, I said this exact thing a couple of days ago on the forum (great minds think alike, and all of that). If someone interrupts my sleep, I am cranky until I make up the sleep. And I would literally cry if someone not only woke me up in the middle of the night, but if I had to deal with someone that was *crying* in the middle of the night. Brutal!

Save your own life - don't have kids!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.