Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#336393 08/27/07 11:18 PM
S
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
S
Hello there

Does anyone do the concentrating on the breath meditation?The in and out..?I just cant sit still....is there any other meditation one can do without a teacher?
ss

Life is great & i love it!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Perhaps a walking meditation would be more to your taste. Try it with 2 steps to breathe in and 2 steps to breathe out until you establish the pattern.

S
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
S
That sounds tuf..?I will definitely give it a try :-)
Thanx Susan.
ss

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Silentspace - Let us know how it goes for you ...

S
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
S
Hi Susan
Actually it doesnt seem to work.Right now i am trying to focus my attention on the "NOW" and its not easy.I am better off meditating while am sitting down and closing my eyes.
Why do i feel like leaving everything and going to the Himalayas or the like?
hmm....

Zebra
Zebra
There is a quotation that states:
"If you cannot find Peace, serenity and qietness of Soul where you are right now - then where else do you expect to find it?"
Whilst I would agree that a calm atmosphere and a suitable ambience are ideal pre-requisites for meditation, it's difficult in everyday life, in the ordinary scheme of things, to generate such an ideal...

Let me see if I can help... I know it's long, but read on....

Meditation is very challenging. It can sometimes take courage to overcome the obstacles we encounter during such quiet, introspective times.
But the challenges you meet during meditation are products of your own mind, and as such, are, believe it or not, eventually yours to control.
It is also worth bearing in mind that the primary function of meditation is not to heal you, or make you better. Although indubitably, they will. No, your main primary focus and desire should be to reach a meditative plane of calm and mental void.
That's not to say you must try to stop thinking. Not at all - what's a Mind for, after all....?
You primary goal is to attain a release from the constrictive, negative and punishing constant, relentless, aimless thinking - that actually torments us all, in one way or another.
And know that with Courage, Patience, persistance and perseverance, meditation can - and will - transform you.

meditation isn't a practise that need be confined to a specific quiet place, in a specific atmosphere, on your own or with people....
For my part, I have found that even at work, if I sit back in my chair for 10 seconds, and bring my focus and attention onto my breathing and just "Being Here and Now in the Present Moment" - it can make a subtle difference.....

On another plane, there are many who believe that in order to meditate, you should do so in a quiet, calm atmosphere, maybe with some soothing appropriate music playing in the background, and the delicate aroma of pleasing incense to calm the senses....And ideally, yes, this would be the most wonderful atmosphere in which to meditate.
But the real and occasionally harsh reality is, that 99% of the time, this ideal environment is simply not available. And it actually takes effort to obtain it...maybe driving for an hour through prime-time traffic to get to your chosen centre..., buying all this stuff, and the cushion or stool, too...and what's the best music to use....? And should i also get a timer....? Or warning the rest of the family you'll be unavailable for a while.... And if you're a busy mum of young kids, you can pretty much forget that one for a start!
Sometimes, the most productive "way" to meditate is to start Exactly Where You Are.
If you're driving somewhere, do you find your mind wandering, and you're thinking about anything else but what you're doing...? A pedestrian who looks funny, or what the weather's doing, or what we need to buy from the supermarket - once we get there and find a darn parking space! "And what the heck is that guy doing on that bike! Why don't cyclists respect traffic lights? And honey, I wouldn't wear that blouse with that skirt - oh, big colour mistake, babe... Hey, litter-bug! Lady, why don't you teach your kid what a wastebin looks like? Oh man, shoot! I need to add white wine to the list....and what time did my partner say he'd be home? if he comes in late again and dinner's ruined, I'll go mad....Jeez, I must do some ironing when I get home.....he needs a clean shirt for tomorrow...Oh, and, I need fabric softener too...."
See? We've even forgotten we're in a car....

Sit back.
Relax.
Breathe normally, and smile softly to yourself.
Let it all go.

Have your hands safely on the wheel, and just Be with Yourself, right Now.
See everything, but don't let any running commentary invade your mind.
A blue car goes past.
Note the blue car going past, without thinking,
"A blue car is going past."
Watch the lights, and wait for the green, without thinking,
"Ok, I'm waiting for the green...."
if your mind starts to be invaded with thoughts, just smile softly to yourself, and come back to your Centre.
It's normal, don't worry.
Just let it go, and do without thinking.
Check your mirror - white truck behind you.
Just notice it, that's all.
Indicate left, without thinking, "indicate Left."
Turn the wheel smoothly, serenly, and safely.
Drive.
Go.
Stay.
Smile.
Be.

If you are meditating, and it's noisy, then make the noise part of your meditation.

What noise is it?
Is it a combination of sounds?
is it made by a machine, or a person?
Does it fluctuate?
If there are many sounds, try to separate them and listen to each sound in turn....
if it's traffic, notice the different cars..
If it's birds, note the different songs....
if it's children, note the different voices....
if it's at work, note the different components....

But without commentary.
Fix on each one, individually, and bring it out against the others.
Don't think about it.
Just do it.

But don't think all this....
Discern it all, without commentary.
let your Hearing work it out for you.
Stay where you are.
Breathe.
Smile.
Detach.
Disengage.
Be.

Now isn't that nice...?

EDIT NOTE:
The above is a composite of posts I placed elsewhere, to assist someone through their meditation. Others contributed too, but i have no right to copy nor plagiarise their words...
But I hope the above helps in some way.

Last edited by Alexandra; 08/29/07 08:06 AM.
S
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
S
Hai Alexandra,
Thankyou soooooo much for the long and very helpful reply.I understand what you say.Now is the time and i am in the now.I am not gona waste my time and energy but gona focus my mind on the now.Yup!
Thanx buddy!

S
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
S
I dont want to go to the himalayas for peace.hehe thats not what i meant.
I meant .. what use is all this running and hassles.....why does somethn pull me into space....i so much wana be a part of that space.I am but not completely(do i sound insane?)
ss

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Silentspace - yes, staying in the moment is important - so is learning from the past.

Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: silentspace
I dont want to go to the himalayas for peace.hehe thats not what i meant.
I meant .. what use is all this running and hassles.....why does somethn pull me into space....i so much wana be a part of that space.I am but not completely(do i sound insane?)
ss

No. You are not insane...
We all have a duality to our existence...everything we do has a begining and an end, two sides to it, a multiple of choice...here, there, this that, up down, in out, left right, back front, so we live in a perpetual state of duality.... But the trick is to focus on who is doing all this...and to underatand that as life revolve around us frenetically pulling us this way and that, we are a constant...we are the feeler, the thinker, the do-er... and that duality does not really exist... because sunrise and sunset are merely the spinning of the globe...the sun goes nowhere.... whatever we chose to do, it is constantly we who choose the experience...It is we who choose the perception... so wherever you are, whatever you're doing, to cease the pull, look inwards, not outwards. Hymalayas are 'there', but you - and the Hymalayas - are actually "here"....

Now....
Do I sound insane...?! laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Susan Helene Kramer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.