Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#336236 08/27/07 07:14 AM
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this article. Recently we have been decluttering, partially because of a mold problem that we were having in our basement. We threw away so much junk, some of it was stuff still in boxes from when we moved almost 4 years ago. It was very liberating and we went through every room in the house and ruthlessly threw things away. There was only one thing I was looking for later that we threw away but right now I can't remember what it was so it couldn't have been too important. I made a few piles for the kids and some of it was stuff from when they were still at home. I told them take it home or I am chunking it!

I will be looking forward to more tips. I have changed the way I shop and think twice before I buy things (nonessentials) and ask myself if I really need this!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
There is nothing that feels better than to get rid of all the stuff you have accumulated. Your life just feels decluttered when you do this. You can focus on what's more important when you don't have all this garbage in the background. That goes for mental garbage as well. I was never good at keeping anything organized, but one day I decided that come hell or high water, I would have a beautiful organized house. My house was never dirty, just cluttered, which other people thought of as dirty. Now that I got organized, donated items to goodwill, and keep only items I use on a frequent basis, everyone thinks my home is spotless. Haven't really change a thing, just organized and got rid of clutter.

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Hi Nancy,
That sounds so good. I am afraid ,i can be a friend of clutter. I find it so hard to throw things out. In case.... you know the one? It sometimes feels the things are actually a part of me. Yet when I do get a 'fit' on a sort it all out I feel so much better. I will have to gear up for one...!

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
What I do is take pictures of things I think I'll really miss and then I can hang those on my cork board or use them as backgrounds. So I can still enjoy the beauty of the item without it cluttering up things.

Think about the real dollar value of something. If you have a clean home and REALLY need the thing again, you can probably get the $5 or whatever to get a new better working one smile Especially if you donate things to charity and get a tax write off, consider the value of that as your "fund" for rebuying something if you really need to. And in the meantime the object will be actively used and treasured by someone who needs it instead of rotting unused in your basement smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Tiger
Tiger
I'm so not in to the whole ebay, yard sale stuff so I joined a freecycle yahoo list in my area. When ever I come across something that hasn't been used in 2, 5 or 10 years I list it and it is usually gone within a few days freeing up useful space for something else.

It takes practice getting rid of stuff. But once you start it feels good knowing that someone else is actually using it and that you have this extra space.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Right exactly. I remind myself that it's far better for the thing to be loved and in use than abandoned in a corner.

Low Carb Forum
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I am the worst pack rat. Everything I have or accumulated has some kind of "sentimental" value and I quoted that word because I believe it is crutch or an excuse not to get rid of anything.

That is my whole problem and as Moe said, it takes practice to throw things away. Hopefully, I will be able to start practicing it soon.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Vance - try the photo technique. That way you document it and have a record of what it meant to you in the past - but now you pass it along to someone else to use and love today smile In a way if you cherish something it's a shame to have it unused! If it's a cherished sweater, imagine some person having it become their absolute favorite thing that they wear daily and are so thrilled to have ...

Low Carb Forum
I am packing for our move in less than two weeks now. Everything that I have not needed for a few years I am getting rid of it. I am taking it to the Salvation Army. Some things, like craft supplies, I will donate to my grandson's school for art projects.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Parakeet
Parakeet
The "charity pile" in the corner of our bedroom (mostly clothes and small items) is growing. Very soon, our home will be at least 40lbs lighter. I'm actually pretty excited about that. More decluttering to come!

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
N
Parakeet
Parakeet
N
I just gave 3 big bags of clothes to a local charity. I love all the closet space I have now. smile

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Nancy isn't that so freeing! I try to go through every other month or so and find even one item to donate. Sometimes it's hard to choose the item because at this point I've really whittled the clothes down - but then I honestly never have missed the item afterwards. I just was never wearing it anyway.

We usually have big brother big sister show up here every month or two but they haven't been by in a while. I'm going to go write them now!!

Low Carb Forum
B
Koala
Koala
B
They just got these planet aid yellow dumpsters to donate clothing and shoes so I am not using that once a week since there is one at the laundromat and the gas station.

A middle school teacher just came here and got the 12 bionicle sets I gave away and some books (moby dick) for his class as rewards. I thought that was nice and the second time a teacher has responded to a craigslist ad I posted. Last time was the national geo mags I gave away.

I get so inspired from NEAT on Discovery Home and Clean Sweep that I tossed out exceptional parent mags from 1998 - 2004 that I had saved. 1998 was the year my son was diagnosed with autism and I was holding on to those mags for sentimental reasons and like the lady says on TV all old articles are now on line.

And I tossed out a 1986 Mc Calls mag that had an article on autism and it was very tall and large. If the mag was in great condition I would have saved for ebay.

my neighbor has the last edition of a los angeles newspaper and ebay has it listed for two dollars and another doing it for 200.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Definitely if you can sell something for money, that is great! But also if you donate something to charity you can tax deduct its sale value so that works well too.

It is very true that many magazines and such we might save have all their information online now anyway. Which is much easier to read and search through!

I did in fact write the BBBS so hopefully they'll write back and tell me they can come out soon smile

Low Carb Forum
B
Koala
Koala
B
I don't earn enough to do deductions on my taxes and already spent my refund that I got on Feb 8th. This was through Craigslist and an individal so no way to document it either.

It feels good to just donate with nothing in return.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Amoeba
Amoeba
I am getting things around for my mother's garage sale this spring. I already have three boxes in the garage ready to do, and more in the family room that need to be priced yet. Anything not sold will go to charity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.