Next Thread
Print Thread
#334521 08/17/07 06:16 PM
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
I just wrote an article about using fake, phony, immitation flowers in decorating. What do you think? Love the idea? Hate the idea? Do you think it saves money over fresh flowers? Do you think it's worth the savings to sacrifice real for fakes? Do you have fake flowers in your decor? How do you use them? Please share. Any and all thoughts & ideas are welcome!

Donna smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Shark
Shark
C
I DO use them. I'm pretty picky about the quality, though. I try to choose the ones that, to me, look very close to real and are otherwise outstanding and eye-catching. I also mix in certain natural materials that are relatively permanent like interesting branches or seed pods.

The advantages of immitation plants/flowers are pretty obvious. People with very busy lives (most of us!) often do not have the time or the interest needed to keep refreshing a natural arrangement or plant. Immitation plants/flowers can stay good looking for quite a while with the occasional dusting. Also, such arrangements are ultimately cheaper than trying to keep fresh flowers around all the time--unless you have a fabulous flower garden.

Another advantage to artificial plants/flowers is variety. It can be prohibitively expensive to purchase a broad variety of cut flowers. Even if you had a fabulous flower garden, your climate would limit the variety available.

I must be doing something right with my artificial arrangements because people frequently mistake them for "real."

Don't get me wrong, though. In an ideal world, I'd have fresh flowers shipped in every morning! They are absolutely beautiful. So, Donna, what did your article say? I'd love to know your opinion.

cela
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Hi Cela!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I can appreciate all your reasons for using immitation flowers in decorating.

Here is a link to my article -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I used fake flower arrangements in my house and fake plants too. I read about Feng Shui that it doesn't really matter if they are fake or real.

I don't have much luck growing really nice plants in my house, plus I don't have much time to take care of them.

I think a beautiful fake flower arrangement really adds to the decor if you get nice ones.

D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Hi Green!
I find myself fooled by faked plants quite often. Especially in doctor's offices. It's really hard to tell! If they add little rocks or gravel to the inside of the pot, that makes it look even more real.

Hey! I just realized I use artificial trees during the holidays! LOL Altho, some years we buy new. Depends on our mood.

Donna

D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Okay - anyone have ideas on a good cleaner for artificial flowers and plants? Is there a product that can keep the dust off the fabric longer? I find it difficult to dust without it smudging the flowers. Another reason why I'm on the fence about using them in decorating....

Donna smile

Koala
Koala
I have heard you should putting them in a bag with a hand full of salt, and shake it up. It is supposed to rub the dust off without messing with the shape of the leaves/petals. But I don't know how well that works.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
C
Shark
Shark
C
Hi, Donna--It's taken me a while to get back on line and answer you. As to where I use these arrangements, I generally use artificial flowers as I would real ones--mostly in arrangements in each room of my house, keeping the scale of the room in mind. I try not to overdo the number of arrangements in a room. I don't want the house to look like a funeral parlor! I do a little decorating on the side; and, in clients' homes, I do the same thing.

I've also used artificial arrangements in altar flowers for weddings and in a gift of altar flowers to my church. In the case of weddings, I do NOT recommend artificial flowers for bouquets. They do, however, look really good (if done right) on and near the altar. They are far enough away from the congregation not to be scrutinized too closely.

My church is pretty small and has a tight budget. Buying fresh flowers each week would be too costly. As a result, we had a couple of small evergreen potted plants taking the place of any flowers. These plants were too small--not in scale with the size of the sanctuary. So, I made a couple of large scale artificial arrangements. This past week, I added a few more flowers to the original arrangements; and it occurred to me that you could add and subtract flowers from such an arrangement to keep it "refreshed." People tell me these arrangements look real.

Something I do that probably adds to the "real" look--I almost never leave the stems of artificial flowers straight. Mother Nature usually produces a few twists and curves in her stems, so, I try to mimic those twists and curves. There are a couple of exceptions like cala lillies and gerber daises--their stems usually stay pretty straight, although, a bit curved, in real life.

Another point about artificial flowers is to BE CAREFUL ABOUT COLOR. Try to choose natural colors. For instance, blue roses just scream FAKE. (Yes, I know, some real flowers can be dyed, but I usually don't like those either.) And, to me, flowers with the fake dew drops are a bit cheesy; but I guess that could be a matter of taste. Something else cheesy: fake flowers on graves and in flower beds. I'd rather see dead flowers on a grave than muddy, dusty plastic flowers. To me, plastic flowers in a grave yard just look like someone is not planning to visit the grave ever again. And, fake flowers in a flower bed, well . . . what can I say? They just look odd. I guess part of it is that you'd have to use plastic outside to stand up to the weather, and plastic flowers just are NOT artful.

Another tip: A man in my Sunday school class who is a landscape architect pointed out that most artificial trees come in pots that would not support the trees' actual size, if the trees were alive. So, if you use an artificial tree, place its original pot in a larger pot and put some rocks or peat moss over the "ground" to disguise the original pot. With trees, too, you can often bend the branches to make them look more realistic.

In your article, you addressed the question of cleaning artificial flowers. You can dust them pretty well with a soft make-up brush, but this is a SLOW process. A lot of times I just blow the dust off with a deep breath. Sometimes I'll just dismantle an arrangement and shake all the flowers, then redo the arrangement. I've been pretty rough with them, and mostly they stand up to the abuse. If the dust won't shake off, I have even hand-washed the flowers in cold water. This is a last resort, though. You never know if they are color-fast. Once in a while, you just have to throw out some artificial flowers. Nothing lasts forever!

Fun talking to you.

cela
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Connie, now that you mention it, I think I've heard of that salt trick, too. Also have never tried it. Course, the only artificial flowers in our house right now are those in my daughter's bedroom - and most of those are pinned up on her ceiling. No way am I climbing up there to clean 'em. If she's happy, I'm happy. smile But, I would be concerned salt would stain the fabric.

Cela, thanks for sharing. You mentioned a lot of things in the book that I'm writing my review about. It will be featured on my site next week. Your post could have been my article! LOL

As you mentioned, the author suggests trimming and rearranging flowers just like they were real. It makes more sense.

I laughed about your comment on blue roses - he said something similar in his book. Funny thing - years and years ago I had filled an antique water basin with artificial burgundy, pink and...you guessed...it BLUE roses! LOL I was into the whole blue and mauve theme back then (we're talking 1980's). I just used deeper hues than the 80's look to make my decor more of a rustic burgundy/blue country.

I appreciate your suggestions - thanks for sharing them!

Donna smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.