Famous Flaming Stone Beer.

Cheers!
Dragonfly
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hmmm...that's Chuck Skypeck's creation...Are you from Nashville, Tennessee?

Carolyn, Beer & Brewing Editor
The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

Gecko
Gecko
Root Beer

E
Koala
Koala
E
Victoria Bitter (very easy)

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
miller

Rosie L
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I somehow doubt it, Carolyn.

I have no 'go to' beer.

I'll give you some background even. When I did have a 'go to' beer it was Schlitz. The last 6 months I have been drinking Baltika.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
elleCreatEd -

Victoria Bitter or VB - Are you from Australia? You may be from New Zealand or the UK, because it is pretty common there, too; but my guess is Australia. What part?

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
rdywenur -

Root Beer....hmmm...I have heard that Gulfport, Mississippi is the Root beer capital of the world...or Chicago and Barq's...Yes, that's it! Chicago?

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hi Rosie,

Miller...that's tough because it's kinda'...what would you say? available in a lot of places! Ah! South Africa?

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
FrankJBN,
What? You doubt I can do it??? Shame on you! Ha-ha!

Let's see, If you were a Schlitz drinker, you may have been from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Baltika throws me, though...perhaps you are Russian by ethnic heritage, and you love living on Lake Michigan. Am I close?

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

E
Koala
Koala
E
Originally Posted By: Carolyn-Beer & Brewing Editor
elleCreatEd -

Victoria Bitter or VB - Are you from Australia? You may be from New Zealand or the UK, because it is pretty common there, too; but my guess is Australia. What part?

Hee. What part = Victoria! (Melbourne) Told you it was easy. Even easier because it's written below my avatar...

Right now, though, we're drinking a lot of Cascade Premium Light simply because it is cheaper but still a really good tasting beer. Yes, a light beer that tastes great. But that doesn't mean we're from the place where Cascade comes from... Carolyn, do you know that one?

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
To Elle -

Funny one! Yes, I guess it IS below your avatar! I feel like...DUH! LOL!

No, I do not know Cascade Premium Light! Tell me more!

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Not within x miles. Even telling you telling you how far off geographically you are is a clue is a clue.

As to Russian, ethnicity, nyet.

This might help (I don't know that it will, but maybe the following practice is particular to a region): You really can't do this anymore there are so many beers on market, but at bars I used to order "draught beer" - no name brand just "a draught."

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I don't doubt your beer knowledge, Carolyn, but with the breadth of distribution brands can have today, it is hard to pin someone down based on their brand.

Speaking of Wisconsin, I could be a Leinie drinker - I just saw that brand in a refrigerated case a few blocks from my home. I first saw it in Nebraska.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
FrankJBN - Not only brand, but also style, can tell a lot about a person and where they come from. Bear in mind that this is an International Site. True, there are now about 1,400 small, independent, and traditional craft brewers in the United States, with distribution of some of those beers widespread from coast to coast. However, if you drink Singha, I might think you are from Thailand; Happoshu, from Japan; Sahti, from Finland; Tsingtao, from China; Ginger Beer, Western New York State, perhaps, Syracuse or Buffalo.

You're right. No one would be good enough to hit the mark every time, and I don't profess to be so arrogant as to think I can portray such a talent where others could not. I just enjoy seeing where people are from, and having them share their world with me. Each one is an expert in his/her own way, and I love experiencing beer through their eyes.

Okay, not Wisconsin or Russia. Leinie is most available in the central US, so perhaps Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, or Michigan? Am I getting warm? Chicago? Des Moines?

Last edited by Carolyn-Beer & Brewing Editor; 09/02/07 08:32 AM.

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

Gecko
Gecko
Nope...I could not resist the temptation.I was just being a wise a$$. (and not from Chicago either) I love a root beer float. Some call it a black cow.

Last edited by rdywenur; 09/06/07 08:24 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Hmmm..."A black cow" for a root beer float. Must be Spain? You know, the bullfighters always flash their red capes in front of the eyes of black bulls! And this sounds a little like bull, si? Ha-ha! You're pretty much fun! Seriously, maybe Wisconsin?

Do you drink Chocolate Stout Floats, too? Mmmmmm...

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

E
Koala
Koala
E
To Elle -

Funny one! Yes, I guess it IS below your avatar! I feel like...DUH! LOL!

No, I do not know Cascade Premium Light! Tell me more!

Sorry, I've been away.

Cascade is a brewery in Tasmania that has been around since the 1820s, and they still make very good beer. Their label is a Tasmanian Tiger (believed extinct). Quite malty to the taste, so it can take me a while to get into it after I've had a more hops-rich beer, which I prefer. But their Premium Light is one of the cheaper beers that still tastes like a good full strength beer, and since we're not drinking to get drunk, it's perfect for us.

Another great Tasmanian beer is James Boag's, around since the 1850s. I love their draught. The Premium is also quite malty.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Elle, I'm a Fourex Gold gal myself - though in the 80's I loved Power's Beer (started by an ex-employee of Fourex and was described as Fourex with a drop of honey).

I've never tried either CAscade or Boag's. I do like Hahn Ice and the varous Ice beers.

Megan McConnell
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Seems like I need to come to Australia on a beer hunt! How is the microbrew scene? Is it as explosively active as it has become in the USA?

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

E
Koala
Koala
E
I like Hahn too. And Crown Lager. My hubby didn't like XXXX so I've never gotten around to trying it.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
E
Koala
Koala
E
Seems like I need to come to Australia on a beer hunt! How is the microbrew scene? Is it as explosively active as it has become in the USA?

Yes, come visit!

Microbrewing - do you mean home-made beer? There were a great many guys at work standing around chatting about their successes with home brewing, and bringing in sample bottles to swap with each other. But we also have a number of small (usually family-run) breweries brewing specialty and boutique beers.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
There are a lot of microbreweries around. In fact, next to my buildig where I work is a microbrewery beerhouse. It's very popular here in Brisbane & their beers are pretty good too.

They sell a "sampler" tray of 12 of their brews for about $10

Megan McConnell
B
Shark
Shark
B
Stella I love Stella

E
Koala
Koala
E
I used to like Stella more than I do now. I prefer Heineken if I'm in a European beer mood.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Yes, yes. The USA calls them microbreweries or brewpubs, while other countries often refer to them as family-run breweries, specialty, or boutique breweries. In the U.S., many microbrewers begin as homebrewers, and just keep expanding because their friends demand it. Before they know it, BAM! They make the big time. Does anyone have stats on how many microbreweries and/or brewpubs are in Australia? We have around 1500 in the USA currently.

Do you know Aotearoa Breweries in New Zealand? Mata Beer?

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

B
Shark
Shark
B
see im the opposite i started with heineken then switched to stella.

heineken & beef for some reason just didnt mix it gives you beer poops.

E
Koala
Koala
E
Ah yes, boutique breweries is the most common term here.

Quick hunt - this is old, from 2005, but working out this guy's estimate it sounds like they were looking at 50 boutique breweries around 2006 in Australia - gosh that sounds way too few, surely!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by elleCreatEd; 09/26/07 12:33 AM.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
It seems that Australia is poised for a microbrewy (boutique brewery)expansion! The 2nd site you list certainly is prompting homebrewers to explore their creativity.

The USA only had about 40 brewing companies in the early 1980's. It now has about 1,500. Supermarket sales of craft beer grew by 17.5 % in 2006 alone.

Even with that kind of growth, there are many macro-brews in the US that lack distinctive flavor. In fact, there are still many people who drink beer that tastes like water, and they like it. It's a matter of personal choice.

However, a large body of people have discovered flavor in beer, and these are the people who are transforming the face of beer culture throughout the world. This trend seems to be occurring in South America, China, Poland, Russia, and beyond. Certainly, Michael Jackson was instrumental as a catalyst, particularly with his work educating the world about Belgian Beer, as well as the nuances of flavor that each country had to offer.

The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.