Page 1 of 2 1 2
#334628 08/18/07 11:35 AM
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
I was wondering if anyone on the forum has tried drastically changing their diets to combat fibromyalgia? And if you did, did it help?

I have a friend who has been diagnosed with this and her diet is overall very BAD. I'm trying to convince her that eating a more healthy diet would help (it sure can't hurt) but just wondered if anyone had had success with decreasing symtoms mainly through diet.

I read some posts about improving the mental outlook too, with I also think is important no matter what health problem you might be facing-my friend suffers in that department too.

I know the bottom line is that she must decide how to proceed and if she wants to help herself but I thought if I could tell her some success stories, it might motivate her to give up the fried fast food at least!

Thanks

Sponsored Post Advertisement
I have CFS - my doctor recommended I take vitamin supplement B12 and to change my diet to a complex carb one. Don't know if it's been of any value yet, though!

Chris Willis
Horror Literature
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Chris, how long have you been on the diet? My friend, unfortunately is into quick fixes so she has a hard time giving remedies enough time to work.

I've found that most of the time it takes a good 3 months using diet and natural remedies to see much change.

Have you ever tried a Candida yeast cleansing diet? I have come across this in researching some symptoms I was having and altho my diet is very good, I can't explain the symptoms any other way so am trying to give up anything with yeast or fermented.

I mentioned it because, according to some, almost everybody with fibro has yeast overgrowth also (MS too). Of course some don't even believe that yeast overgrowth exists (like most doctors)

Still I figure it can't hurt to try some fasting, cleansing and diet improvements.

I didn't ask about the Candida treatment, but asked about detoxification in general. The doc said there's no magic bullet and people with CFS/ME and similar disorders react to different treatments. He suggested to try different things but to give each a good go and to go back before making any drastic changes. I've had a number of yeast infections but I don't know if that's because of the CFS or that I'm on and off the antibiotics because of various infections. Back to the cleansing issue: I had other tests for the liver and kidneys - all were fine. They're doing the job and my body doesn't have a cleansing problem. Ive read quite a few articles now that suggest CFS/ME sufferers get a complete bloodwork to see if there are any other issues. I had an anomaly in mine which was unexplainable: higher than average cholesterol. I'm underweight, athletic, have a very good diet, never had high cholesterol before CFS and take supplements so cholesterol should've been very low.

I've been on the diet for around 2 weeks, so nothing to report yet.

Since being diagnosed with CFS, it has been a double-edged sword: I can at least put a name to what I am going through, but it frustrates me because there's so many questions without answers. Hope this all helps in some way!

Chris Willis
Horror Literature
S
S
Hi, joanj, I have used diet and exercise to manage my fibromyalgia since 1998. Currently, my symptoms of fibromyalgia are no longer apparent. I like that using diet to control fibromyalgia since it means that I don't have to contend with the side effects of medication and that this diet also follows many of the principles of the anti-inflammatory so lowers my risk of developing arthritis, cancer, and heart disease. You caught the main drawback, it is not a quick fix. Takes time. The rewards are great like being pain free, increased energy and quality of life. Below are links to articles on the subject. If these are not of interest, please let me know and I can provide others.

One of the first things I did was to get treatment for Candida. I had a severe infection of this yeast. (I have yet to talk with someone experiencing fibromyalgia who doesn't have some type of digestive parasite.) Has your friend's doctor (health care practitioner) looked for such, i.e.: Candida, Giardia, worms, intestinal protozoa, Psuedomonas... I use a skilled practitioner in alternative medicine to treat the Candida infection.

Dietary changes are best achieved in do-able increments. I began with magnesium supplementation.
Sending many healing thoughts,
Regina

DIET HELPS FIBROMYALGIA (brief article)
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Thanks so much for the information!

I've looked into diets for Candida yeast and they seem like they'd be impossible to follow as they prohibit nearly everything, including fruit.

What kind of treatment did you get for the yeast? Was it for the digestive parasite? I've read that this is common to have with yeast overgrowth but I've also read that many dr's don't even believe in it.

What sort of practioner did you go to and how did you find them?

S
S
You asked such good questions. Ah, yes. Diets for Candida avoidance and treatment are very restrictive for sugar. Candida just love sugar. It may help to keep in mind that the diet for Candida has to be followed only for the period of time of the treatment and that it is temporary. In my case, restricting sugar and limiting fruit helps considerably since my fibro comes with chronic fatigue. Staying away from sugar and limiting fruits helps me keep my energy level up. It also prevents the regrowth of the Candida which is always present in the digestive system.

I consider Candida a digestive parasite since this yeast likes to live and overpower the digestive tract. I could not find a traditional medical practitioner in my city who helped me with my health problem. Our local health food store featured a health practitioner in their weekly newsletter who studied digestive problems. I contacted her and she identified the Candida and treated it through Metagentics: BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Wow! thanks so much for all the info. I'll do as you suggest and check out various options for alternative medicine practioners.

I have been trying detox and it seems to help. I can tell by how I feel when I've eaten something "bad." I don't have fibro but I do have a constant tingling sensation throughout my body and ringing in my ears. I've been checked out by a neurologist who ruled out any diagnosis that he can help with. I stumbled on the yeast idea through a friend who also had suffered from the same thing I have now.

I pinned it down to diet just by the way I feel after eating/drinking certain things. My diet is extremely healthy but I do eat a lot of fruit as part of a healthy diet. I could try giving up all fruit tho and see if that helps. I don't consumer much sugar other than that and haven't for some time.

Thanks again for the advice.

S
S
You're welcome. I'm glad my past experience might be of help. Your comment about pinning down diet by the way you felt after you eat certain foods, really resonated with me. I also began to notice how certain foods affected me. I was amazed to learn that foods considered healthy to most people, affected me adversely. It was then that I learned of food allergies and intolerances. In 2002 I learned that the underlying cause for the fibromyalgia was celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that prohibits the body's ability to process gluten - proteins found in wheat, rye, barley, oats and other related grains. If left untreated it destroys the lining of the digestive system. Not everyone with fibro has the celiac disease connection. It can be usually ruled out with a blood test. And not everyone with celiac disease has fibro. Isn't the human body something? My initial symptoms included irritable bowel syndrome. Took me over 15 years and seeing numerous doctors and health professionals.

Ridding the body of Candida can be difficult. In my case it took us six months using herbs but I didn't know about avoiding sugar including fruit and my alternative health professional didn't mention doing so. When the Candida started to return, I learned more about what it takes to keep it at bay. The initial die off of the yeast made me very sick, like I had the flu. I recommend the assistance of skilled health professional because Candida can be difficult to get rid of and because the detox program to rid the body of it can make a person very ill. Below are links to sites with more information or may lead you to more information.

Causes / Risk Factors of Candida Overgrowth
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Thanks so much for the info!

The Mother Nature site is a wealth of information. The article on tinnitis gave a good overview of supplements that might also help this.

I know my tinnitis gets worse if I've eaten something "bad" for me.

My personal belief is that diet is the root of many ailments and it's interesting to find that nearly every patient with MS or fibromyalgia has yeast overgrowth. I read about a woman who says she cured herself of MS by getting rid of the yeast overgrowth and severely changing her diet.

It all comes down to people being responsible for their own health and begin willing to make changes without relying on popping a pill for every condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fibro Herbs 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.