Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rabbitt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi again to all!

In addition to reading the posts here (and yes, TMC) at least once a day for the past several months, I just read �Childfree and Loving It� (it was as good as everyone here has said). I am almost done with �Maybe Baby� and had to turn on the computer to post this b/c I am having so many thoughts. I am deep in the �had kids and it is the most wonderful thing in the world blah blah blah� section, just finished the essay by the woman who has to have a drink every day to deal with being around her kids (no euphemizing for me). On one level I feel these essays are great, honest, gripping wonderfully written etc and they validate the part of me that does want kids (still �officially� confused on the issue) and thinks I will love it and it will be the most wonderful thing I was so glad I didn�t miss out on (to paraphrase my mother earlier this week� grrr). But then there is a part of me that keeps thinking: all these essays have the common thread that feels it is truly a total, complete crock, that I am being fed the same lines these folks were fed etc etc. Do I see this b/c it is what I want to see in them to validate the other half (no kids, no way, never, not in a million years and deep down I know it). I was curious as to others� reactions to this book and these essays. I was so irritated by the preachy woman declaring that with one kid she could hold onto remnants of her CF life, but at two it was officially over. I loved the essay Surprise Baby (about adopting a newborn and the one by the ex-bank robber).

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
D
That's the book I chose to help me figure out which side of the line I was really on! When reading the essays about how wonderful it is to have kids, I kept thinking, yeah, right. When reading the ones about having kids and wishing they didn't, I thought, maybe you didn't think hard enough first. It was a very validating read. It's been a while since I read it and so I don't have very specific examples to site - but for me, it was a tool to help me read my feelings and it worked.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.