logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
OP Offline
I am knitting baby items for charity,we are doing them on another forum,what are you all knitting.

Cheryl
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Hi, I'm knitting the Elizabeth Zimmermann Pi Shawl from Knitter's Almanac. Wouldn't you know I left my copy at work but fortunately I'm at a point where I don't need it right now!

J
J
Hi

Having recently started knitting again I am doing a blanket, and edging and some blanket squares from a knitting magazine...

Nothing of much interest but it's just to get me going again.

JJ x

I am currently knitting a shrug to wear for a wedding this Saturday and I'm also knitting a cabled poncho for my Mom's Christmas gift. Her poncho is turning out so soft and the cables are going really well. I love the cream color too but my big problem... it's taking me FOREVER to do it, lol.

F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
I just finished knitting a baby blanket and it is now on its way to Canada. I am thinking of having a go at crochet now.....:)

E
E
I'm making an Elizabeth Zimmerman sweater for myself (first time for me - I've made them for babies, toddlers and teens). I love the yarn I chose - a rayon/silk blend in teal/green/purple mulit (I bought it a couple of years ago and kept doing other projects first - but if memory serves me correctly it is called water lilies - and I can see why, it has the colors from Monet's painting).

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.

C.S. Lewis
K
K
I am currently knitting socks. As always, abit of a sockaholic here.
I also dabble abit in lace knitting.

I have today just bought a spinning wheel so I hope to spin, dye and knit for my socks.

Obsessed sock knitter....
As usual I am knitting socks, jumping from one pair to another.
But these are from my hand dyed yarn, so they are very special.
The yarn is soft and the colors are very cool.

NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls nor images of any kind to their posts or signature!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 02/12/13 04:06 PM.
I
I
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO KNIT SIMPLE DISH CLOTHS
IT SUPPOSE TO BE SIMPLE I CAN KNIT SIMPLE SITCH,THANKS IRENE

K
K
The dishcloths I knit are simple.
Cast on an odd number...I do 47
row 1 knit
row 2 knit 1, slip 1 across row
row 3 knit
row 4 knit 2, slip 1 across row. ( I think this ends knit 2)
knit until it's square shaped.

Obsessed sock knitter....
R
R
I am currently knitting scarves for Christmas gifts. However, I must have at least 5 other projects on the go. I also quilt and I try to divide my time between the two. Not much housework gets done around here, though.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I am currently knitting a Shetland lace shawl in cobweb weight yarn for my brother's wife's baby who is due in May. I'm having quite a lot of fun with it but the ultra fine yarn does require care and good light. Surprisingly although the lace looks complicated it's actually quite simple to knit, the pattern I am using is very clearly charted by the author and I'm having no problems at all with it. All you need to know is K2 together,Slip One, Knit One, Pass Slip Stitch Over, Yarn Forward and Slip One, Knit 2 together, Pass Slip Stitch Over! Mind you I'm still on the middle part and haven't got to the borders yet.

I've also ordered some Sublime DK to knit the gorgeous bolero that's in the December issue of Simply Knitting magazine. Not the baby one, the adult one. We don't know yet whether Baby will be a girl or boy!

Last edited by KnittingEditor; 11/26/07 01:15 PM.
E
E
I'm making these:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.

C.S. Lewis
H
Koala
Koala
H
Ah... i've made several of the Fetching! Can i offer a suggestion? If you do the picot bind off that is suggested in the instructions, the top of the fingerless mitt is very loose around the knuckles and not snug and warm. I found (and so have other knitters i know) i like a regular bind off better.

Tonight i'm working on a simple keyhole scarf. this winter i started writing quick last minute gift patterns and this is one of them. When i get 24 quick patterns written i'll try to find a publisher for a book.

H
Koala
Koala
H
I just finished a cat's cradle lace scarf in lace weight yarn tonight.

My next project, by request of some of my knitters who want to do it with my lead, is this:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
That's very pretty Hollyelise, however my Shetland shawl is going to take months and what with the new baby and my Sasha dolls yelling for warm clothes (!) I don't really have time for it just now. I was changing the Sashas into their winter sweaters last night and ran out of warm clothes (a family of 17 is a problem in that area). The babies are particularly short lol. But my 1971 brunette is cute in her white baby yarn sweater and her mittens with thumb which are moulded to her hands!

I wonder how many people have knitted Shetland lace in cobweb yarn on a London bus!

H
Koala
Koala
H
I'm sorry if i wasn't clear, Gillian... i teach knitting classes at a yarn shop here, and those are the knitters i meant, not people here at Bella. I forgot to buy the beads today though and the bead store will be closed tomorrow so i'll have to wait at least until Monday to start.

Do you use patterns for the doll clothes or do you make them up? There was a little girl in the store today who wanted knit pants for her stuffed monkey toy, so i sort of made up a pair. I didn't quite finish but i got the two legs and joined them and figured the girl's mother can finish them. Some of my other knitters want to knit dolls, and i have some patterns for those, but not so many for doll clothes. I know there is a book of knitting patterns for Barbie, but i need some more the size of the American Girl collection or something like that. Any suggestions?

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
lol no problem Hollyelise.!

It's something of a combination, I have all sorts of patterns for Sasha ranging from the Elizabeth Zimmermann Wool Gathering Issue 64 to Susanna Lewis's collections and I make up my own as well.

Hmmm it might be worth getting in touch with Jane Woodbridge, she has a huge collection of vintage and modern patterns for dolls of all sizes on sale in both leaflet and book form. I'll find out from her if she has an online shop yet, she is a member of Sasha Mart and lives in the UK. I've met her and she's a lovely lady.

H
Koala
Koala
H
Thank you! laugh

S
S
I'm into knitted toys. Completed a small teddy bear for my sister's boyfriend, and a little long-ear rabbit for my sister. I found free patterns for felted mushrooms in a blog. They look so yummy. "Eat" them here.

I shall surely make them next!!

H
Koala
Koala
H
oh wow. I loved the detail of the little notch in the one.

F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Hi. I am currently knitting a Mickey Mouse sweater for my little 3 year old grandaughter smile

L
L
I am currently working on a) Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket, b) a poncho for my niece c) a hat for my husband (from the book 'Homespun, Handknit,' d) a Coco Chanel sweater for me from 'The Purl Stitch.' There's just so much knitting, and so little time!

Shark
Shark
I'm supposed to be finishing up a pair of fingerless gloves for my daughter using this pattern: http://tinyurl.com/22z6bx

However, I've been slack. I'm 90% done but I keep putting off the last bit. Hopefully, I can talk myself into finishing them before the cold weather is gone!

Dani Sanders, Prime Time TV Ed.
Prime Time TV Website
Prime Time TV Forum
W
W
I just finished my first pair of 2 at a time socks.. Magic Loop method, 5 i-pod covers and now I am knitting a sweater for my 6 week old grand daughter Melanie.Then on to a sweater for my 4 month old grand daughter Sadie.That should keep me out of mischief for a bit.

There is no such thing as too much yarn, or too many needles!! Or too many knitting bags either.
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Socks. I'm working my way through "Knitting Vintage Socks" by Nancy Bush. Except that I'm converting the patterns for using the Magic Loop method as I dislike knitting on DP's which I find to be the equivalent of snuggling up to a hedgehog. One pair finished last night, one pair to be started tonight.

Other than that, I'm working on a gansey for my DH but I'm not quite done with the spinning stage for that yet. Another project for tonight - after the sock is started and just far enough along to be a "grab & go" project.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I'm still working on my nephew to be's Shetland shawl - he's "due" in May but not to be christened till 4 months so there's time. I've had a couple of disasters including the yarn breaking a couple of rows below the one I was knitting - after I had started the borders!! (over 800 stitches to unpick per row and it's cobweb weight waaah). Oh well I'd rather find the yarn broken BEFORE I block it...

I'm also knitting a charcoal coloured cardigan from Simply Knitting magazine and I must cast off and sew in the ends on a scarf I've been knitting for my recent Simple Scarf pattern illustration.

Adding to the UFO's I have to work the second Norwegian Mitten from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Around, and I have a Sasha doll raglan sweater to finish.

H
Koala
Koala
H
Ice Queen got finished some time ago, and now all my knitters want to make one so i'll be doing it again, hahahahaha!

I also finished a cable sweater... Dickinson Pullover in the Fall 2007 Interweave Knits issue. It is really stunning, and i'd recommend the pattern to anyone!!! I'm getting quite a lot of compliments on it. I made it out of 7 balls of Ella Rae Classic, and the yarn was perfect for this. It's a very cheap wool... the whole sweater project only cost $45.50, can you believe it? And the yarn feels soft when knit up but has just enough strength to hold up well in cables without fuzzing out. I could have spent more on yarn, but i don't think other yarn could have performed better... i was very pleased with the Ella Rae! As far as knitting time goes, the project took me about 70 hours, and i'd say i'm only slightly better than average at knitting speed, so it made the project pretty quick for the wow. It IS cable, after all, so 70 hours for a generous pullover really isn't bad. I did find the sizes run large, however. These cables are stretchy, so if you make the pattern, choose a smaller size than you think you need. I think i'll make this again some day in a different color! laugh

Since then i've done a whole bunch of little things and i'm trying to finish up a few UFO's. I'm teaching someone Fair Isle so i have a Fair Isle Hat and Mitts going simultaneously, and then i also finished the lace i was working on and started another piece of lace (a scarf in lace weight yarn). This lace is a free pattern off of the Knit Picks websight... i think it's called Candleflame and i'm doing it in the Alpaca Cloud yarn it recommends. I finished a cotton purse, too... it's pretty simple. It's in the Araucania yarns and the pattern is from one of their books. I'm wanting to teach a workshop in it this summer so i needed to knit up a sample to put in the store window.

Whew! I guess i've accomplished more than i thought i had. I really REALLY should keep a log of my projects. I have two knitting journals kicking around and i haven't written in either one of them. Anyone else like that? laugh

G
G
hello Hollyelise, I am a newbie to kniting,(free lance). I have not learned to read the patterns, and I've got a couple things going on right now. A lapghan, a 60's poncho with a hood, and my experiment with knitting in the round. where would you link me too? "been on Knittinghelp.com ------ my mind is telling me that I want to learn everything "NOW".
GG-MOM
SANDRA
RICHMOND, VA-----------P.S. ARE THERE ANY VIRGINIANS IN HERE?

MATTIE H621
bmadison0919@clearwire.net
H
Koala
Koala
H
KnittingHelp.com is where i most often recommend, because they have those podcast tutorials and the most complete reference to terms. If you have particular questions, i'd be glad to answer or link you to the answer.

Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to "learn to read patterns" like you'd learn to read a language like Spanish... everyone learns pattern terms and pattern-writing-styles as they go and as they need them for their projects... or you're just not likely to remember them. I've knit long enough and seen so many different styles, i know a lot of the obscure terms and facts, like why a yo and a yf are really the same thing, but one is notated by continental knitters and the other by British style knitters... and it only took me 20 years to figure it out! LOL. laugh

There are so many different kinds of knitting, that even most experienced knitters are specialized. They might know cable knitting very well, for instance, but not know lace knitting and color work. I would just try to learn what you would most like to do, and not try to learn stuff that you don't like as much. If the sky's the limit, what would you like to be knitting? Because you'll be surprised how much you can advance your skills in a year, if you just knit a little bit every evening! If you linc to me a picture of a pattern you think is really great, maybe i can get you started in the right direction.

Gecko
Gecko
I have decided to reactivate this post in the hopes it will spur me on to finish some items. I am currently working on:

1. One pair of Earl Grey socks, pattern by Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee
2. One pair of basic socks, pattern by Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee
3. One scarf using a lace pattern from Barbara Walker
4. One woman's sweater (pattern unknown-which may be why it will be hard to finish.
5. One man's sweater exlarge (which is why it is taking so long)
6. One baby hat using left over Fixation yarn pattern came with purchase.
7. One Alice Staremore Fair Isle vest (might be too small, but I'm working on the edging and live in hope that blocking will make it all work out!)

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
N
N

1. a 6 mo. size sweater set in white
2. a knitted bag, pattern from the antiquepattern site (1919). The instructions are slightly odd, but understandable.
3. a dishcloth for when all else is too much.

I'm still lusting over a knitted shawl pattern and a sweater pattern but need to save up for special yarn for those, not to mention new circular needles. *drool*

*hugs*
NancyR.

R
R
hi
i am new here
first post here
looks like i am in good company
i cant tell how many things i have started
and i have to finish by october so i can donate them to the church for their bazaar
rifka

Gecko
Gecko
Welcome, I'm glad you decided to join us, keep us posted on how things are going. Are you working on any one project you are really enjoying?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Gecko
Gecko
I checked out the antique pattern site -- very nice patterns there. Enjoy and thanks for dropping in smile

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
A gansey of handspun Jacklandic wool for my DH.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
Good to see a knitting thread. I love knitting.

I am knitting a scarf this week. Later planning to knit a table cloth.

Last edited by Jeanne Daigle; 01/03/09 01:21 PM.
J
J
I just can't knit one thing at a time (sort of goes along with not being able to knit with one YARN at a time). I think I must have knitting attention deficit disorder). ANYWAYS, at the moment I am knitting a Moroccan-inspired cardigan and another new design for fall based on autumn woods. Meanwhile, I'm craving to work on some stash yarn I brought back from Stitches West. Think heaps of glossy golds and teak hues.

Glad to see, Marge, that you seem to have the same problem!

JaneBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Gecko
Gecko
Uh oh, this weekend I cleaned out and consolidated two closets that have gotten out of control and I found a few more UFO's (unfinished objects) one is a blanket - hard to lose, but I did smile and one felted glove.

The big plan is to move my yarn to one place that is accessible, but won't get attacked by moths or light. Right now it is in clear plastic bins in the attic, hat boxes through out the house, knitting bags - to grab and go when I head out the door, in a basket by the couch, in another basket next to that basket...

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I'm going to be starting a pair of socks later this week.
I always like to have some socks going as it's a quick "grab and go" project.

Gecko
Gecko
I mistakenly took a lace scarf with me last night to my book group I've spent the morning ripping!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Gecko
Gecko
I happened to find thisBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Gecko
Gecko
Oh my word, how fun! I'll see if my son or nephew wants one. Thanks for the link.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
C
C
Originally Posted By: Marge_Knitting
The big plan is to move my yarn to one place that is accessible, but won't get attacked by moths or light. Right now it is in clear plastic bins in the attic, hat boxes through out the house, knitting bags - to grab and go when I head out the door, in a basket by the couch, in another basket next to that basket...

I picked up a big picnic basket cheap a couple of weeks ago--it's the size of a 20-qt cooler. Nice wicker exterior. Over the past few days I put my UFOs and the materials to finish them into pint, quart, or gallon ziplocs or Walmart bags with the handles loosely tied and tossed them in. Keeps them out of sight but handy, not to mention dust/moth/cat free! And I've managed to finish 2 of the smaller projects in the past 2 days (restringing a broken pearl neclace and making a knitter's rowcounter abacus type bracelet).

Last edited by CountryKitty; 07/10/08 07:48 AM.
Gecko
Gecko
I think having them handy really helps. It is nice to know I'm not the only one with a lot of UFO's.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
J
J
I've always loved the Feather and Fan stitch, thinking it like poetry in stitches. This summer I've been experimenting with shaping with the stitch and am knitting a shrug with a wrap extension which I'm kind of loving. The colors are a ripening meld of berry colors like raspberry merging into blueberry with deep purple -- very autumn.

Gecko
Gecko
I would love to see a picture if you have the time and desire.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Gecko
Gecko
I just finished this

I started in 1996, but have successfully completed it and it fits smile

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 07/21/08 02:14 PM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Very nice, Marge
My friend is knitting baby bonnets, mittens, and blankets for the homeless shelters
She knits them all summer long so the little ones will have them when the colder weather gets here

Rosie L
Gecko
Gecko
Wow, that is ambitious and very helpful. Is she doing this on her own or is she part of a group?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
On her own, she truly enjoys doing this.

Rosie L
R
R
Never. Whoever leaves the most wins. I always have a project in a bunch of bags, all the things I will need and ready to go, so many hours waiting everywhere, the only place I have not knitted is in the grocery store, I read about some people afraid of knitting in the car, they might get a knitting needle where they don't want, and that is true, a friend of mine liked to knit while driving ,at every light etc, one day she had to brake fast and she had a needle in her nose, after that she at least stopped. lolol I knit in the car but hubby drives.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I am so proud of myself. Last night I finished my first baby cap and learned several things in the process, including how to use double pointed needles. The matching sweater panels are complete, just need to be joined. My husband's co-worker is expecting his first child this month, so I have to hurry. We have a grandchild due in January and a friend's 1st child due in November, so I'll be knitting up a storm.
But I have to get back to my scrap afghan for the VA Hospital before I start any more baby projects. I only have 8 more squares to knit and then I can start joining. It's a pueblo step design in turquoise, black, tan and white. The finishing touch will be an eagle feather embroidered in the center white square. I'm hoping to have enough time to complete a lap afghan for a wheelchair, so I'll have 2 to donate before Christmas.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Gecko
Gecko
Sounds like you are quite productive. I just finished a hat, and a vest (the vest was started 12 years ago.) I started a blanket for an old babysitter of my children who is now having a baby of her own. Ah the joys of summer!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
K
K
I just finished a baby ripple afghan, now I have some counted cross stitch to finish and the next thing I knit is a tree of life afghan.

Gecko
Gecko
They sound lovely, and definitely will keep you busy.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
D
D
I'm knitting a log cabin afghan in bright colors for my 16 year old. She will be leaving for college in a year and a half, and I want her to have it long enough for it to be snuggly when she takes it to her dorm room.

Gecko
Gecko
Collective consciousness, I'm starting an afghan for my daughter who will be going away next September also...Haven't picked a pattern yet.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I've got two scarves going right now -- both almost finished. Both done on Knifty Knitter looms.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
Gecko
Gecko
Are they for you or gifts? I have two scarves started, one a gift and one for me. This weekend is my annual knitting retreat with my knitting guild, so I hope to get a handle on a lot of UFO's.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Have a Great Time at your retreat, and return with a bunch of good post material for us "Needle Newbies."

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
Gecko
So now I'm working on an article about knitting nirvana a/k/a knitting retreats and I'm knitting a pink shrug, and a sock to finish a pair for my husband (size 12 feet it may be awhile).

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Gecko
Gecko
Im knitting a Christmas Stocking. Never made one and our library had a giant box of donations and I picked this one. (great find for $1.00) It is a Bernat kit with yarn and instructions for either a knit or croched version. I picked knit. I am not doing the graph parts for name or snowman. As simple as this might sound the instruction are not so clear so I am basically eyeballing it till I get to the part for the heel. Should be done for Christmas 2009 laugh

Last edited by rdywenur; 01/01/09 12:01 PM.
Here's a simple one that I use.

Cast on 40 (use a cotton yarn)
R1 k4 p4 repeat across
R2 rep. row 1
R3 p4 k4 repeat across
R4 rep. row 3

Continue this way until square, bind off.
This makes a kind of scrubbie cloth

I'm knitting a, well, I'll call it a shoulder cape. I started spinning in October, so this is my first project with my own hand spun yarn. I've been knitting for 40+ years, so it's my own design.

W
W
I am finishing a scarf for my grand daughter and I have a pair of mittens started .. for me and then another scarf for another grand daughter. Then it is time for socks!!!

There is no such thing as too much yarn, or too many needles!! Or too many knitting bags either.
P
P
I am knitting a prayer shawl for my ex-sister-in-law
She just found out in Dec. she has breast cancer
I am making it in teal blue
I don't think she likes pink pinkrosessks

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We've got 3 projects for the New Year. Our local hospital has requested downsized, homemade receiving blankets for the babies that don't make it home. I refer to them as "Angel" blankets. In 3 weeks the OB ward received 20 of them. Based on this response, the main hospital wants to be included as well. They had been purchasing them. According to a volunteer they will need 4 to 5 each month for both hospitals. the babies are photographed and the blankets are placed in memory boxes for the parents. I'm sure some will think this to be morbid. However, if I can help, in even the smallest way, someone who has experienced such a loss, count me in.

Our 2nd project is lap afghans for the VA hospital

And my 3rd is 100 scarves for the Indian School in MT. I've got 4 completed already.

Somewhere in all this I've got 3 wraps to make for Christmas. I'll be knitting away in 09 and loving every minute.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
Gecko
I recently was in the in the UK and found Harry Potter sock yarn, Harry Potter and was wondering if anyone else has used this and if they have a pattern they recommend?
Thanks

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Gecko
Gecko
Oh oh Im stuck at the heel. My stocking says to take a new color and to start on the stiches that I had to put on to dp needles and now must work. Not sure how to do that. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Gecko
Gecko
Hello, each sock pattern is a bit different and I'd need more information to help, but maybe this site will help in the meantime, Knitter's Review

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't just include more of the instructions and where you are exactly. Thanks.

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 01/13/09 12:04 AM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Gecko
Gecko
Great site. I'm going to bookmark that one but it doesn't seem to have what I need to help me (or I missed it)

Continue to work in stockinette st on 32 sts of instep until 30 rows have been completed, ending with a P row. SI these 32 sts onto a holder. SI 16 sts of each side of heel onto one dp needle so that outer edges of stocking are joined at center of heel. HEEL: With right side facing you, join Color C and work in stockinette st on 32 sts for 13 rows, ending with a K row. TURN HEEL: P 18, P 2 tog, P 1, turn; sM, K 5, si 1, K 1, psso, K 1, turn; si 1, P 6, P 2 tog, P 1, turn; si 1, K 7, si 1, K 1, psso, K 1, turn; si 1, P 8, P 2 tog, P 1, turn. Continue in this manner to work

I am at the point where it says Heel and to join with color C. Since its a differnet color to knit in how do I join this new color. What is the correct way to join or change a color. Do you just pick up a new color and start to knit.

I am making this stocking but not adding the image or the name. The image is too dorky for my taste. Maybe I'll embellish or add something in when complete.

Last edited by rdywenur; 01/14/09 03:31 AM.
Gecko
Gecko
It appears to me that there are more and better knitters in the UK and Euro. Why do you think that is. I'm thinking Irish knits, Scandinavian and remember my little sweaters (from photos) my mom made me with pretty snowflakes knitted in them. They always seem to be knitting such great things.

Gecko
Gecko
I can't really say, but it seems to me that in America we have a lot of knitters so maybe the "greats" are lost in the quantity? I look at Wendy's Knits and the Heirloom knits (such great lace work) and think it is now more global...

What does everyone else think?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Oh Marge, I do agree. We've got some real talent on this side of the pond. This past October, while visiting with my Mother-in-law (one of those real talents) we visited a yarn shop. The proprietors had some of their handiwork on display.

There was this one hat in particular. My Mother-in-law immediately inquired about the instructions, I was completely blown away with the intricant pattern. It appeared to be knitted in 5 or 7 panels. However, the shopkeeper assured us it was knitted in one piece. She had witnessed the work in progress.

The times have changed, and I think the pace of our daily lives is different from that in Europe. Here I am at 47, just learning the continental style of knitting. My Mother-in-law mastered this as a child. Her Mother was an immigrant from Europe. Part of my family has been here for over 200 years, the other part, much, much longer. My Mother is Native American. So culture may play a part in this as well.

Even though a "needle newbie" I'm thrilled so many are returning to "home-made", so these arts will not be lost. The States has great knitters, they just haven't been widely recognized for a long time. Hopefully, the times will change, again, and rectify this.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
E
E
I have arthritis i my rt. shoulder so have done little knitting in the past year but the recent cold snap encouraged me to get the very thick lightweight multicoloured wool and v. lightweight thick needles to make a hat -- think of an inverted T shape where the crossbar runs round the face, the stem iis the body of the hat, shaped by decreasings to curve into the crown, knitted in garter stitch to emphasize the colour changes and grafted to make it reversible!
graft/gather in centre
-------- ---- ------ ------
---------- ----- ----------decreases
-------------------------- I
-------------------------- I - 4 - 6 inches for head
--------------------------------------2 - 3 inches for strap
--------------------------------------2 rows finer needles
-----------cast on---------------------
If fine needles are difficult, you can crochet round the face to make it fit firmly, and continue around the rest for decoration/finish!
Face up to the cold! Ednamay

E
E
PS I worked with my forearm and elbow propped on a soft cushion!!!! Ednamay

The diagram should have been centred - computers are dimwits!!!

Gecko
Gecko
Yes, normally, you would just start knitting with the new color and then weave in the end later. Do you have Vogue Knitting-Ultimate knitting book or Knitting in Plain English they have great explanations and pictures. This is described really well here (treat the new color like a new ball of yarn) Joining a Color and here Stripes also.

As I develop the BellaOnline Site I hope to have my own tutorials and way more pictures, but for now I will keep finding quality links for you.

Good luck

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 01/20/09 06:39 PM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
R
R
I am knitting baby sweaters for gifts. I know of 7 babies on the way! One needs to go to the Azores. I just love making baby stuff. So far, I have 2 sweaters done, half of a blanket, and after that ready to start another sweater. Whew!

Gecko
Gecko
How fun for you...my favorite thing about baby sweaters is you can try new things with them since they are small.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
I am currently knitting Sweater with flower motive. :))

Gecko
Gecko
Can you post a picture? Switch to Full Reply Screen. This goes for everyone. I'd love to see what you are knitting.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
D
D
Hi - I am trying to knit a baby afghan and have restarted it 4 times now...there is a part in the directions that I think I am misinterpreting - can anyone help me? thank you

D
D
What does this mean (Repeat of 11 plus 13)? The whole sentence is this; Loosely cast on 145 sts. Begin pattern stitch. (Repeat of 11 plus 13). Then it says to knit rows 1,2 & 3 and then row 4 is a specific pattern - then repeat 1,2 & 3 then the pattern....I have restarted this 4 times now and I think the portion of the instructions in parenthesis is something I need to do, but I have no clue -- can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you so much... :-)

Gecko
Gecko
A repeat of 11 means, there are 11, 11, 11, and so on plus 13 other stitches. So 132 stitches of your cast on are 11 stitches repeated 12 times plus 13 extra stitches.

What is the pattern stitch?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm knitting "Blankets for Babies," for our local hospital. Pink ones and blue ones, using the "dishrag" method with Sugar & Creme 100% cotton that can be thrown in the washer and dryer. I like the "Angel Blanket" concept, downsized for the parents. That's a cool idea. I'll ask our hospital if they would like something like this. As a scrapbooker, I can see putting one of these on the page with the picture.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Another way to knit a dishcloth with a border is to cast on 4 stiches. At the beginning of each row you knit 2, increase 1, and knit to end. When you get a triangle the size of half your cloth, usually about 40 stitches on the needle, you begin to decrease. At the beginning of each row, k 2, yard over and knit 2 together, knit 2 together without yarn over, and then knit to end. When you get to 4 stitches on the needle, bind off. This is my favorite pattern and the one I make my baby blankets with. I just keep increasing until the blanket is 30 or 36 inches across andn then decrease each row. This makes a wonderful eyelet border. I use either Peaches & Creme or Sugar & Cream because it's 100% cotton. I love my dishcloths. They dry so fast, so they don't get that sour smell. b.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I'm making great progress on my scarves for the Indian School. Now that I have over 30 done, I'm taking a bit more time and learning new stitches. I failed at simple ribbing a few times, until I tried it again while watching suspense movies with my husband one evening. I have to thank Al Pacino. I got the rib stitch "programmed" into my brain and fingers during 2 of his movies. I have 3 scarves completed in this stitch. So I'm onto waffle stitch and will attempt cluster rib next. However, this time I'll be prepared with a few movie rentals.

I lucked up in finding several new hats at thrift stores. I had coordinating yarn to make matching scarves, and some of the hats I embellished with pompoms or trim. I've also knitted a few hats with the new set of Boyle interchangeable needles I found at Salvation Army. I have had no problems with them and love the extended taper on the tips. The connection is real smooth, even when using the specialty yarns.

I lucked up again with 2 "buy-out" stores having some of the specialty yarns for only $1. I came home with bags of that! I'm having a great time designing the hats and scarves so that each set will be unique. By the time I finish up with 100 scarves and hopefully 100 matching hats, I can move past the "needle newbie" level to "beginner."

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.