Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I just got through reading Chris' article Horror Literature v The Movie

His teaser tag says "Which is better: a horror movie or a horror novel? Why does literature have more of an after effect than a film and are the characters and plots woven better in the written word?"

I think the reason lit has a longer effect than movies is because it is our own imagination supplying the "visuals" to go along with the action - instead of someone else's idea of what we should be seeing.

I always think of Stephen King's "IT". That was the first (and only) book I have ever read that I had to actually put down for a couple of ays because it disturbed me and gave me honest to goodness nightmares. (OK, since then the movie "Event Horizon" but we won't go there).

But it was because the monster in that book was too horrible for description. It was described as sometimes an evil clown, sometimes a spider-like thing, and sometimes something they couldn't fathom. That just freaked me out - cause my brain kept coming up with these horrific monsters that I think I have blocked out of my concious mind.

Then the mini-series comes along and the clown is played by Tim Curry (although I do love him, especially his voice) and the spider creature was just silly. It ruined it for me. And then the courage displayed by the kids didn't seem anywhere near as convincing on screen as it seemed in my mind.

But I think that's what goes wrong in all books-turned-movie, the producers can't compete with our own imaginations. And if they can, then we need to work on our imaginations!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Well written

Ciara Sampaio, Southeast Asia Editor
[url=HTTP://SOUTHEASTASIA.BELLAONLINE.COM/SITE.ASP]Southeast Asia Travel Site[/url]
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I think within literature, you delve inside a characters head more and get into their emotions - and horror is an extreme emotion, so you get a lot more feeling. If someone paints the picture for me, it's not the same as if I paint it for myself with words.

Movies are good for short, sharp stories though. I like movies with hurt/pain horror like Texas Chainsaw but you don't get into the characters much, although I really liked the Sheriff from the TC movies! I suppose they can only show so much, can't they, otherwise it'd take the focus on what they are trying to show us.

Chris Willis
Horror Literature

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.