logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#331122 07/25/07 09:49 PM
OP Offline
This is something that may be not okay to talk about, but bear with me.

I'm 20-years-old and from the time I was about 13, I've had scars on my chest, shoulders and back that have really come close to ruining my life. They've kept me from prom, wearing anything other than longsleeve shirts, wearing bridesmaid dresses, even from the sports that I love (diving and running) because of the uniforms.

They aren't too bad, it isn't like my skin looks like ground-up hamburger meat or anything, but of course when you have a problem it's about 10x worse to you than anyone else.

There aren't a whole lot of them, just enough to make me uncomfortable showing my body at all. I can't have sex without wearing a shirt no matter how comfortable I am with the other person, because even I can't look at my body when it's not covered.

I've tried benzoyl topical creams, cocoa butter, Neosporin, Bio-Oil, and Mederma, but they're still there. Concealer doesn't help because they're pock scars and neither does even spray tanning, because that just makes the skin around them darker.

Obviously these are from pimples, but I'm a very clean person. When I was a kid I was on anti-depressants that just ruined my skin and apparently scrubbing at them with bar soap wasn't a bright idea because of all the bacteria harbored there and the friction from trying to heal them.

My life could be so much better if I could look at myself without thinking: "Ew"

Does anyone have this problem? Is there anything I can do?

currently reading: The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana , Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Sponsored Post Advertisement
OP Offline
I should have noted, some of them are as large as my thumbnail. They aren't itty-bitty.

currently reading: The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana , Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
M
M
Have you tried putting a lightening cream on them like porcelana or I think Acne Free has a product to lighten acne scars. You may want to see a dermatologist, maybe you could get laser treatments?

H
Koala
Koala
H
dear magic,

I can't say as i know how you feel, but i have had a boyfriend who had much worse scarring than you have. He had been burned in a fire when he was young, and only given a 5% chance to live. The scars are very bad, and he always wears long sleeved shirts, even in summer.

When you described how you feel... and not going to the prom... i thought of this. Though he's a strong man, he also didn't want me or anyone to see his body, and it was hard for him the first time to show me. It was not the big deal that he feared. Once i saw and he knew he could be accepted as he is, it helped him. Once it was familiar to me, it didn't matter. And when you really care about someone, you love them for who they really are, not for what they appear to be.

It takes courage to let others see you as you are... whether the issue is physical scarring or some other vulnerability. It also takes love to accept yourself as you are and be okay with it. To give yourself less, is giving yourself only conditional love. Wouldn't you like to love yourself better? To heal your emotional scarring... you learn to love and appreciate yourself as you are, and not be afraid to see yourself. The feelings you are having won't go away while you hide. They'll go away, as you take back the life and confidence you are entitled to have. You deserved to go to your prom as much as anyone else, and you deserve a person to love you as you are. Anyone worth your friendship or love, will not turn away. The people who do, don't matter. So much the better that you can sort them out easily. And i have the feeling your scars look far worse to you, than they will to most other people.

You may also wish to seek a dermatologist's advice for your skin. It sounds like you have been trying to treat yourself, and you recognize that in the past you've made some mistakes. Why not go to someone who has trained particularly for treating skin? There are medical options for diminishing scars, but you should get professional advice for this.

Good luck.

G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
When you described how you feel... and not going to the prom... i thought of this. Though he's a strong man, he also didn't want me or anyone to see his body, and it was hard for him the first time to show me. It was not the big deal that he feared. Once i saw and he knew he could be accepted as he is, it helped him. Once it was familiar to me, it didn't matter. And when you really care about someone, you love them for who they really are, not for what they appear to be.

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.