logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#330434 07/23/07 07:41 AM
OP Offline
It's a play on words, isn't it, but what do you think makes a good psychopath and why? Personally, my favourite is Jason Voorhees from Friday 13th. Through 11 movies, he's said nothing. Not a single quote. Silence is golden ... and deadly!

Chris Willis
Horror Literature
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
For me, it's the ones with great intelligence and no moral compass. The Machiavallien, results jutify anything. A lot of John Saul's characters fall into this category, and quite a few of Dean Koontz's. But probably the very first to really be an example of this would be Dr. Frankenstein.

(Oh, BTW - welcome Chris!)

Last edited by BellaHarmony; 07/23/07 06:43 PM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
Probably someone who seems normal. Hannibal Lecter comes to mind.

OP Offline
I seem normal ... kinda.

And I've worked out how to add my picture!

I have to wonder if Dr Frankenstein was a psychopath. His moral compass was influenced by his striving to achieve. Abnormal, yes (and hey: what is normal!?!?) but psychopath - I'd argue that one!

Lecter is a fantastic character and plagues the reader with its base animal and intellectual animal of psychopathology.

If a psychopath is considered as one who has no value for human life, then would characters such as Dracula be considered a psychopath, do you think?! I'd expect the classic argument for this post would be Robert Bloch's 'Psycho' in literature.

Chris Willis
Horror Literature
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I guess it depends on whose version of "Frankenstein" you believe - the Dr's or the monster's?

Maybe psychopath is a little strong, possibly sociopath?

Lecter definitely qualifies!

Dracula, hmmm, since he is technically no longer human - and has not been for some time, do we get to hold him to the same criteria? (Boy, we could start a whole new theological discussion on this one!)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I'm looking back over this thread, and it just occurred to me... it's a lot easier to think of good (ahem) psychopaths in horror films than it is in horror lit. Jason, Freddie, Lecter (yeah, I know there were books, but everyone knows the films better) - all screen psychos.

Books seem to explain the reasons behind why bad guys are the way they are, so maybe they don't seem as much like psychopaths. I'm sure Clive Barker has a couple, at least in his short stories...

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
OP Offline
I concur. Clive Barker's 'Pinhead' springs to mind.

Perhaps the classical psychopath needs edifying in horror literature. Lecter certainly fits the profile, but what of reality? People like Ted Bundy, Jack the Ripper, the Unabomer. Is horror literature bored with the psychopath, opting for the more sinister, supernatural explanation of human reasoning? Perhaps in our cultural environment with middle eastern conflict, terror and terrorism is over-riding the horror reaction to a psychopath. That's what horror is ultimately: a reaction; an emotion (oh! oh! I sense an article developing here).

Chris Willis
Horror Literature
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
People who look empty like Michael Myers. The original actor played him so well. I was not scared while watching Halloween but that character scared me. No emotions whatsoever. Moving almost like a robot.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.