Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
I came across this quote by Rose Kennedy - the mother of JFK.

It rings bells for me, but I wondered what others think of it?

Here is the quote:

"It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone."
Rose Kennedy
US wife of Joseph Patrick Kennedy Sr. (1890 - 1995)

AF.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Shark
Shark
B
very true, i don't think time heals all wounds, i think our ability to deal with the wound changes. It's all about gaining a perspective taking what you can from the pain & moving on!

GREAT QUOTE!!

P
Shark
Shark
P
I agree with this. Time never heals.

N
Shark
Shark
N
Excellent quote and from someone who should know! Time eases pain and can allows us to deal with its causes if we choose to, but it can also fester and turn our pain into an infected wound.

P
Shark
Shark
P
Yes. A wound that never heals.

H
Koala
Koala
H
I don't think this is helpful.

Most people presently have some wounds that are not at present, healed, so of course we could easily assume this. But that doesn't mean these wounds can't be healed in the future and surely a large factor in whether they will ever heal well or not is whether or not you believe it possible!!! If you believe the quote above, you are closing off that possibility.

If you think it impossible to heal your wounds, then consider people like Oprah Winfrey... who is not only hugely successful but is also happy. Some people, like her, refuse to to set limitations like the quote above, and refuse to say how far they can go because of their wounds. Consider these words by Oprah:

"Whatever you focus on, increases!"

That includes wounds and victimization. If you focus on your wound it will be there to the degree you dwell on that pain. She chose instead to find value in what her wound could allow her to do [for Oprah, it was sexual molestation and rape, and the death of an unborn child caused by that rape at age 13]. What did she use it for? She used it to teach her compassion for others and drive her to help them, but particularly young women.

It isn't necessarily easy to heal deep wounds but it is definitely possible, for i have seen examples of people who have done it. Sometimes we know people who have such wounds but we don't know they have healed them because there are no outward signs any more of the wounds.

I urge you, even though the quote above is tempting, to not give it weight, because it is not helpful to you. I would not wish for any of you to keep your wounds on the belief they will not heal.

A
Shark
Shark
A
Well said Holly. Even scar tissue disappears after time - speaking physiologically.

Kerryanne.

P
Shark
Shark
P
Originally Posted By: hollyelise
I don't think this is helpful.

Most people presently have some wounds that are not at present, healed, so of course we could easily assume this. But that doesn't mean these wounds can't be healed in the future and surely a large factor in whether they will ever heal well or not is whether or not you believe it possible!!! If you believe the quote above, you are closing off that possibility.

If you think it impossible to heal your wounds, then consider people like Oprah Winfrey... who is not only hugely successful but is also happy. Some people, like her, refuse to to set limitations like the quote above, and refuse to say how far they can go because of their wounds. Consider these words by Oprah:

"Whatever you focus on, increases!"

That includes wounds and victimization. If you focus on your wound it will be there to the degree you dwell on that pain. She chose instead to find value in what her wound could allow her to do [for Oprah, it was sexual molestation and rape, and the death of an unborn child caused by that rape at age 13]. What did she use it for? She used it to teach her compassion for others and drive her to help them, but particularly young women.

It isn't necessarily easy to heal deep wounds but it is definitely possible, for i have seen examples of people who have done it. Sometimes we know people who have such wounds but we don't know they have healed them because there are no outward signs any more of the wounds.

I urge you, even though the quote above is tempting, to not give it weight, because it is not helpful to you. I would not wish for any of you to keep your wounds on the belief they will not heal.

Holly, you have put a new light on the subject. Thanks.

A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
Originally Posted By: anndidetal
Well said Holly. Even scar tissue disappears after time - speaking physiologically.

I'm not so sure about that. I'd have to disagree on the 'scar' bit! My grand-dad had a scar from a war wound, and you could still clearly see it when he died at 90. Also, he never really got over the horrors he saw and experienced. I still have scars from boils that are faded, but not gone after 30 years!

I think it is true that 'time' doesn't heal. It is the treatment we receive which heals. If it is emotional damage, then the healing surely depends on how soon we get help, and the quality of that help as well as our own attitude.

Some things you never really 'get over'. I don't know that this means you haven't healed though. It depends on what our definition is of healing. You don't get over the loss of a child. That hurt remains for life in those I know who have experienced it. Also, you never really get over a murder/suicide in your family. (My cousin shot his girlfriend, then shot himself) You do learn to cope, and to accept, and to get on with life though. Is that the same as being healed?

I suppose it depends on what has happened in your life. I have a family member who will never heal from being shaken as a child, because she has brain damage. That's never going to change.

I think it's great to be optimistic, but I think we have to be realistic too, and not all cases are the same and won't necessarily respond the same.

Perhaps it is more a case of changing what we can?

AF.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Robbins speaks about channels in brain. If they are not used to recollect something, it disappears over time.

Both sides are right. Wounds do not heal.
But we can surely reduce the pain.
All easier said then done. Takes lot of determination.

But yes, it becomes easy if we get something else to work upon passionately. Then the past may suddenly begin looking very insignificant.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.