Print Thread
#328620 07/14/07 12:14 AM
A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
Friends,

What is it that causes a person to remember only the negative things about someone to the exclusion of the good things?

Being told that the only things a person talked about was their illness, pain, and traumatic experiences when in fact they often talked about happy things and positive things.

For example: when asked, "But what about all the happy experiences?" they reply:

"Frankly, I don't remember ANY!"

Is this some kind of mental illness when people focus only on the bad?

I have just lost another friend, who has told me she is sick and tired of hearing negative stuff from me, when this is not true. I have shared many fun experiences with this person, and I don't understand why she would say this.

It is true that I have confided in her about my grief over my marriage, and other things which I did not feel able to talk about with others, but I was there to support HER when she was going through a nasty divorce in 2002.

I feel so hurt by this and am trying to understand.

AF

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Wolf
Wolf
AF,

That is human nature. We always remember negatives more than positives.
But I believe that your friend broke the friendship for many reasons inc. her own problems.

A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
CD - thanks for your wise words, and, you are right!

I do believe that this friend has lots of problems. She couldn't handle mine as well.

I also need to be more cautious when trusting people with personal details. When someone is in pain, there are some people who simply don't want to know.

Thanks again for your help.

AF.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Yes. It is true that negatives are always remembered.

A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
Wouldn't it be nice is people remembered the positive as well!

I don't seem to have trouble doing this, but others certainly do. Perhaps it is easier to remember the bad. That way, people don't have to feel guilty when they hurt you.

AF.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Nice people are also remembered. But remembering wrongs gives joy to many. They feel good by putting someone down.

N
Shark
Shark
N
It's a matter of accountability, or more precisely, the avoidance of it. By putting someone else down, they avoid looking at themselves. I was taught in one of my psychology classes that it takes a minimum of 10 positives to make up for 1 negative. It's just the way our brains work.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Yes.

A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
That is so true. Some people cannot accept responsibility for their actions, and it is easier to blame someone else.

I have experiened this too, and it hurts, but I keep telling myself that people who continually look for faults in others are really insecure, unhappy individuals. I'll bet they kick their dogs too!

AF

Last edited by affettuoso; 07/22/07 01:30 AM.
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
No it is not a mental illness when people only focus on the negative things! You try having a life full of pain, stress and disappointments then see how easy it is then to focus on the positives if you are lucky enough to actually have some in that pile of (its a 4 letter word that starts with s that is censored here - even the 4 letter word that starts with c meaning the same thing is censored here) that is your life! I was able to do it when younger but when you are about to turn forty years old and your life is getting worst by the day it is impossible! And I cannot speak for everyone who are like that but for me I never have punished anyone for this, the only person I have hurt is myself!

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.