Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#328498 07/13/07 10:00 AM
A
adz Offline OP
OP Offline
A
hi, i work for a very reputable special needs company. i design and make learning equipment for children with special needs. This may sound cheaky, but can anyone think of something that is missing?? have you ever thought 'why dont they make...' or 'if it only did that'
At the moment, i'm working on some new tactile equipment - touchy feely items. where colour, noise and sounds matter.

anything??

thanks

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
I have a love hate relationship with interactive learning toys. My children love them and I hate them, mostly because so many of them come without adequate volume controls.

S
S
I would love to see interactive toys that do more to teach concepts, especially math concepts.

I had one son in Montessori for a while and loved the numeracy toys they used there to physically explain what it means to have 10 of something, 100, 1000, etc. They had several versions, some that enhanced measurement as well as counting - eg. cups that measured content, sticks that you could match, etc.

I asked where they got them from, but no one seemed to know. Some had to be adapted for physical disabilities, like cerebral palsy, i.e. made of softer material so that they couldn't hurt themselves or others, and more rigid or stable containers that wouldn't fly off the table.

I haven't been able to come across anything like it yet. Overall, I loved the Montessori approach to learning materials, but just haven't found a source.

When I do find it, I'd like to offer in on my site as well. So...
I'd love to know if you know!

Ciao
Anna

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.... John Lennon

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
S
S
Hi Lynn. I agree with you on the volume issue.

One quasi-solution that my husband came up with is to tape over the speakers with regular invisible tape. That usually helps muffle the sound sufficiently.

I also love the toys that turn themselves off - without making loud announcements of doing so!

Anna

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.... John Lennon

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
A
adz Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for your replies, i'll look into the concept idea above, and try and come up with a few things, ill post them on here to see what you think. maybe sometime though. i'm working on an alternative to bulky heavy tactile boards. As to the volume problem - its not really my department but i can put forward suggestions.

thanks

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
It would be great to have characters that reflected the diversity of inclusive groups, like a blond haired boy with those beautiful tilted eyes, a basketball playing girl using a sport wheelchair, instead of just animals or space creatures.

Toys from different cultures seem to address learning and development from interesting perspectives. Rewarding divergent thinking rather than having children 'color inside the lines' all the time makes creativity and the process of creating its own fine goal.

I also like real tools, household items and nature to be represented realistically in toys and games. Being immersed in learning rather than having it offered in bits and pieces makes science seem like a simple observation of natural events, and math something practical and useful for *right now*.

My son would like cards that showed kids what happens if you make pizza in a different series than his speech therapist scored as correct - he wanted to put the cards in order according to how performing bakers made ours in a local restaurant, with several steps that were not shown in the therapist's card set. She was angry about him at the IEP meeting, and when I asked him to cooperate with her the next day he looked at me with horror and said, "but she makes bad pizza!"

For hearing impaired kids, and those with sensory / perception problems instead of noise and sounds, vibration and light?

My son would like an iPod that also did quick blood sugar tests - or rather, that his diabetes meter played iTunes.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Inclusive Education and the Culture of Down Syndrome
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
A
adz Offline OP
OP Offline
A
thanks again for your posts.

i'm more wanting thoughts on special needs equipiment than every day toys. i want to cater for all disabilities. what works?? what doesnt?? what enjoyment do your special needs children get from learning equipiment?? what gets a reaction from them??

i dont want you to thinks that i dont know my market, im just wanting real input from real people.

thanks again

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Originally Posted By: adz
thanks again for your posts.

i'm more wanting thoughts on special needs equipiment than every day toys. i want to cater for all disabilities. what works?? what doesnt?? what enjoyment do your special needs children get from learning equipiment?? what gets a reaction from them??

i dont want you to thinks that i dont know my market, im just wanting real input from real people.

thanks again

I'm thinking that you could remove the phrase 'special needs' and ask the same questions - What enjoyment do children get from learning equipment, what gets a reaction - catering to all children does cater to all disabilities.

Building accessibility into a mainstream toy might be what we appreciate the most.

Check out the Universal Design articles, and Accessible Playgrounds and Play Spaces. The links listed after the narrative might lead you to a goldmine or two.

You might be successful in finding what you seek if you volunteer in a classroom with one child at a time. That seems to be the secret to designing for all children.

Good luck!

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Universal Design for Learning

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.