Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
smile I did better today. smile

I got the medicine.

I decided i will start with one class, either online or locally, and i spent some time looking online for classes and programs and their cost (but will need to look further).

And i didn't call both people, but i did call one of them and we talked for a long time, and that was a very good thing!

...thinking again of questions, I read a very good book a few years ago called, "10 Days to a Great New Life." The book was written in 1963 by an old-fashioned ad-man, and at times his language is unintentionally hilarious because of the old style hype and occassional sexism (too funny to make me angry), but the actual ideas in the book are very good and several i have not seen anywhere else. So, questions... in describing one of his techniques he asks,

Imagine you were suddenly faced with the necessity of doing things on ten times the scale you are now operating?

And he explains that often when we only challenge ourselves by a little bit, we aren't forced to think in whole new ways. He doesn't use the phrase "paradigm shift" but i think that is what he was trying to generate with that question. Say for example, you wanted to make ten times the sales each day you currently make, even though you are already working very hard. Or perhaps you wanted to produce ten times as much writing. Or maybe you wanted your garden to look ten times better, or be ten times better a parent. The question is meant to be just a little bit impossible... to get you to think outside of your current box... so that instead of simply thinking, "i'll work harder, faster, at doing the same thing," you will instead start thinking about how you can do things in a very different way... usually by finding what is most essential to the job. A good example would be how Henry Ford came up with the assembly line concept to produce cars at a far faster rate than they were being produced previously, and also making them more affordable at the same time. Henry Ford asked himself a similar "impossible" question.

So i started pondering this today regarding my "3 things." What if i needed to do 10 things i set out to do each day this week, or even 30... getting all of them done? Well, i couldn't run myself into the ground or make myself a nervous wreck, so i'd have to think differently about the whole thing. This made me realize, okay, i'd have to start first thing in the morning. I'd have to make sure no task was too complicated, and that most were quick. I couldn't spend a lot of time deliberating, but instead be very clear on what i was to do, before that time came. A routine would help, and a schedule. Most of all, i couldn't afford to stress about each thing. So this is how my thoughts started going.

Try it. What would you pick? What would you want to do ten times faster or better or bigger?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Wolf
Wolf
I have tried this sometimes in website designing. When we act under pressure of doing things very quickly, at least I failed.

Wolf
Wolf
I had made a thread about Time management. Look at the time with you and how you spend it.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta
I have tried this sometimes in website designing. When we act under pressure of doing things very quickly, at least I failed.

The idea, though, is not to work faster in the old way of doing things, but to find new ways of doing things. Let me offer another example:

The Fed Ex company revolutionized shipping. Up until their company started, shipping generally went from sender to addressee by as direct a route as possible. But Fed Ex thought of a way to do it fast (overnight) and efficiently, but they had to think in a completely different way. They thought of flying all the packages in the middle of the night to a central location (one city), where they were sorted and placed on the appropriate planes which were returning to the planes' original city. It's like a wheel with spokes... planes go from their original city to the hub and back again, but the packages travel from the rim of the wheel to the hub, and then back out on a different spoke to a different city along the rim. It was such a great idea, that other companies soon copied it.

Do you remember a few weeks ago we talked briefly about lateral thinking? Is there a different way of doing your work?

Wolf
Wolf
I have read all books by Debono on lateral thinking.
Now that you are asking me, let me think how I can do our work in a different way.
Let me give serious thought to that.
Will keep you posted.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
smile

Wolf
Wolf
Yes, thanks for making me think.
I had forgotten that i could think.
Thanks.

H
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
H
hahaha.

Forgotten you can think???!!

You are pretty darn smart even if this is an off day!!!!

Wolf
Wolf
I was speaking truth Holly.
Plain thinking is OK.
But to do lateral you need a reminder.
You did that.

Wolf
Wolf
The main problem with very intelligent people is-

They get good results with ordinary effort.
They never make great effort unless challenged.
It applies to you and me both.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.