Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: Tami S
Originally Posted By: hollyelise
That's a great exercise, Tami.

But what if we know our talents but feel emotionally obstructed from doing them?

I would ask what emotions are obstructing them in order to find a way around them. Sometimes, we don't need to remove the obstruction. We simply need to find a different way of going around it.

What happened with me? I found my wings when I looked at the bigger picture. I opened up to possibility and found the answer. It would never have come if I hadn't been thinking, "outside the box".

If you feel comfortable, I invite you to share what is obstructing you. Perhaps we can see things from a different perspective together.

Thank you, Tami. Yes i would. smile

I would say the obstruction is fear. I get very insecure when i start using my talents. I'm afraid of being noticed, of people around me then having heated emotions, of losing relationships, and of coming under severe attack and accusation.

If the fears were only while awake, i think i would feel more confident that i can progress through my fears by taking little steps. But unfortunately, whenever i take a step forward, the nightmares get worse. They can get worse well beyond the point where they are just unpleasant. They start to erode my ability to function by day, and then the whole thing comes down. It's like trying to build a brick building without mortar.

Like now. I think, because i am writing, and because i am learning so much from you and cd and others on the board and a friend of mine elsewhere, i am growing. I am moving, a little bit, out of my comfort zone. yesterday i started doing some preliminary for making art for a gallery. I've also made the decision to go back to school. But that has made my nightmares and sleep very disrupted. I probably have been averaging 4 1/2 hours a sleep at night for the last weeks. It gets harder to think clearly, and harder to be responsible towards myself. I've been doing stupid things... like procrastinating ordering checks when i ran out, so i will not have them when bills are due. The focusing affects my making the right decisions about my present priorities and I get more avoidance behavior of things that raise my anxiety. It is very stupid, but those are the kind of things that happen, each time i start to move forward and the sleep gets worse.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
Koala
H

What exactly does it mean to be successful first? Define success. What needs to happen before you feel your message is valuable enough?

Those are two different questions, with two different answers. To address the second question, "successful enough" in the context of where i would like to be before i begin coaching, is
i would like to (myself) be better at what i think of as basic functioning skills in my community.

I didn't get my driver's license until i was 40. There is a long, complicated history behind that, but i worked through it and i got my license, and i was so proud. I didn't have a car though. A few years later, i got a wonderful dream job for which i needed a car. So i bought one and began commuting. It was scary, but i did it. But i was only on the job a month... their budget was messed up and they let me go and did not refill the position for a year (instead only contracting out by the hour absolute essential jobs)... even though the job i had was an essential position. So then i had car payments and no job. And i should have looked for work right away... i did actually, but half-heartedly. I was kind of messed up about applying for jobs, felt i was not "good enough." Still have a self esteem problem. So i teach... because then i work for myself and don't apply, and can't be fired or let down like that. But that's really not enough, and i feel i should work through my fear, and a few other avoidance behaviors, before i coach. I should be more financially stable too, i think, and i also have a buggaboo about phones (goes back to the stalking).

So i guess, that, essentially, makes up some of my present goals:

-get more comfortable driving
-be confident enough that applying for work is not a problem
-get comfortable receiving phone calls and phone messages again promptly
-get more financially stable, and where savings/investments are growing
-throw out any other odd avoidance behavior

You and das have things to share that will benefit other people if you choose to share with them. Those who are looking for the answers you could help them find might feel they'd rather get their help NOW and not later.

Holly, regarding Coaching: Is it YOUR dream to be a coach?

That is a very convincing argument and it has stuck in my head. Helping others is a big motivator for me. I am very fortunate in having many "show through talents." Often the dilemma for me, has been in picking which direction to follow! smile

I have been thinking very seriously though, of returning to school, and in preparing for a future of coaching, writing, and lecturing.

I have received coaching myself... opted to try it after experimenting with therapy. My personal coaching experience happened to have been with someone who was also a trained therapist, and he had a practice before he decided to switch to coaching, so he could help people with forward thinking. He was with a very large, very well known organization with an excellent reputation. My experience with receiving coaching was interesting and difficult. My coach had some serious issues himself, and got too personally attached in me. He kept pulling my attention away from the three goals i'd set to work on in coaching and gave me additional problems, which i felt left me less stable. When i was in therapy, i set four goals. In 10 weeks i accomplished 3 and partially accomplished the 4th before ending therapy, with my therapist's blessing. In contrast, in coaching i set 3 goals and in a year accomplished none of them, not even a good start. His behavior at times teetered on the unethical. I would call him on it, so we actually did a lot of arguing! I eventually won, but it felt like a not-good marriage. hahaha I learned a lot from the experience... mostly in the form of "what not to do" and "what not to accept from others" and even made mental notes of, "how NOT to coach." smile But coaching itself, i still think is an absolutely GREAT idea!!! If i had any money, i'd find another coach this very second and sign up!!!

I am interested in coaching others. I think it would be enjoyable. It's a little scary to have that responsibility, but i think i could really help people. I think i would like to get a masters in psychology, but i would like to know more, Tami, about your coaching school. Perhaps that would be the shortest route to getting into practice and then i could work on psychology degrees additionally.

H
Koala
Koala
H

If you have any questions about coaching, I'd be happy to answer them. Holly, one thing I have observed by how you've shared yourself here is that you already have the signs of a fine coach. You're sensitive, you listen and you encourage smile

... So Holly, you talked about a time frame. That's an excellent idea. When were you thinking?

Thank you, Tami. It's good to know what others think of my posts, and i don't just like hearing the good, either. I value knowing how i can improve. smile

I'm currently working on a detailed, multi-goal plan for myself, at the urging of a friend who is a very good project director in his own business. I don't have goal dates on most of the stuff yet. I also need ways to measure improvement in some areas. I'm trying first to figure out my priorities for the rest of this summer... what i would like to accomplish by September... i have to figure out a new roof for the house too and i'm working to become more fit...and then after i have a plan for summer, i'll figure what will follow the next nine months. I need some information for setting some of the dates... schooling options, mostly.

Could you tell me more about your coaching education, most particularly how quickly you could enroll and how quickly you were able to begin coaching? Is it expensive?

I guess i would like to reach some of my goals no later than beginning to coach. In some cases, with this plan... i have to make some decisions soon as to whether i will prioritize or choose one option, or another. There is only so much time, of course, and in my case, only so much emotional energy before the nightmares make it too stressful for me to continue. I'd rather increase my tolerance for change and progress with a lot of energy and confidence, but if it is necessary to proceed slowly for me to get there at all, then i will. I'll do what it takes to get there.

Thank you so much, Tami, for your wonderful thoughts and knowlege! I feel so fortunate to know you and many others here at Bella, who have such valuable insights and experiences! I get so much out of it! Thank you. smile

Shark
Shark

But what if we know our talents but feel emotionally obstructed from doing them?

I would ask what emotions are obstructing them in order to find a way around them. Sometimes, we don't need to remove the obstruction. We simply need to find a different way of going around it.

If you feel comfortable, I invite you to share what is obstructing you. Perhaps we can see things from a different perspective together.

I would say the obstruction is fear. I get very insecure when i start using my talents. I'm afraid of being noticed, of people around me then having heated emotions, of losing relationships, and of coming under severe attack and accusation.

If the fears were only while awake, i think i would feel more confident that i can progress through my fears by taking little steps. But unfortunately, whenever i take a step forward, the nightmares get worse. They can get worse well beyond the point where they are just unpleasant. They start to erode my ability to function by day, and then the whole thing comes down. It's like trying to build a brick building without mortar.

Like now. I think, because i am writing, and because i am learning so much from you and cd and others on the board and a friend of mine elsewhere, i am growing. I am moving, a little bit, out of my comfort zone. yesterday i started doing some preliminary for making art for a gallery. I've also made the decision to go back to school. But that has made my nightmares and sleep very disrupted. I probably have been averaging 4 1/2 hours a sleep at night for the last weeks. It gets harder to think clearly, and harder to be responsible towards myself. I've been doing stupid things... like procrastinating ordering checks when i ran out, so i will not have them when bills are due. The focusing affects my making the right decisions about my present priorities and I get more avoidance behavior of things that raise my anxiety. It is very stupid, but those are the kind of things that happen, each time i start to move forward and the sleep gets worse.

Holly, I am truly honored that you feel I have a little part in your moving forward and that you are willing to share even more with me now.

The first question I would ask is in regards to your fear and your belief system. From what you've said it sounds like you have a very strong belief system that isn't working for you.

One of the things I do with clients is ask them if they want to create NEW belief systems based on who they are now, in this very moment. Part of creating a life that reaches our full potential is changing our belief systems to fit the new life we want.

I've used this idea of creating new belief systems personally and it has worked very well for me. It has also worked well for my clients. I do find most of the belief systems have fear attached to them. (Mine sure did!)

For the purposes of this forum, I will assume you have decided you DO want to create a new belief system. (Please tell me your decision when you respond later.)

We do this by looking at your current specific belief system for a short moment, and only to understand when you established the belief (the WHY is not important so much as understanding what the belief is that we'd like to change). From now on, I will call this current belief system the "old belief system" because you will be making a new one.

We'll go through this process a few questions at a time:

In your words, what statement would accurately define your old belief system around using your talents? (Like cause and effect for example)

I'm going to ask you to take a momentary leap of faith. Pretending your fears don't exist, just for a moment, what would be your ideal belief system about using your talents? What positive thing do you WANT to believe would happen? Write a statement that would define that new belief system.

I don't want to get too far ahead, so I'll wait for your reply before going further.

Warmly,

Tami

P.S. Would this series of posts make a good new thread? We're kind of off the "robots" topic and it might be easier for others to follow along for their own self development as well.

I'll be happy to respond to your other posts later since I have other commitments at this time. Gotta Go!

Tami is an Executive Leadership and Business Women's Coach. She invites women to use their genius in business in today's wild economy. http://www.UlimateBusinessCamp.com
H
Koala
Koala
H
Yes, Tami. When i had a coach, i told him the first day i wanted to replace some beliefs that weren't working well for me with ones that would be more beneficial. He took me through some exercises, and these are the ones i came up with. Though he did not suggest it, i particularly wished to have ones that ...i don't know how to describe this... but that for the most part were tied to my actions, so that the power was more in my lap... do you know what i mean? These are the beliefs i picked, and you will see one of them has to do with talents:

I am eager to celebrate my gifts and offer them to the world.

I fully support my happiness and success through my focused actions and thoughts.

I enjoy expressing myself freely and confidently, in harmony with my desired outcome.

I openly embrace the abundant happiness my life has to offer.

I transform all in my path into good luck.

The more i am my true self, the closer i draw my true love.

I choose to be confident, optimistic, and cheerful.

I am loving and open to receive love in all of my relationships.

I am free to follow my heart and enjoy being and revealing my true self.

The power to determine my destiny is in accepting full responsibility for who i am, my circumstances, and my future.

Well, Tami, cd, everyone... how am i doing on these things? You can probably see better than i, if i have been behaving these last months in accordance with these beliefs or not. So am i?

Shark
Shark
Holly, thank you for sharing your desired belief systems with all of us here. You have a great level of awareness. It was wonderful to read beliefs that empower you. I get what you mean by putting the responsibility in your hands. Of course you know that I agree wholeheartedly with your belief, "The power to determine my destiny is in accepting full responsibility for who i am, my circumstances, and my future."

I have been able to see some of these belief systems in action from what you have shared. What is even more important is whether you feel you are operating from these belief systems you set. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate where you are now compared to where you want to be following these beliefs in every area of your life?

Now, I must return to the original belief system around your current fear. For this is the one you indicated is tripping you up. We must get very specific.

What is this current belief that is keeping you from all you want to express and be in this world? It is very important to define it so that you may begin to take its power away and restore the power back to you. (I assure you this is not to focus on the negative that has happened in your life). Once you define it, we can figure out what to do with it. (Sometimes it is as simple as breaking your current agreement with the old belief system, but we will get to that after.)

Tami is an Executive Leadership and Business Women's Coach. She invites women to use their genius in business in today's wild economy. http://www.UlimateBusinessCamp.com
Shark
Shark
[quote=Tami S]
Could you tell me more about your coaching education, most particularly how quickly you could enroll and how quickly you were able to begin coaching? Is it expensive?

Holly, I will get back to the rest of this post later, but I've run out of time again. My in-laws are here from out of town and every minute seems filled right now.

I thought I'd give you the link to the Coaching School I went to. I explored a lot of programs before choosing it and I would personally do this program again, but not for all the reasons you might think. It will be able to answer more questions later.

http://www.coachtrainingalliance.com/

I'll warn you that they kind of misrepresent how much work it is to go through the program. It's a lot more than they lead you to believe. However, it doesn't take long to get started and it's only about 6 months for the initial certification.

If you suddenly get inspired to enroll, email me first because the instructors are all different and you may like one's style over another. Feel free to ask more questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Once you're on your way, you could easily pursue your psychology.

Wolf
Wolf
Holly, why do you want to join a coaching school?

Shark
Shark

I hear you. Is what you have to gain worth more than what you have to lose?

Does your ability to sleep without nightmares depend on the time of day or night you are sleeping? For example, what happens when you nap during the day to make up for lost sleep at night?

Besides lack of sleep, what other power do these nightmares have over you?

Like now. I think, because i am writing, and because i am learning so much from you and cd and others on the board and a friend of mine elsewhere, i am growing. (That's so exciting, Holly!)

I am moving, a little bit, out of my comfort zone. yesterday i started doing some preliminary for making art for a gallery. I've also made the decision to go back to school. But that has made my nightmares and sleep very disrupted. I probably have been averaging 4 1/2 hours a sleep at night for the last weeks. It gets harder to think clearly, and harder to be responsible towards myself. I've been doing stupid things... like procrastinating ordering checks when i ran out, so i will not have them when bills are due. The focusing affects my making the right decisions about my present priorities and I get more avoidance behavior of things that raise my anxiety. It is very stupid, but those are the kind of things that happen, each time i start to move forward and the sleep gets worse.

So you've noticed a specific pattern when you begin to move forward. Have you noticed anything that trips up that pattern?

Holly, right now I want to honor your intelligence. I see you as such a brilliant person. I invite you to look at things from a different perspective and see what you come up with. See my questions in bold above.

Shark
Shark
Holly, I've made comments in your post below...

What exactly does it mean to be successful first? Define success. What needs to happen before you feel your message is valuable enough?

Those are two different questions, with two different answers. To address the second question, "successful enough" in the context of where i would like to be before i begin coaching, is
i would like to (myself) be better at what i think of as basic functioning skills in my community.

I didn't get my driver's license until i was 40. There is a long, complicated history behind that, but i worked through it and i got my license, and i was so proud. I didn't have a car though. A few years later, i got a wonderful dream job for which i needed a car. So i bought one and began commuting. It was scary, but i did it. But i was only on the job a month... their budget was messed up and they let me go and did not refill the position for a year (instead only contracting out by the hour absolute essential jobs)... even though the job i had was an essential position. So then i had car payments and no job. And i should have looked for work right away... i did actually, but half-heartedly. I was kind of messed up about applying for jobs, felt i was not "good enough." Still have a self esteem problem. So i teach... because then i work for myself and don't apply, and can't be fired or let down like that. But that's really not enough, and i feel i should work through my fear, and a few other avoidance behaviors, before i coach. I should be more financially stable too, i think, and i also have a buggaboo about phones (goes back to the stalking).

So i guess, that, essentially, makes up some of my present goals:

-get more comfortable driving
-be confident enough that applying for work is not a problem
-get comfortable receiving phone calls and phone messages again promptly
-get more financially stable, and where savings/investments are growing
-throw out any other odd avoidance behavior

Which of these goals is tied into your nightmare related fear and which ones are not?

You and das have things to share that will benefit other people if you choose to share with them. Those who are looking for the answers you could help them find might feel they'd rather get their help NOW and not later.

Holly, regarding Coaching: Is it YOUR dream to be a coach?

That is a very convincing argument and it has stuck in my head. Helping others is a big motivator for me. I am very fortunate in having many "show through talents." Often the dilemma for me, has been in picking which direction to follow! smile

If you could only pick ONE thing, which one would have the most positive or powerful impact in your life?

I have been thinking very seriously though, of returning to school, and in preparing for a future of coaching, writing, and lecturing.

I explore you to decide what you really want it to look like first before you determine the "how of doing it? Therefore, if you could fast forward in the future to after you've done whatever education you need, what would your life look like then?

I have received coaching myself... opted to try it after experimenting with therapy. My personal coaching experience happened to have been with someone who was also a trained therapist, and he had a practice before he decided to switch to coaching, so he could help people with forward thinking. He was with a very large, very well known organization with an excellent reputation. My experience with receiving coaching was interesting and difficult. My coach had some serious issues himself, and got too personally attached in me. He kept pulling my attention away from the three goals i'd set to work on in coaching and gave me additional problems, which i felt left me less stable. When i was in therapy, i set four goals. In 10 weeks i accomplished 3 and partially accomplished the 4th before ending therapy, with my therapist's blessing. In contrast, in coaching i set 3 goals and in a year accomplished none of them, not even a good start. His behavior at times teetered on the unethical. I would call him on it, so we actually did a lot of arguing! I eventually won, but it felt like a not-good marriage. hahaha I learned a lot from the experience... mostly in the form of "what not to do" and "what not to accept from others" and even made mental notes of, "how NOT to coach." smile But coaching itself, i still think is an absolutely GREAT idea!!! If i had any money, i'd find another coach this very second and sign up!!!

Yikes, what an experience! shocked Hold on to those mental notes on how not to coach, Holly! None of us likes to be told what to do! I'm amazed you stuck with it as long as you did. From what you've told me, it doesn't sound like you experienced client directed coaching as I explained it to you earlier. The kind of coaching I explained is part of the coaching qualities required to be a member of the largest governing coaching organization, The International Coaching Federation.

I am interested in coaching others. I think it would be enjoyable. It's incredibly fulfilling when you truly desire to empower people to live wonderful lives. It's a little scary to have that responsibility, but i think i could really help people. I understand what you mean, but it's actually more about shifting the responsibility to the client so they eventually take the responsibility themselves to create their ideal life. I think i would like to get a masters in psychology, but i would like to know more, Tami, about your coaching school. Perhaps that would be the shortest route to getting into practice and then i could work on psychology degrees additionally. [b]This is why I went the route I did. I actually was looking at getting my Master's in Counselling. I have a Bachelor's degree which would have counted towards the program I was looking into. I discovered coaching when I was trying to find programs I could take online. I realized it was the quickest route to making a difference in people's lives NOW! It seems so much more powerful than counselling that I now only want to pursue classes centered around coaching. I want to do more around psychology too, but I see no need to spend years in school when I can accomplish it more quickly through shorter coaching psychology classes.

Within a very short time in the program, you could start taking clients, make an income and still pursue your education.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.