Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#323359 06/19/07 01:16 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
If you have managed to stop nightmares, please tell us how you did that.

Thanks.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Modern Woman #326798 07/05/07 04:47 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
No response?

Modern Woman #326938 07/05/07 11:12 PM
H
Koala
Koala
H
Thank God for Google!

...look, CD! smile

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

hollyelise #326958 07/06/07 02:30 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
Yes.

Modern Woman #326959 07/06/07 02:31 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
How to Stop Recurring Nightmares

If you have a recurring nightmare or night terror that is causing you anxiety, Dr. Phil has some advice:

* There is a difference between a nightmare and a night terror. Nightmares tend to occur several hours into the sleep cycle, and there's usually not any moving. Night terrors occur during the first hour or two of sleep, and involve moving around.

* Dreams of any kind usually reflect unfinished business from your life or from just that day. Thoughts and fears that you may suppress while you're awake reside in your subconscious and can manifest when you're in a dream state. For example, nightmares may evolve from feelings of inadequacy or of not being worthy.

* Nightmares that start after the birth of a child can represent mild postpartum depression.

* Nightmares that repeat a traumatic event reflect a normal psychic healing process, and should diminish in frequency and intensity if recovery is progressing.

* If you have unfinished emotional business while you're asleep, you can finish it while you're awake. Set up a ritual before you go to bed. Things that you can do:

1) Talk about the nightmare with someone. Give it a voice. Describe it fully, scene by scene, what happened and how you felt.
2) Write it out. Write out the whole scenario, including what happens when you wake up, if you sleepwalk, etc.
3) Act it out. Play all the characters involved.
4) Imagine a more pleasant ending. It sounds simple, but getting every neurological loop involved can help finish the business.

* If those rituals don't lessen the nightmares, take a closer look at your internal dialogue. What you tell yourself can have a dramatic influence on your subconscious.

The Association for the Study of Dreams offers additional information:

* About five to 10 percent of adults have nightmares once a month or more frequently.
* Many people experience nightmares after a traumatic event such as surgery, loss or an accident.
* Others experience nightmares when they are undergoing stress in their waking lives, such as a change on the job, pregnancy, moving, financial concerns, etc.
* Nightmares and night terrors arise from different physiological stages of sleep. Children who have night terrors also may have a tendency to sleepwalk and/or urinate in bed. The causes of night terrors are not well understood. Children usually stop having them by puberty. For adults, night terrors may be associated with stress.

Source-BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Modern Woman #326966 07/06/07 02:45 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
I noted-

many people get nightmares.

Also-

* Dreams of any kind usually reflect unfinished business from your life or from just that day
nightmares may evolve from feelings of inadequacy or of not being worthy.

* Nightmares that repeat a traumatic event reflect a normal psychic healing process, and should diminish in frequency and intensity if recovery is progressing.

and-

If you have unfinished emotional business while you're asleep, you can finish it while you're awake. Set up a ritual before you go to bed. Things that you can do:

1) Talk about the nightmare with someone. Give it a voice. Describe it fully, scene by scene, what happened and how you felt.
2) Write it out. Write out the whole scenario, including what happens when you wake up, if you sleepwalk, etc.
4) Imagine a more pleasant ending. It sounds simple, but getting every neurological loop involved can help finish the business.

Source-BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by cdmohatta; 07/06/07 02:46 AM.
Modern Woman #326968 07/06/07 02:47 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
I could not understand this-
f you have unfinished emotional business while you're asleep, you can finish it while you're awake. Set up a ritual before you go to bed. Things that you can do:

Modern Woman #327040 07/06/07 08:04 AM
H
Koala
Koala
H
I think they wrote unclearly... they strung together a couple of ideas making it look like they were connected.

"If you have unfinished emotional business while you're asleep, you can finish it while you're awake." ...may mean if you didn't finish your dream, you can kind of give your own ending to the dream. Alternatively, he may be referring to nightmares in general being thought of as unfinished emotional business... so for example if you've been dreaming about your father, perhaps you need to talk with him.

"Setting up a ritual before you go to bed." ...i have done this. It's just to help you fall asleep and might offer a slight sense of security because of the familiarity.

"Talk about the nightmare with someone..." I can't imagine that being wise to do right before bed. Besides, it will be fresher in the mind after waking.

hollyelise #327053 07/06/07 08:57 AM
Wolf
OP Offline
Wolf
"Talk about the nightmare with someone..." I can't imagine that being wise to do right before bed. Besides, it will be fresher in the mind after waking.

Can you talk about it during the day? That helps?

Modern Woman #327223 07/07/07 01:38 AM
H
Koala
Koala
H
For years now i've been trying to forget my dreams quickly when i wake, because i find it helps me improve my mood. But i might want to try "changing the endings" of the dreams to better outcomes, in which case, i'd have to start remembering them again. I can do that fairly easily if i choose.

What do you think, CD? Would you like to share your dreams too?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.