disabilities or delays are not invited to mainstream
events for incoming students, and miss out on learning
helpful information about their school district and
options available to all children.

I know that many children in special education
preschool are already scheduled for IEP or IEP
planning meetings in Spring, but they may be
missing kindergarten preparation activities
like touring buildings and meeting teachers.

Do you have any advice for families of four year
olds who have special needs? How does your local
district register incoming kindergartners? Does the
special education preschool have transition activities?

Thanks!

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Kindergarten Transition
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Hello All!

Do you have recommendations for children's
books, DVDs, etc about starting kindergarten?

I am especially interested in any that feature inclusive classrooms.

Thanks!

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Elementary School Transition
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

S
S
My 5 yr old started kindergarten this year and it was far more stressful than we had anticipated.

We were caught off guard since he had no behaviour problems in his daycare. And, since he had been in daycare since his 1st birthday, he was used to the routine of the day and so on.

But, in my highly biased opinion, :-) I think in retrospect that he may have had problems due to two avoidable factors. One is teacher training. At the daycare, virtually all staff had ECE (Early Childhood Education) certificates or degrees. And the entire program was well structured to meet the needs of the students at that age.

In the school environment, overstressed teachers are required to follow a strict curriculum that dictates what kids do, what they learn, when and how. Faced with that task, and too many kids, compliance and conformity end up being the teacher's primary goals if they have any hope of an orderly classroom.

For special need kids who take a bit longer to thing things through, or just think in a different manner, the notion of conformity to a wrongly paced curriculum is bound to be defiance. And then, when they are punished for not being compliant, they only behave worse, because their need for emotional support is greater than usual.

Can you tell I'm feeling a tad frustrated with "the system" at the moment? :-(

I don't think blaming the teachers is the answer either. They are certainly not well supported either.

Homeschooling is becoming more appealling all the time....

Anna

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.... John Lennon

Parakeet
Parakeet
Anna,

As I was reading your post, I was thinking, "Why isn't she homeschooling?"

Then I saw the end of your message! smile

Let me know if you need any help getting started (should you decide to do it). It's wonderful!! smile

Jan
Former public school teacher turned homeschooling mom

S
S
Hi Jan!

Thanks for the offer of help. I may just take you up on it down the road.

For now, I see mega impediments to my taking the homeschooling route:

1) income... can't sort out how I could find time to homeschool when I also need to work

2) expenses... having special need kids means additional expenses as it is.. homeschooling will only add to that -unfairly I might add. You'd think that the Ministry of Education would provide direct financial support of some kind for homeschooling - not to mention supplies

3) time... my day is already time stressed. Can't figure out how I could add homeschooling to the existing mix (although avoiding stressful teacher and IEP meetings would be lovely)

4) respite.... okay, okay, I admit it. I'm a better mom when I don't spend 24 /7 with my kids. School is currently both my work time and my down time.

5) experience... I've never trained as a teacher, although I've done lots of adult training. Not sure I know how to go about it.

No doubt these are the same impediments that all parents face when considering homeschooling. However, in my research to date, I haven't really seen how parents have specifically addressed these issues. Maybe it's just because it would be too personal, but I'd love to hear the voices of experience on these issues.

Jan?

Not that I'm putting you on the spot or anything.... :-)

Anna

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.... John Lennon

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Originally Posted By: Special Needs Mom
My 5 yr old started kindergarten this year and it was far more stressful than we had anticipated.

...For special need kids who take a bit longer to thing things through, or just think in a different manner, the notion of conformity to a wrongly paced curriculum is bound to be defiance. And then, when they are punished for not being compliant, they only behave worse, because their need for emotional support is greater than usual.

Can you tell I'm feeling a tad frustrated with "the system" at the moment? :-(

I don't think blaming the teachers is the answer either. They are certainly not well supported either.

Homeschooling is becoming more appealling all the time....

We were fortunate in that we had several kindergarten classes in each of our local schools; the difference each teacher made as well as the assortment of students enrolled made each classroom unique and sometimes not so wonderful.

My son had a great experience in his mainstream classroom in part because his outstanding teacher welcomed parent volunteers, and in part because she structured their hours there so that it would have been an inclusive classroom even if he had not been enrolled.

These days it seems as though more 'mainstream' kindergartners have extra needs that must challenge the most experienced, well-trained and centered teachers, while they find less support and more distractions from administrators.

I had to laugh when I read your concerns and perceived drawbacks to homeschooling - those are some that are covered in most introductory homeschool information meetings, web pages and email discussion groups. Many homeschooling moms would have expected to be voted 'least likely to homeschool' right up to the time they made that decision.

Wishing you all the best,

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Kindergarten Transition
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
I have added links to recommended books and DVDs - thanks!

Now, another question about kindergarten - does your district offer full day kindergarten, or half days; if half days, and did you have a choice between morning and afternoon sessions? Also, did your child have the option of going to a special ed session and an additional mainstream kindergarten session? I have heard that options vary from district to district, and even among elementary schools within the same district.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Universal Design for Learning - Access
to General Education Curriculum
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.