logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I know someone who is an Adult Child of Alcoholism and am wondering if he could be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from his childhood experiences.

Is it possible for a grown man to have PTSD from things that occurred 20 years ago? If it was never treated in any way?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Koala
Koala
H
Not only is it possible, it happens often.

I have heard from one source that the most common cause of PTSD is child abuse. PTSD is known to sometimes have delayed reaction... it can materialize even years after the event or events.

Symptoms may include anxiety, chronic nightmares, panic attacks, lost memories, flashbacks (where memories of trauma seem to force themselves to the surface), in some cases body memories and physical illnesses related to the trauma, depression... there are lots more. A professional should determine if it is PTSD or something else... there are other possibilities such as other anxiety disorders.

Most proscribed treatment is psychotherapy, and sometimes medications such as Prozac are chosen in addition to psychotherapy.

Most people with ptsd show improvement over time, and many will eventually lose their symptoms completely. But symptoms can be severe, and people with ptsd have a higher incidence of suicide, self-harm (such as cutting) and other problems, so getting help is probably a very good idea! smile

P
Gecko
Gecko
P
Yes Jan, it certainly is possible, and frequently happens if the situation has not been dealt with and 'worked through' at the time. It can rest dormant for as much as 50 years. This was my personal experience.

So, the answer is a very definite 'Yes'!

Patience.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
John Adams

D
das Offline
Gecko
Gecko
D
Yes. That can happen.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
This man has never dealt with the things from his past and is, in many ways, numb emotionally. At the same time, he gets angry and stressed easily over things that really aren't that upsetting (to the outsider). I've known him for about 15 years and it seems to be getting worse rather than better (since the loss of a loved one).

I don't think he'd go to therapy but I'll talk with him about it..

Last edited by JanZeiger; 05/26/07 03:26 AM.
H
Koala
Koala
H
Numbness can be a sign of something called "dissociation," a clinical term for descibing a coping mechanism for surviving trauma where you detatch your emotions from an event, but it often later creates problems. Numbness is also sometimes associated with elevated nor-adrenalin levels, a frequent result of ptsd. Not easy on the body.

I have a suggestion. I'm not sure how you might interest him in seeing this, but i used to visit a discussion board set up particularly for survivors of trauma, and those with ptsd and other problems related to trauma. If he saw that there are others experiencing the same things he is, he might find he can more easily talk about it with them, or would at least get something out of hearing their stories. There is also a lot of great information and help at the site about ptsd through the links. He will see that there ARE men there, too. Perhaps not as many, but i knew several when i was there. Some of the men i spoke with were victims of sexual abuse as children, some had trauma related to having been a victim of crime or having been in a bad accident... there is a little of everything there, and certainly survivors of domestic violence, too.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

P
Gecko
Gecko
P
Excellent advice from Hollyelise.

I know how hard it is to make that first visit to a therapist, but perhaps if he understood that he will not be judged, and that his experiences will not be 'made small', and that a therapist will offer support and assistance, it may give him the courage to seek help.

Starting by joining this forum and just reading, can be such a comfort, just in knowing that he is not alone, and that people DO understand.

I do hope he will at least give it a try!

All my good thoughts and wishes are with him.

Patience.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
John Adams

K
K
Hi,
I have PTSD and it didn't hit till 40 after something very traumatic. I had many traumas before the last one but it was as if something just snapped. I have not found therapy as helpful as a good psychiatrist and taking my meds and watching my cues. I have gone from having an episode almost 4 times a year to maybe one or two.

Of course as my doctor explained it is not curable if it persists for years like mine has. It is like a scratch in a record and everytime the record comes around to the skip I have an episode. It can also be triggered by certain things/ places that today I avoid.

A good psychiatrist can spot it pretty easily. Mine started with violent outbursts that didn't make any sense. I can feel it coming over me and if I don't leave right that second it is too late. I try and just leave the room or situation and within ten minutes I am ok. If I can't then I may throw something or yell out some expletive and then exit the room. If I am cornered and it happens I am liable to do anything to get away from the person or room. Once I threw shoes out of my house at someone until they backed off. It really is like temporary insanity and then within a few minutes it is over and I feel totally drained from the adrenaline. today I avoid situations in which I feel powerless. That is my biggest trigger.

I take a brand new med protocal at bedtime of 4mg of Minipres for nightmares and that works out nicely so far. I also take 4mg of Lorazepam three times a day and always keep one on me at all times just in case. It's been 7 years and it still works to keep me below radar. The onset of an attack.

I know I felt a lot better after I knew I wasn't going crazy and what was causing it. Talking about the trauma doesn't seem to help only makes it worse. It is like a very repressed memory that is buried so deep in my subconsious.

If your friend has any questions then drop me a line. This is something you can live with and have a half way decent life if you get the right help.

Good Luck,
Keleee smile

Last edited by keleee; 06/04/07 06:07 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.