Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I am on birth control, and yesterday I was prescribed Amoxicillin for a sinus infection. I already knew, and my doctor reminded me that anti-biotics can decrease the effectiveness of birth control, and that you should always use another form of protection. I understand all of this, but my question is, does it affect birth control only on the days you take the anti-biotics, or does it still affect it when you are finished taking them. My last day taking the anti-biotics will be Dec 30th. So the next day, would I still have to be careful?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Wolf
Wolf
You will have to ask your doctor about that. this depends upon the speed at which the anti biotics are metabolized by your body.

L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
I know nobody can truly answer this for me, but opinions are always helpful. Here's my situation...

Dec 17 was my last period. Then on Dec 21 I started taking amoxicillin for 10 days. At that time I also started a new pack of birth control pills (and I know antibiotics decrease the birthcontrol). Well on Dec 25 and 26 my husband and I had sex without a condom, but he pulled out (which I also know isn't the best form)According to online calculators I would have been ovulating around Dec 27. And would have been most fertile some time that week. Im curious what the likelyhood of pregnancy would be in my specific situation.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
You can take a look at

Tri-Sprintec is a birth-control pill, used for the prevention of pregnancy.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

PlusDrugStore-With us buying drugs online is 100% safe and secure|Women's Health Drugs

M
M
Hi, Lala,

Most antibiotics do not decrease the effectiveness of pills, with exception for rifampin. Studies clearly show that rifampin decreases the effectiveness of birth control pills in preventing ovulation. Other antibiotics, particularly penicillins (like amoxicillin) and tetracyclines, could impair the effectiveness of birth control pills. So, Amoxicillin can have some impairing effect, but unlikely significantly reduce the effectiveness of the pills.

Likelyhood of pregnancy in your situation will be low, slightly higher than if you wouldn't take antibiotic.

Amoeba
Amoeba
I reckon it would be best if you waited for another week.

Moderated by  Stacy - Conception 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.